Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #1

When should you pay for a new coach

Our New Aire is due to arrive next week and I'm wondering at what point I should sign the loan papers with the dealer. I am assuming I would inspect the coach, go for a test drive, and then based on everything being satisfactory sign the loan docs. Does this process sound right? Has anyone ever refused delivery and would not pay for their new coach until something was fixed?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do they already have your down payment? That probably is not refundable if you don't like it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #3

We did final inspection and 4 hour walk through before we signed pap ers
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

We bought both of our new 5th wheels from our dealer with nothing but a handshake until his crew did a 3 day test of everything while on a full hook up. After his tests and our PDI of 1/2 day we paid up.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Do they already have your down payment? That probably is not refundable if you don't like it.
They do have a non refundable down payment. However, I am thinking they would be more inclined to fix any issues quickly if I withheld payment until the work was done.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kwilkins,
The process you described is correct up to a point. If items need to be corrected they would be considered warranty work. If there is a safety issue that might be grounds to refuse delivery. However, one does not need to make the process contentious. I had several minor items that were corrected the day of delivery. I did accept delivery and they did fix the items immediately. This is why factory delivery is so good. You do pay for the coach before you go to Newmar for the PDI, but Newmar has dedicated techs to get everything taken care of immediately.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I'm curious. With factory delivery, could you take it on a one week test trip and then come back for factory repairs? Some problems are not apparent right away.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MRUSA14,
There are varying stories on this. A few are yes. Most are no. From what I know, I am in the no camp. One can make their list during the week of PDI. They will all be fixed. One needs a reason(s) to make a service appointment and a coach number (delivered coach number) to make a service appointment. Based on the lead times to get an appointment, it would be several months to return and by that time the list would grow. Now for the caveat. A King Aire customer may be treated differently than a Star level coach. That would be normal. A million bucks buys a better seat on the airplane than someone who pays the coach fare.

Good luck with Irma. I live in Wellington too.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Take a good look around to be sure there is no damage that happened during delivery. Rock chips and small dings may go unnoticed until you give it it's first bath. Sign on the dotted line after you have had the full PDI and test drive and are happy and some of the starry eyed haze has worn off!!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I'm curious. With factory delivery, could you take it on a one week test trip and then come back for factory repairs? Some problems are not apparent right away.
Yes, assuming you could get an appointment.

Might be different for FPU issues but Newmar service is booked several months in advance last I checked.

When we purchased at North Trail we paid for the coach and made an appointment a few days later for pickup.

A few problems were discovered at walk through and those were remedied before we left.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #11

i think your order is pretty close, based on what i have done....

get there, walk around coach, inspect...test drive....get back, put out slides, jacks down, inspect inside....

during this begin to make a list of things that need to be addressed....

go do paperwork while they are beginning to address the issues....

that's what i have done with the last 3 rigs i have bought....

rigs before that were lower end towables...different process...you're not hooking them up and towing them before you sign the papers...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
When I ordered the 2017 with factory pickup, I also scheduled a follow up appointment at the factory one month later. I asked about a split pickup for shake out, that was a no. I paid the dealer a few weeks in advance without seeing the coach. I've also paid the dealer in Florida where I'll pickup next week. These are brand new items, with a great warranty from a reputable company, much different if it was a used coach.

I'm sure you felt comfortable about your dealer before you placed the order.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
When I ordered the 2017 with factory pickup, I also scheduled a follow up appointment at the factory one month later. I asked about a split pickup for shake out, that was a no. I paid the dealer a few weeks in advance without seeing the coach. I've also paid the dealer in Florida where I'll pickup next week. These are brand new items, with a great warranty from a reputable company, much different if it was a used coach.

I'm sure you felt comfortable about your dealer before you placed the order.
agree with your points....

but you have already paid for your coach in full ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
agree with your points....

but you have already paid for your coach in full ?
Yes, why not? I haven't "accepted" it yet. Don't know if you've purchased a new Newmar before, but they have you do a thorough walk through and sign off on multiple items before you accept it.

You know by now that I don't worry. 😎
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote