Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
DJJ

Where to find new pleated shades that pull around inside of windshield?

We just bought our first RV, 2003 Dutch Star 3803. The front pleated shades that pull around the inside of the windshield need to be cleaned but the Dry Cleaners charge $3.25 per pleat. Needless to say with the number of pleats it's going to get real expensive. Vacuming does not get the dirt out of these. Does aayone know where to get replacements?

Thanks,
Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
We just bought our first RV, 2003 Dutch Star 3803. The front pleated shades that pull around the inside of the windshield need to be cleaned but the Dry Cleaners charge $3.25 per pleat. Needless to say with the number of pleats it's going to get real expensive. Vacuming does not get the dirt out of these. Does aayone know where to get replacements?

Thanks,
Jeff
Here is a link to previous threads showing how others have cleaned theirs that might be of help.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/clean...in-155004.html
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Throw the cardboard pleated crap out....sorry, that's just what I think of them. We were at the same delima on ours and decided we hated them beyond clean. So we went to WallyWorld, found drapery material that we liked which is also heat reflective and then took it home and made drapes. You can buy the clips with hooks, then pleat the material whereever you want to by simply grabing a section and putting the clip on then hang them up.....It works great, looks great, reflects heat great is very lightweight and opens and closes with ease....we have about $60 in material and the clips. we made them in three sections, the driver side is all one piece from side to center, the passenger side is in two pieces so that you can part them where the door is and leave the front curtain pulled and still use the door.

Just my opinion...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Another possibility is what we did this Winter - we went to Lakeland, Fl to Classic Coach Works and they put some Auto Motion Shades in replacement of our old pleated shades, after multiple washing and re-stringing

Looks like a new MH -

Classic Coach Works — We Renovate RV's - We specialize in coach customization, conversion and upgrades for Motor Homes, RVs, Recreational Vehicles, and Buses

These shades are from CANADA and the best.......
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Does anyone know where to get replacements?
I bought a replacement set direct from Newmar.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know that when my wife washed ours (non-cardboard) they were destroyed. Using the track liner at the top, we had a new set made. Took someone good at sewing about an hour.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Fill your tub with warm water and put about 5 scoops of oxyclean in it - put the curtains in it and swish around for 10 minutes gently rubbing any bad marks with finger tips. Rinse and leave outside in the sun, carefully opening each pleat.

When dry they will look like new. I don't mind ours and did this and they sparkle and they are 18 years old!
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm almost to the point I'd think about replacing them with the pull down or electrically operated double shades like the new rigs come with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Fill your tub with warm water and put about 5 scoops of oxyclean in it - put the curtains in it and swish around for 10 minutes gently rubbing any bad marks with finger tips. Rinse and leave outside in the sun, carefully opening each pleat.

When dry they will look like new. I don't mind ours and did this and they sparkle and they are 18 years old!
That's what my wife did today and they turned out fine. I was concerned since the owners book says all window treatment has to be dry cleaned.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post

You DW is an exceptional, patient, woman Mine is not so we went for the Auto Motion duo Shades
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #11

Awesome! That saved you a few bucks

Ours were badly stained after an original roof leak before the PO replaced it and this trick saved ours and returned them to 'as new'.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote