Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Where's the fuse for backup camera?

We have a 2004 3778 Mountain Aire on a Workhorse chassis, 8.1 liter gas engine. We bought it 18 months ago. We've always had issues with the house batteries draining when there's no load we can find (We replaced them last November).
A month ago I had a chance to do a lot of diagnostic testing, pulling all the 12 VDC fuses an checking voltages and amperage. Then I disconnected the batteries and tested volts and amperage at the batteries. Then I did load testing on the disconnected batteries. Never did find any reason for the battery drain. After I reconnected everything and made sure the 12 VDC panel fuses were ok, the battery drain is much less.

HOWEVER, the backup camera doesn't work. This doesn't make sense to me, but I think I really need to get it operational. I'm speculating that somehow in the disconnect / reconnect, the backup camera fuse went. At least that's the first thing I want to check.

Does anyone know where that fuse is on our Mountain Aire?

It's a Voyager AOM681 flat panel monitor mounted on the bottom of the wood cabinet over the driver's dashboard. It used to come on automatically only when the MH was in reverse.

Any other suggestions on how to diagnose and fix the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Winnebago but had a similar backup monitor. It's been changed to an updated LCD Voyager flat screen model. I seem to remember there was an inline fuse on the hot leg wire to it. You might try to gain access to that wire by removing your monitor or whatever houses the wiring.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi arboldt,
The fuse will be located with the automotive 12V fuses. On my coach it is in the basement front left below the driver. Your automotive fuses may be located in a different place but the fuse should be there with these automotive fuses. Mine is in position F6.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

Backup camera not working

Well, I cannot find a fuse:
  • It is not with the house 12V fuse panel in the cabinet in the bedroom
  • It is not with the coach fuse panel under the hood (and I also checked the chassis (Workhorse W22) manual
  • It is not in the cabinet above the monitor above the driverside dash. I did find AV connectors there for the camera - monitor, however I didn't find any fuses.
So the backup camera still is not working. It used to come on automatically when I put the coach in reverse. Last week I was doing a lot of testing to try and find the cause of house battery draining that involved disconnecting the house batteries then measuring voltages and amperage. I don't understand how that could make the camera not function -- is it a cause or merely coincidental?

Anyway, what can I do now to identify and fix the backup camera?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

My monitor has an in-line fuse, accessible in the bundle of wires under the dash or by pulling the monitor from the dash.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just hold on I have the link you need and a couple of others.
FUSE'S -- Look to bottom for full menu

Important discussions.
Workhorse Chassis forum
Your moving to fast disconnecting stuff your batteries are controlled by a BIRD Charging System. You will find in this OWNERS GUIDE down near bottom of link. Bird and battery systems EXPLAINED HERE ----- MACA BROCHURE
Your BIRD will be located in black box to RIGHT under your hood opening.
You may have a in line fuse in back of monitor or a AUX fuse or body fuse , unmarked,in panel top of your dash board. Red leds should indicate blown fuse on panels.
If your not careful and take your time you will really get yourself in a mess and you won't remember where you messed up.
Let us know how your making out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3824701]Just hold on I have the link you need and a couple of others.
[B][URL="http://www.oemys-performance.com/techtips5.htm#fuses
FUSE'S -- Look to bottom for full menu
[/URL][/B]
Important discussions.
Workhorse Chassis forum
Your moving to fast disconnecting stuff your batteries are controlled by a BIRD Charging System. You will find in this OWNERS GUIDE down near bottom of link. Bird and battery systems explained here. ----- MACA BROCHURE
Your BIRD will be located in black box to left under your hood opening.
You may have a in line fuse in back of monitor or a AUX fuse or body fuse , unmarked,in panel top of your dash board. Red leds should indicate blown fuse on panels.
If your not careful and take your time you will really get yourself in a mess and you won't remember where you messed up.
Let us know how your making out.
Thanks for the guidance.
From the Oemy's site you linked, it looks like the Convenience Panel may be what I need to find. The question is, where do I look? The backup monitor is mounted on the bottom of a wood cabinet above the driver, to the left of the front TV cabinet. When that door is lifted, there is a wood panel secured with 4 screws. Behind that panel is a LOT of wires etc and a cage-type blower. I did not see any fuse panel. I found the chassis panel under the hood and to the right, but I haven't found any other panel -- especially that convenience panel. Any idea where I should look for it?

