Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Where do I get a wiring diagram, or at least a fuse diagram?

My new to me 2005 Mountain Aire has a fuse panel in the most forward small basement bay under the drivers seat location. On the wall of it is an old fuse diagram that is now unreadable. Are these VIN specific or all all the coaches wired similarly? Where do I get a wiring diagram or at least a fuse diagram? Is this fuse panel in for forward drivers side basement bay the only fuse panel on the coach? If not where are he others?

I have Cummins engine and Spartan chassis books but there was no coach books in the owners manual briefcase on board. I did locate a 2005 Mountain Aire owners manual on line and have printed it out, but the information inside is very generic in nature, and doesn't go into details like fuses, etc.

Right now the drivers map light is inoperative, and the wall reading sconce directly behind it on the slide wall over the sofa is out too. I swapped out the bulbs but it wasn't that. I'm thinking that since they're so close together that it might be a fuse, but I have no idea where to start looking for the proper fuse with no readable fuse diagram available to me.

Of course if it's not the fuse I'll start metering the wires to track down where the issue is, but checking the fuse would be a really easy way to start the troubleshooting process. Any ideas on where to get all the pertinent fuse location "maps" for this fuse panel and any others that may be in the coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #2

Call Newmar, they'll email what you want. 1-(800)-731-8300 or email customerservice@newmarcorp.com
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #3

That fuse could be either in the panel you described or the panel with the rest of the AC shore power items.

The quick way to check fuses is to get a test light. Put the clip end on a good ground, turn the ignition on, and check each side of fuses for power. If one side doesn't have power but the other does the fuse will be blown. I can go through a well populated panel in about 30 seconds. You may find other fuses blown that you did not know.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
(Right now the drivers map light is inoperative, and the wall reading sconce directly behind it on the slide wall over the sofa is out too. I swapped out the bulbs but it wasn't that. I'm thinking that since they're so close together that it might be a fuse, but I have no idea where to start looking for the proper fuse with no readable fuse diagram available to me.)

Try rotating your headlight switch. That's how my driver's side map light turns off and on
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR161 View Post
(Right now the drivers map light is inoperative, and the wall reading sconce directly behind it on the slide wall over the sofa is out too. I swapped out the bulbs but it wasn't that. I'm thinking that since they're so close together that it might be a fuse, but I have no idea where to start looking for the proper fuse with no readable fuse diagram available to me.)

Try rotating your headlight switch. That's how my driver's side map light turns off and on
I'll try that, Steve - thanks!
Old 03-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #6

I had the same problem with the driver's side "map light" and little salon lights behind the driver seat, too. Your solution might not be the same as mine, but there may be hints in my story:

The salon lights were easy -- master switch on the wall and buttons on each light fixture. All were bad. In fact, every electrical problem involving anything anywhere on my rig has involved a bad switch. Unless there was an outlet associated. Then it was a bad outlet. I got to buying them all by the pound. Oh -- and if a light didn't work the bulb would be involved too. Except for that driver's side overhead map light.

The map light drove me nuts. I dismounted it and checked wires -- there were continuity issues. I couldn't find ground and I couldn't find voltage. The passenger-side switch operated the other one, but not this side. I found the forward fuse boxes and checked all -- no blown fuses and no continuity to the fixture. I finally tore out the pillar gauges and physically traced the wire down under the dash. I discovered 4 things that day:

1) the map light may never have been wired in, but there are a lot of hot and ground wires with nothing to do under there. It's like a breeding ground for different and competing wiring schemes gone feral. I think the assembler just gave up.

2) the wire is white and clearly labeled MAP LIGHT GROUND (might be courtesy light -- I forget) or something that should immediately make you go "hmmmmm" when you notice it's never been connected to anything. How did THAT go unsolved for 20 years? Or was it the hot side? Doesn't matter -- it was marked every foot and hanging. In the end you'll either figure out a way to get control from the main map light switch to way over there (and it may exist -- I couldn't find it) or you'll grab handy, feral wires and roll your own. If you're content to have only that rotary switch on the fixture, it's simple. With a 2w LED bulb in there it won't be loading down whatever you choose.

3) It's a really uncomfortable working position when you're older than the dirt your face is in during the work. Once you find the wires don't fight it. Plumb them up to something and get your face out of there. I'm sure it's a breeding ground for SARS under that dash. In fact I just decided that part of my coronavirus prevention effort is going to be not doing that again. Can't hurt.

4) Even if you can't use any of my experience, now you know that some of the Newmar wiring (or maybe it's Freightliner up there?) is actually labeled for the circuit it serves. That's kind of cool.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find fuse and wiring information in this link found in this sticky top of forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #8

Thanks! I see links for 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 Mountain Aire. Just my luck, I have a 2005!
Which would be most similar to my 2005?

Thanks for all the info and your PM to me, it's much appreciated!!!!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The link for 2006-07 should cover you these diagrams do not change that much, people with older coach's use them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #10

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Doug, do you have the manuals that came with coach? If so, there should be a small booklet/owners manual with a CD in one of the flaps. That CD will have a complete wiring diagram.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Best of luck getting a diagram from Newmar. I called a couple weeks ago to get one of the water pump and switches. I was told there are none as the workers make a wiring harness as they manufacture the coach. It sounded like whatever color of wire is available that is what the grab. I did notice as I was trying to trace wires there are many 3m type connectors using multiple color wires. It looks like at places they ran a bit short of one color and just grabbed what was laying there to put in next. That probably is not the case just my observation. But again, Newmar told me wiring diagrams do not exist. Our coach is a 2009. Best of luck getting your lights working.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Doug, do you have the manuals that came with coach? If so, there should be a small booklet/owners manual with a CD in one of the flaps. That CD will have a complete wiring diagram.
It's sort of odd - there's a black suitcase in the coach that I took home to sort through. It's got a big black binder from Spartan on the chassis with front and rear suspension info. It's also got a bunch of user manuals for many of the components on the coach - appliances, A/C, water heater, etc. There is absolutely NOTHING on the coach itself. Not a word. That's what I need to get my hands on - whatever Newmar put into the black suitcase on delivery is all gone.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
Best of luck getting a diagram from Newmar. I called a couple weeks ago to get one of the water pump and switches. I was told there are none as the workers make a wiring harness as they manufacture the coach. It sounded like whatever color of wire is available that is what the grab. I did notice as I was trying to trace wires there are many 3m type connectors using multiple color wires. It looks like at places they ran a bit short of one color and just grabbed what was laying there to put in next. That probably is not the case just my observation. But again, Newmar told me wiring diagrams do not exist. Our coach is a 2009. Best of luck getting your lights working.
Well, THAT doesn't sound promising......I've got the electrical info for the 2006-2007 Mountain Aire that 007 has in his links. Sounds like that's as about as complete as I'll be able to get.

Tags
fuse, wiring, wiring diagram