Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

When SilverLeaf stops working

Our New Aire will arrive soon and I recently learned in addition to the SilverLeaf system it will have MyRozie onboard. There is a separate thread discussing the MyRozie.

My dealer does not carry the luxury line and I recently learned they do not have technicians who are familiar with SilverLeaf. The nearest dealer that carries the luxury line is hundreds of miles away. I am wondering what we will be dealing with if SilverLeaf has issues or stops working completely. For those with SilverLeaf can you share your experience with the following:

How ofter has SilverLeaf gone buggy or stopped working completely?

What functionality do you loose access to if SilverLeaf is having issues?

Are there any important functions of your coach (heat, cool, generator, water pump) that you loose complete control over without SilverLeaf?

For those that have had issues with SilverLeaf how difficult were they to resolve?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Our New Aire will arrive soon and I recently learned in addition to the SilverLeaf system it will have MyRozie onboard. There is a separate thread discussing the MyRozie.

My dealer does not carry the luxury line and I recently learned they do not have technicians who are familiar with SilverLeaf. The nearest dealer that carries the luxury line is hundreds of miles away. I am wondering what we will be dealing with if SilverLeaf has issues or stops working completely. For those with SilverLeaf can you share your experience with the following:

How ofter has SilverLeaf gone buggy or stopped working completely?

What functionality do you loose access to if SilverLeaf is having issues?

Are there any important functions of your coach (heat, cool, generator, water pump) that you loose complete control over without SilverLeaf?

For those that have had issues with SilverLeaf how difficult were they to resolve?
I really like the SilverLeaf platform, though yes you can lose house functions. There are a series of black boxes all over the coach that control various functions such as climate control, awnings, floor heat, etc. The good news is that each of these modules runs independent of the other, so one being offline doesn't cause loss of functionality on the other areas.

I recently had a comm error resulting from a module that lost power (the board upstream of it had to be replaced). When that happened, generator, water pump, tank sensors, and a few other things were offline. I was able to run the generator by using the manual switch on the generator itself (all switches in the house were inoperable) so that had a workaround, but the water pump and tank sensors did not. They were offline until I got a new board a couple weeks later.

As far as support, I also live far from any dealer who had capabilities in this area. I was able to troubleshoot my issues with a tech from SilverLeaf on the line who was quite helpful though.

FYI for those with coaches around the 2016 era, I learned while solving this issue that the version 1.21 of the Tile Heat Controller (TM-229) has a known bug and will fail at the 2 year mark. If you mail that module in, they will update it for free before it fails. If it fails after 2 years, the cost will be on you.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Here are the SilverLeaf Service Providers. More in the West.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #4

....suppose it is just envy on my part but I cant wrap my head around having to be totally dependent on automation [with no manual work around] to do the simplest things on an RV....and then have the audacity to call it luxury--really??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post

As an "expectant" owner of a coach with SilverLeaf, I share the same concern. After seeing your post I did some deep searches on this forum looking for those reporting problems.

Looks like Silverleaf made its way into Newmar around 2012 in the King Aire and has since been used in other luxury coaches. Did not see many problems posted. Looks like some recent problems with touch screen sensitivity.

SilverLeaf is a networked system of sensor and/or control modules using the RV-C network protocol. So all the modules are somewhat discrete communicating over a network back bone in the coach. It looks like prior installations in Newmar all came with two touch screen control panels, in the rear and the other near the cockpit.

The New Aire only comes with one touch screen control panel. So if the SilverLeaf control panel fails you have lost control of all the coach modules. So far I can't find anyway to override these modules manually and they are scattered all over the coach hooked up the network cables.

I am going to add a second touch screen module to my New Aire, probably up front like the Essex. Hope there is a network cable up there in the cockpit to make it easy.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #6

there are many mobile techs that are certified in silver leaf....

and perhaps RV service centers that are not dealers of new or used coaches...

have you tried searching for these type of options ?

silverleaf is not exclusive to newmar.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

I have an older version on SilverLeaf for my coach is a 2007 Newell. If my main SilverLeaf panel goes out, which it hasn't yet, I would only lose control of my floor radiant heat, auto fresh tank fill, and auto gen start. Everything else I can control through other backup systems on the coach.

I love our coach but am seriously looking at the New Aire to downsize so we can have a better selection of places to visit and my wife would drive if needed.
valentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love the assumption made in the thread title: "when Silverleaf stops working", not if. I know this comes from experience.

Automation is a double edged sword, great when it works, not great when it doesn't. I was told when I was young, if you make a career fixing things, you will always have a job...he was correct!
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Silverleaf 400 CL in my rig with two panels that control the whole rig. it's never gone out or required a reset in the 2½ years I've owned the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #10

My TM-229 is going back today under the update program. My coach has 3 displays plus the Wifi connected tablet that also allows full access to most house functions. This coach is new to me and I'm really liking the Silverleaf system and Silverleaf tech support has been very understand and patience with helping learn and understand the operations. When budget allows I'm going to upgrade my dash to the glass dash panel. Their website is quite informative if you are the techie type.

"when Silverleaf stops working": Silverleaf is a distributed control system and does not have a central point of failure. Each module is its own boss and if that module fails then you would get it replaced or repaired. Example the TM 229 which is going back for upgrade.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My limited experience - just 7 months into our new Essex ownership - is dealers who understand and can work on SilverLeaf/Rozie are few and far between. I signed up for access on the Silverleaf forum ... gives you access to other users and the SilverLeaf techs respond quickly to any questions. They will guide you through any troubleshooting and are also only a call away if you need further handholding. My issue was Rozie kept freezing, requiring the power to be turned off, then back on, to reboot. Turns out the telematics module needed its firmware updated. I shipped the unit back to them, they turned it around so I could pick it up at the next stop on my travels. The system is plug and play ... sure enough, the updated unit started right up with no issues.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Good Morning - those referencing the TM229 module, can you please advise where it is located; and, any other tips regarding removing it and shipping it to Silverleaf. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Jeff
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my rig there are modules hidden all over. There must be at least 10 of them in various places. I have to get out the wiring diagrams to find them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Good Morning - those referencing the TM229 module, can you please advise where it is located; and, any other tips regarding removing it and shipping it to Silverleaf. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Jeff
In my coach, it is on the passenger side in the last cargo compartment. The module is mounted on the chassis rail so very easy to spot. Unplug all the cables and dismount it for shipping to Silverleaf. They will provide you an RMA number to put on the envelope.