I do have turn signals etc so it's not the fuse that controls both those and the backup lights.

I'm confused about the BIRD system (bidirectional isolator relay delay-diesel2). (1) I'm assuming that this is used on both gas and diesel MHs despite the name. (2) The only reason I removed wires from the battery terminal was to measure amps where the meter has to be in series between the battery and the rest of the system, and also for load testing to verify the batteries are still good. I disconnected the negative battery cable, did my measurements and testing, and reconnected the cable. (That was repeated a few times). The disconnecting had nothing to do with storing the MH.

This all came about as I am trying to diagnose why my house batteries were draining from 12.5 VDC to 11.7 VDC over 24 hours when the only thing running that I know of is the refrigerator control circuit -- we were parked in front of my sister's and staying in her home, not using anything in the MH except the refrigerator. I ran that test several times, and the results varied between 0.5 and 0.7 VDC over a day.
After disconnecting the battery and using the volt-ohm-amp meter a few times, the battery drain dropped to about 0.1 VDC for the day but I had no backup camera. It doesn't make sense to me how the camera could be related; it may not be related but that's the timing. And now I have to get the backup camera working again before I go back to my original problem.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK here is the correct info on your gas Bird System. look way down the thread because you will have DP & Gas information.
When your checking your two house batteries use a volt meter and read across the batteries.
A good indication of fail house batteries is when you switch on your battery cut off switch and operate the voltage reading switch the red numbers will fad and go out.
If you have wet cells need to check the water level before putting a stand alone 12v battery charger, quickest way to bring them back.
Also should plug in shore line to at least 110 volts and read the charging voltage on your house batteries they should read 13.5 to 14v if your converter is working. Your BIRD System is working.
In the system when the house batteries are fully charged the system will than switch to charge your chassis battery.
The Bird System works in reverse when your driving the coach the altenator charges the chassis battery first than the house batteries.
More on your gas Bird system. and more found in QT's # 3 ------PROBLEM SOLVERS Section.
My coach was always plugged in when coach was at home and the BCS switch must be on to charge the batteries.
Fuse for back up camera and monitor.
When working on batteries never hook up negative on battery first always last because if done in reverse the voltage spikes will blow fuse's, circuit boards and may even try to extended your slides.
You do have a removable panel top of dash front of steering wheel under it are fuse panels?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Still looking ...

Thanks, 007.
I printed a copy of the fuse panels etc in that link you posted. In the convenience panel, it looks like D3 (backup LPS (camera feed)) is a prime suspect.
I pried off the panel cover in the dashboard in front of the steering wheel, and found the coach panel with fuses labeled 1-26. There was a much larger panel with fuses labeled F1-33 and connectors K1-7 and J1-4. But nothing in the 'D1' - D9 sequence.
I just re-read other links you sent; A couple of others found another fuse panel in the back bay where the 50A cord and charger/converter is. they had DPs and I have a gasser, but I'll look there tomorrow.
So I'm still looking for that convenience panel.
After I look tomorrow, we'll be on the road with much less dependable internet connectivity.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does the back-up monitor have a button that is A or B? Select another input by pushing the A/B button to see if your system is powered or just one, the one you are currently using, is bad. I believe the brains of the monitor system are located behind the dash. Remove the radio panel and/or the slide out drawers and look for a rectangular box that is about an inch thick and about 4x6", that has wires coming from it. There should be an inline fuse holder close to the black box. I am going by memory, so the size might be a bit off.
The battery drain that you are experiencing might be the draw from the propane leak monitor/alarm. There should be a cut off switch probably located in the overhead switch panel. Turn it off. See if that does not take care of your battery drain.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

