Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #71

Why do so many people think that all coach slides work exactly like they think their slides (should?) work?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe they think Newmar design theirs also or this forum is busy with slide information, seen 150 at least on forum every night and day.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3941751]Why are you not discussing your slide operation on [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/alpine-tech-library-for-real-38184.html#post69178
this forum[/URL][/B] where I think your coach is located for your slide information.------ ALPINE COACH
Quite simply, because I have no questions or issues about the slide operation on my coach. I would like to know why it is recommended on some Newmar models, and at least one Monaco era Beaver, to extend the slides before leveling the coach with the jacks. So far, no answer other than, because the manual says so. I'd like to try to learn something about the design of your coach and slide mechanism.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi RVPioneer,
With regard to your post 64. "Why would the box maintain it's box shape on a coach that is leaning in one or two directions better than a coach that is sitting level on jacks? That's it."

The answer is it doesn't.
That seems to contradict 12v.
OK then, a follow up question. Why would the manufacturer recommend extending the slides in a situation where the box might be a bit tweaked.?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why do so many people think that all coach slides work exactly like they think their slides (should?) work?
I don't. I'd just like some info on how yours work. Which seems like a big ask at this point. I may have to call Newmar after all.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Maybe they think Newmar design theirs also or this forum is busy with slide information, seen 150 at least on forum every night and day.
Not at all. Although it appears that some, mostly older, Newmar models recommend leveling with jacks before extending the slides and the newer ones, or perhaps the ones on the Spartan chassis, recommend the opposite.

I'll leave if I can get an answer.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVPioneer,
The slides are installed:
1. on a flat concrete floor
2. at ride height
All things being perfect one would deploy the slides the same way they were installed.

The manufacturer recommends looking at the reveal as step 1. Gut feel says most do not do this. In the real world:
1. the slide stays square
2. the box it is in (chassis) can become out of square
3. the Star Foundation will hold the chassis square unless the site is so far out of level one should ask for another site. One will see this when checking the reveal.

Therefore,
1. check the reveal
2. deploy the slides
3. level the coach

If one tries to level first because the site is way out of level one is twisting the box (chassis). Remember the slide stayed as original. One wants the status of the slide to the chassis to remain as installed.

Older coaches do not have the Star Foundation. In the scenario mentioned the chassis has, most likely, already twisted a bit. Best to level first. Then deploy the slides.

On Star Foundation coaches just because one corner is a bit low does not mean the chassis has twisted or changed from its' relationship with the slide. This is why it is very important to check the reveal.

The goal is to keep the slide and the box in the same relationship to each other as when they were mated.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #78

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking up Star Foundation that GaryKD mentioned, I found this explanation. The frame looks very robust! I didn't like the appearance of particle board in some of the video, but that's my prejudice.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Looking up Star Foundation that GaryKD mentioned, I found this explanation. The frame looks very robust! I didn't like the appearance of particle board in some of the video, but that's my prejudice.
Anyone know if the Star foundation is on all years and models ?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Not at all. Although it appears that some, mostly older, Newmar models recommend leveling with jacks before extending the slides and the newer ones, or perhaps the ones on the Spartan chassis, recommend the opposite.

I'll leave if I can get an answer.
No reason to leave, I have mention before the FWS Systems came into being, the older coach's the jacks were set down to level the coach than the slides were extended, I believe its also mentioned in the long thread about the differences between the old slide operations as compared to the new FWS SYSTEMS.
Its also confusing for the operation of a gas coach FWS the jacks are put down before extending the slide.
Everyone may want all systems to work the same but as designed that's not possible for different years and coach models, it is what it is.

I have never looked into detail the operations of your type coach slide systems which maybe over the years the MFG has changed the process of extending their slides and maybe with different slide jack systems involved which may confuse operations of slide operations, I would check the year of your coach with leveling system and manual for your year coach.

I briefly went through the Alpine reference link I gave you and saw different systems.
The Newmar slide systems, since they introduced slides, have basically been all the same until they moved in the HWH system for their heavy flat floor FWS.

I have been involved with the Newmar slide systems from 1998 single LR SLIDE to now FWS Systems and I find out new things every year on Newmar slide systems I never had a problem with a slide because I stopped at two but had friends up to the old four slide coach, the FWS's have more they opened the coach up, but have caused confusion for some people.
There is a lot going on when you press the button for the new FWS's.

I would say that you will have all the answers if interested in a Newmar in the future if its a new coach just do not confuse with older coach years operations.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gimlimike,
The Star Foundation started with the 2016 model year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #82

GaryKD and 007,

Thank you both for the explanations and information.

I am aware of the proper procedure for operating the jacks and slides on my coach.

This thread should help Newmar owners confirm that they are using the correct procedure for theirs.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #83

Chicken or the Egg

I called Newmar back in Sept of this year, spoke with a tech on do I level first or put the slides out first. He reply was simple. If you have the full wall you put slides out first then level. If you do not have a full wall you level first then put the slides out. The caveat is you still check the reveals before putting the slides out.

Since I have a 2014 Newmar Mtn Aire that does not have a full slide (seems like I do cause the drivers side slide goes all the way down to the bathroom the tech assured me I do not have a full wall slide) I level first, inspect the reveals, then put the slides out. Then the fun begins.

Sam Gallagher
2014 Newmar Mountain Aire
Savannah, GA
samgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #84

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Sorry MAYBE for yours, but Newmar has different operations for different coach's and slide systems.
And therein lies the answer to the entire thread. End of discussion? Not likely.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide