Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Where do you get your filters?

I need to get a new air filter for my Cummins ISL9 450. Where do you source the filters you buy? I can change an air filter so no need to take it to the Cummins dealer. They want $250 for that bad boy.

Maybe source one in Quartzite this week at the big RV show. They have maintenance parts there I'm sure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Dougs filter service in Escondido CA, 760-746-7146. Call and ask for Doug or Brandon, you may find cheaper on Amazon but that site is FULL OF CHINA KNOCKOFFS. He will ship any filter to you where ever you are

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't seen it there in a few years, but the Spartan Chassis truck use to be at Quartzsite every year. I would provide them my list of all my filters and a collapsible shopping cart and then pick it up later.

The past few years, I've been buying from the Freightliner dealer. I've only bought one in the past few years, I thought it was around $150.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just bought Air filter for my 450 ISL from Freightliner and it was $112. including tax ! All fuel filters I do buy from Cummins , And Generator filters come from Onan/Cummins
Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dav-cle thats a good price you got on the filter. I will check with Freightliner rather than Cummins. If I can't find it there I will check in Q. Hope to see DS Don and some of the others from the forum there this year.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Well, this thread begs the question, what should I carry in the belly all the time. I've had my 2012 MADP for several months now and already am scheduled to have it serviced in Gaffney in the spring.

As i have no service history other than an oil change just before I purchased it I plan on "the works" as the nice lady at Freightliner said....

So, with the ISL450 what should I carry?

I'm figuring belts and hoses, but how many are there? Does anyone know of a list out there?
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry the main belt and both fuel filters. The most common problem I have had (80%) from operating diesel generators for motion picture for many years has been fuel related. Second would be sensors.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a new air filter from Filterbarn.com. I searched the web and Filter Barn had the best price. You can cross reference you current filter number to find a replacement.

I carry spare fuel filters and spare belt, these can get me to the next town if I need something else.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I need to get a new air filter for my Cummins ISL9 450. Where do you source the filters you buy? I can change an air filter so no need to take it to the Cummins dealer. They want $250 for that bad boy.

Maybe source one in Quartzite this week at the big RV show. They have maintenance parts there I'm sure.
https://www.filterbarn.com/

Think they have taken care of me for the last 10+ years ... If not then Amazon.

Cheap or Easy - Works for Me.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
Well, this thread begs the question, what should I carry in the belly all the time. I've had my 2012 MADP for several months now and already am scheduled to have it serviced in Gaffney in the spring.

As i have no service history other than an oil change just before I purchased it I plan on "the works" as the nice lady at Freightliner said....

So, with the ISL450 what should I carry?

I'm figuring belts and hoses, but how many are there? Does anyone know of a list out there?
I do carry more than most, but I try not to go nuts. I carry a spare belt, both engine fuel filters, and generator fuel filter. I find if there are common parts that I read about that break frequently, I carry those. If I have a part that breaks prematurely and is inexpensive, I carry a spare. For example, the water pump latching controller that Newmar uses is an off brand and has gone bad in the past. I also carry a spare Oasis pump and tools to change it. Lot of issues with step motors in the past two years, so I have one of those.

So basically, I carry the essentials, but don't overdue it. I carry a couple of small sections of hose, but don't worry about the large hoses as they can be readily purchased. My supplies have gradually grown as I've needed things in the past 15 years of DP ownership.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #11

Cummins in Columbus Ohio put a new air filter in my ISM 500 for $131.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I too carry a spare belt, but what I would like is a shorter belt that will bypass the A/C compressor in case it seizes up.

Gona have to get a piece of string and measure the run.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Where do you get your filters?

Like others have said, I carry a spare serpentine belt, an oil filter, and both fuel filters. I do not keep a spare air filter because they age “on the shelf” and I want to have the new one as fresh as possible when it gets changed.

In twelve years of driving DP’s, I’ve had to replace two serpentine belts on the road. With side radiator, it only takes a few minutes. I carry a breaker bar to handle the idler pulley for that task.

When getting the oil changed, I buy a new oil filter and both fuel filters from the service guy (I use a Mobil Lube guy who comes to the house) and he installs the ones I have in the coach. The new ones then become my spares. Lube Guy also puts in a new fresh air filter.

I also carry a replacement DEF filter, but that’s only because they were selling them cheap at the Spartan shop. They normally only need to be changed once every four or five years.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Golfer Guy;5106854]I need to get a new air filter for my Cummins ISL9 450. Where do you source the filters you buy? I can change an air filter so no need to take it to the Cummins dealer. They want $250 for that bad boy.

Golfer Guy, I wanted to just mention that On Cummins Engines, it's crazy how many parts are specifically for the Freightliner chassis. A couple years ago I was chewing up serpentine belts every 800 miles with belts bought from Cummins, also took it to Freightliner service and they could not figure out the belt problem after replacing tensioner and lasering the pulleys. Called FCC and asked what belt matched my serial #, Bought one and have not had a problem in 30K miles. When I bought the coach i had taken it to Cummins to have all belts replaced and they must have just used the Cummins #, but sure didn't work for me !
To add to my post earlier, I do carry extra belts also. plus a fresh water pump for the house water !