Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Where should I set Shore Max??

I have a Ventana DP with an 8 kw Onan Diesel Generator. I have 6 days to 6-volt house batteries.

I'm wonder if I should change the default Shore Max setting of 30 Amps when I'm connected to 50 Amp service or am running the generator.

If I increase the setting to 50-amp, would that result in a quicker battery charge...might be useful when we're dry camping and run the generator mainly to recharge batteries? Any downside to resetting to 50-amp (other than forgetting to reset it to 30-amp when we only have 30-amp service)?

If I'm at home and want to charge up the batteries, would I lower this to 15-amps to keep from blowing the house fuse or is this taken care of when I set the EMS to 15 amps?
bobmoore1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #2

I will follow for answer...
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Not sure what system you have. My Magnum default is 50 amp but it will auto detect and display a 30 amp connection. You can easily test that at any site that has both.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This setting limits the amount if current the battery charger can pull.

If dry camping and using generator I set to high number for faster recharge. If at home on 15/20a circuit I set it to minimum so as to not pop a breaker. If camping with electric hookup I usually just leave it set to minimum as well, as deep discharge is not occurring and fast recharge is not needed. And minimizes having to remember to change the setting.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

Setting the control panel amperage load coming into the coach also sets the the point that devices are dropped. Usually 90% of the load. So if it's set at 30 amps the system will shed devices to keep the load below about 26 amps. You can set the sequence and order of devices being shed like ac units, charger etc.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Where to set: Set the Shore Max setting to match the current rating of
the utility power or generator’s circuit breaker. If using multiple AC sources
(utility and generator) through an AC transfer switch, adjust this setting to
the smaller AC breaker size. This setting is very dependent on the stability
of the AC source. If using a generator, factors such as altitude and output
voltage regulation may require a lower setting than the generator’s breaker
size. For best performance, lower this setting to 1/3 its rated capacity
and gradually increase while ensuring the voltage level stays above the
SETUP menu’s 06 VAC Dropout setting.
CAUTION: The Shore Max setting does not limit the current to
the inverter loads. If the current from the loads on the output
of the inverter are greater than the circuit breaker rating on the
incoming AC source, you may experience nuisance tripping on
this breaker
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
Setting the control panel amperage load coming into the coach also sets the the point that devices are dropped. Usually 90% of the load. So if it's set at 30 amps the system will shed devices to keep the load below about 26 amps. You can set the sequence and order of devices being shed like ac units, charger etc.
What system does the OP have that this setting also controls device shedding? Thanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
There's a panel by 'Precision Controls' which I believes limits the current to the coach. It senses whether the coach is connected to 50 amp or 30 amp service and limits coach loads to stay within it. There are manual settings for 20 and 15 amp service, I believe. Separate, there's the Magnum panel. And I believe the Shore Max setting we're talking about limits the battery charging current.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #9

[your coach may be different]

with our Magnum MS2012 and Magnum Inverter/Charger Panel, I set the SHORE MAX at different levels DEPENDING on the incoming power options, AND my outgoing power needs... examples:

- 50a service, and want to charge the batteries the quickest: 50a

- 50a service, BUT want to also run both AC units and other items, and the battery charging is not as immediately important: 5a or 10a(trickle charge)

- 30a service: 20amp max if running other items, especially an AC unit or microwave

- 120v residential service: 5a if running other items, 15a if only to charge the batteries

- Generator: 40a if running a few other items, and no AC
: 20a if also needing an AC unit
: 5a if needing both AC units

- AGS with Voltage setting, for battery charging: 40a, maybe 50a if nothing else running

note: be aware of your Electric Water Heater switch, if you have one. If it is ON, then the amps it draws, which will come on and off periodically, could be a culprit to a breaker tripping, if the SHORE MAX setting is too high, whether on Shore Power or Generator. Of course, if does not operate under the Inverter(battery power), even though the switch may be on.

in critical situations, such as when drycamping overnight with the AGS, I turn the water heater OFF so that it is not a draw when the AGS kicks on the Generator in order to charge the batteries. I want the most power to go to the batteries thru the Charger.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ours is set to 50 amp max. Been that way since 2009.
never had any loads shed or dropped. When i am on a 30 amp pedestal i have not noticed any difference.

but now i have to start watching
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Obviously, I'm not clear on this, but I thought from reading the manual that Shore Max only limited charger current. That it would preferentially fulfill other loads and charge at whatever was left over...but in no case would it give the charger more than Shore Max.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are limits for the EMS (Load shedding feature) and settings for the input to the Magnum Inverter/Charger.

The Electrical Load Management panel (Three buttons) I leave it set where it is. I suppose you could set the genset rating, but the main distribution panel still is fed by a double ganged 50A breaker.

It should sense 50 A whenever it sees voltage between L1 & L2 of 240v...in other words, you are connected to a 50 amp outlet. It will default to 30A if it just sees 120v on one phase, like when you connect to "other than 50A"... if you connect to 20A or 15A...you must manually adjust to that setting.

The EMS system just monitors the loads and can shed up to 6 different loads depending on a hierarchy. Newmar commonly connects the shedding loads of, (not in order) #1 A/C, #2 A/C, #3 A/C, Water heater element #1, Water heater element #2, and Block Heater. It has a few special features as well...that are carried out by networking to the MS2812 MagnaSine Inverter.

The inverter input, should be set to the rating of the breaker that feeds it. It is usually a 30amp breaker. There is a separate setting to control charge rates.

Charge rate is set on the ME-RC remote by inputting a percentage. The manual describes how to calculate this setting. If you have Interstate Flooded Lead Acid batteries...they are somewhere around 232ah (20hr rating) each. Since it takes two to equal 12 volt...six 6v are combined to make three 12v. Three times 232ah would be 696ah... Interstate recommends a charge rate of C/10... so 696 divided by 10 would give you 69.6 amps of charge... The MS2812 inverter has a 125 a charger built in.. 69.6 divided by 125 time 100 equal...55.68%. So, you would set the charger rate to 55% of the MS2812's output. If you have a different inverter...the charger rating will be different. The manual explains how to do all this.

If you have AGM batteries, forget the calculation I did. The Lifelines are rated at a very high charge rating...I'm pretty certain 100% of your chargers capability will not come close to maxing out the Lifeline AGM's... check your batteries manufacturers recommended settings when figuring out the percentage of charge.

The ME-ARC advanced remote has even more features for regulating the charge.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What system does the OP have that this setting also controls device shedding? Thanks.

Magnum Inverter/Charger. 800amp House setup with 8 100 amp AGM batteries. I sat for 6 hours at the dining table and read the Magnum manual while trying all options. Had to lay down for a good nap after that. Good system though.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The device shedding is controlled by the Precision Circuits, Central Monitor Panel and Load Center. They share information with Magnum Energy Products (Inverter w/ built-in Charger) to do some amazing things. But for the Owner of the coach...a lot of the stuff just happens.

It's basic design is to prevent nuisance trips of breakers when the end user chooses to try to power more things than can be provided for. This is mainly a problem whenever plugged into a 30amp site, where 50amp service is unavailable.

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...nersManual.pdf