I believe I have the same system. The box for the monitor system is located above/behind the fan motor in the cabinet just above where your monitor is located. There are electrical connections to that box and I believe one of them is the main power line with an inline fuse. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has your rear view camera ever worked? Did it stop working since you disconnected the battery? If this is the case, what brand of monitor do you have. If it is a Panasonic, you may have lost one or more of the setup parameters.

I had this same thing happen to me when I replaced a battery cable. There is a setting that selects which input is displayed on the monitor. It defaults to something other than the rear view camera. I did some serious head scratching until I finally figured it out.
Bill
Old 10-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #13

Don't know where else to look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wborst View Post
Has your rear view camera ever worked? Did it stop working since you disconnected the battery? If this is the case, what brand of monitor do you have. If it is a Panasonic, you may have lost one or more of the setup parameters.

I had this same thing happen to me when I replaced a battery cable. There is a setting that selects which input is displayed on the monitor. It defaults to something other than the rear view camera. I did some serious head scratching until I finally figured it out.
Bill
thanks, Bill.
Yes, the backup monitor used to work. It's a Voyager AOM681 flat panel monitor mounted on the bottom of the wood cabinet over the driver's dashboard. It used to come on automatically only when the MH was in reverse. It worked until I disconnected the house battery when I was trying to diagnose other battery drain.
Last November I replaced the house batteries, and there was no problem while they were disconnected. Earlier this year I disconnected them to install a solar controller; the camera worked when everything was reconnected.

RVBiker45 - There is an A/B button. I've tried that and no matter which, there is no difference. I've also tried the on/off button with no effect (no surprise - the owner's manual said the on/off would have no effect if the backup camera was wired to come on automatically in reverse).

Mountain Art - I (again) removed the panel to look in the cabinet area over the driver's dashboard. There is the cage-type blower and lots of wires and connectors. The mass of wires appears to be coming along the top side from the back of the MH. There are connectors but no inline fuses. There was no fuse or control box behind the blower motor or anywhere in that cabinet.
I also unscrewed the monitor housing from the bottom of the cabinet. There was a connector but no fuse.

GaryKD - I suspect fuse locations are a little different between DPs and gassers. For my gasser, there is a chassis fuse panel under the hood to the right side (also specified in the Workhorse owner's manual). I removed that cover and didn't find anything out.

RetiredBob - I pried off the panel cover in the dashboard in front of the steering wheel, and found the coach panel with fuses labeled 1-26. There was a much larger panel with fuses labeled F1-33 and connectors K1-7 and J1-4. But nothing in the 'D1' - D9 sequence.
I looked all around under the dashboard, including lying on my back looking up, to check out behind the radio. I haven't found any control box, fuse panel, or inline fuses.

All - I've checked in each bay, starting with the electrical connection to shore power. There's the automatic transfer switch, the charger/controller, and connections for TV Cable and phone. No fuse panel. I've checked in each of the basement bays, the back closet, the cabinets over the dashboard, behind both TVs. I've laid on my back and looked up under the dashboard with a strong flashlight.

I deeply appreciate everyone trying to help. I just don't know where else to look.

Questions:
1) Is it possible I might have missed another fuse panel under the hood? Any place specifically where I should look?
2) When we moved a couple days ago, I realized that if I forgot to retract the steps, they were no longer automatically retracting. (Thanks to DW noticing that as she directed me out of the parking / camping spot!) Is it possible that might be related?

(Now that we're on the road again, internet connectivity is sketchy as we have to find a nearby library or McDonalds).
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Contact RVCAMS.com in Baton Rouge. They have been very helpful in the past for me.

They might be able to give you some guidance to getting your system up and running.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, fuse