Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Where to Order Replacement Hub Cap??

Hi Newmar Gang!!

First, I again want to thank all of you you jumped in to help me take care of a leaking L. front wheel hub gear oil reservoir.

Second, I need to put in a BIG PLUG for an authorized SPARTAN service place in Fort Walton Beach, FL. If ya ever need SPARTAN svc. in this area I STRONGLY recommend contacting

A-1 DIESEL
306 Duval St.,
Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32547
Phone: 850 862-4300.

These folks KNOW what service is about and went above and beyond to track down, pick up, and then install a part I needed for that leaking hub oil reservoir, AND they squeezed us in at their very BUSY appearing shop, fixed our problem and had us on the road in less 3 hrs!!!! If ya need Spartan svc......USE EM, YOU'LL LIKE EM!!

Now, THIRDLY, though I checked the hub cap upon departing, that Left Front Hub Cap w. SPARTAN center logo, has left the rig somewhere between Fort Walton and Talahassee, FL. ANYWAY....do I order a replacement from the Newmar Parts Dept. in Nappanee, OR can I order this hub cap from Spartan (since it's a Spartan chassis and hub has Spartan logo) Does anyone know. Also, if from Spartan...what's their Parts Dept. phone. Thank you.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I bought my left front hub cap from Newmar since I was there, so I don't know is Spartan is cheaper.

I recall it was around $40, Jeannie had it in stock, so I bought it at Newmar for the convenience.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

Hi Steve

Ordered mine from Spartan, They just asked for the Chassis VIN #.

Rick
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Steve, I was told by Spartan reps at the big RV show in Florida last January that a new designed hub cap with expandable tangs was available. From what I understood you twist the Spartan logo and it expands the tangs to grip the wheel. When (if) you call Spartan ask for this design...hubcap loss has been a big problem. I'm on my 3rd set and using knockoffs. Also if you get the olds design 3 drops of silicone caulk on the tangs will keep them in place.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Order from Spartan. Cost is (was last year) about $20.00
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, sounds like you are having one problem after another. We lost a total of 3 caps before Spartan replaced both caps at the DuQuion Newmar International rally.
He showed me how after getting service the caps were put back on missing 2 tabs. Asked why and his said the person putting the cap back on could not line up the tabs, so just remove them. Local dealer and the other Coach Care.
Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Steve: Here's the Spartan parts link your looking for. Thanks for the info on the Ft. Walton repair center.
https://www.rvchassisparts.com/Rally.asp

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS ALL (RE: replacing lost hub cap):

Found out North Trail in Ft. Myers stocks the hub caps so we'll run over and pick up a couple.

Say, Joe (read & learn), your post above mentioned that the reason some tech removed a couple tabs was that he could "not line up the tabs." Does this mean there is a specific way to "line up the tabs" when popping the hub cap back on???????

If so, WHAT'S THE TRICK to keeping these hub on the rig???....short of duct tape !! In a former post many months ago I recall reading someones statement about having these tabs bent at a "correct" angle...er something like that. Anyone know how to keep em from flying off???? THANKS. Steve
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Dabs of silicone 3 places on tabs. Has worked for me.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
THANKS ALL (RE: replacing lost hub cap):

Found out North Trail in Ft. Myers stocks the hub caps so we'll run over and pick up a couple.

Say, Joe (read & learn), your post above mentioned that the reason some tech removed a couple tabs was that he could "not line up the tabs." Does this mean there is a specific way to "line up the tabs" when popping the hub cap back on???????

If so, WHAT'S THE TRICK to keeping these hub on the rig???....short of duct tape !! In a former post many months ago I recall reading someones statement about having these tabs bent at a "correct" angle...er something like that. Anyone know how to keep em from flying off???? THANKS. Steve
If the tabs are not lined up you cannot install the hub cap. You just have to keep turning the hub cap until you see that the cap tabs line up with the wheel and pop it on.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #11

Am I the only one who never paid for a replaceent, but had them (5) replaced over a two year period (as they dropped) "under warranty" at North Trail (2), Beaudry's, Massey's, and La Mesa.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, Yes the tabs must be just right. Spartan said and he showed me how the tabs were missing because the tech was to lazy to line the caps up. We had service about 50 miles just before the DuQuion Rally and lost 1 cap in that distance.

soricobob same as you never paid for total of 4 new caps.
Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #13

On your EX, Front hubcaps are standard 5 tab baby moon style. Every truck stop has them for about $4 (no Spartan logo) made out of cheap steel. I would suggest really splurging and get the same 5 tab baby moons from a truck stop chrome shop that sells the stainless steel chrome models for a whopping $9 ea. These won't rust. Fit like a glove. Never lost one of these.

The rears are also a standard top hat model. Again, no logo and I simply replaced the shorter tag ones with the deeper drive ones so they all look the same - a better look to my eyes. These are about $25ea at trucker chrome shops. What's better is these top hats tend to have a slight rim at the bottom where the lug nut covers actually cinch down on the rim making sure the rear caps do not get loose.

The plastic lug nut covers are also standard truck stop issue, 33mm is the size, just compare shapes. These run about 85cents each. If one fits loose, run a strip of tape around the lug nut and then push the cover over that.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #14

Harm & RV Dude:

Thanks for the info and links.............
Slider1 is offline   Reply With Quote