Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #1

Which is better elec or elec/gas coach?

Hello All
Just wondering what the advantage/disadvantage to each. '
I don't see many all electric ones or is it just personal preference.
Thanks!
Pargolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #2

Well, lets just calculate a bit :

a really large battery would be 600Ah @ 12V = 7.2 kWh

a gallon of LPG is something like 40 kWh

ofc, if you're always connected to shore power -> you can use an all electric coach
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #3

I have owned one RV with traditional electric and propane systems, and my current RV with all electric systems.

I prefer the all electric coach. No propane means one less thing to worry about and get refilled. The electric coach has a larger battery bank, a larger inverter, and a diesel burner to heat the water and run the furnace. I find it much easier to manage.

The only thing that I miss about the propane/electric coach is the external propane port that I used for my gas grill and my gas fire pit. When we bought the all electric coach, I replaced my Weber gas grill with a Ninja electric grill and I converted my fire pit to run on 1 lb. disposable propane tanks.

I think that if you boondock frequently, then the propane/electric option is nice. It allows you to run your water heater, your stovetop/oven, and your fridge if you’ve got a propane/electric fridge. It definitely allows you to run your generator less often.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:54 AM   #4

I'm in the all electric camp but there are pros and cons:

Electric Pro:

1) less fuel source to manage (hot water, heat would be coach fuel - diesel)
2) Less moisture from propane cooking gas is "wet" electricity produces no moisture in the coach from combustion
3) induction stoves are faster than gas

Electric cons:
1) $$ everything must be more expensive (inverter, batteries, household appliances)
2) more batteries needed to support the loads = more weight or if lithium more $$

Propane Pro:
1) long history of use in camping so well understood by many techs
2) cheaper to buy and replace components

Propane con:
1) one more thing to buy all the time
2) one more thing to manage levels
3) propane not 100% available all the time

Ultimately I think the future is more electric than propane. and with lithium batteries being lighter, it's easier to add more capacity to handle the larger loads. Plus this is the class A forum, we will still all have generators to top up if not plugged in and have no solar. I will admit my bias to electric coaches so my take is biased that way. I'm sure someone who is equally passionate about gas will make valid counter points to mine.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #5

Like most things, it depends. One is not better or worse than the other. It depends on what style of RVing you do. If you are always at full hookups and don't move long distances every day or so, all electric may be perfect for you.
If you primarily boondock, you want all the energy source options you can get.
If you don't have enough RV experience to know what you want yet, I would suggest to not limit yourself by going all electric for your first RV.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #6

I was skeptical at first of an all electric coach. Now that I've had one for a year, which included many dry camping situations for several days, I'd not have anything else.

My 2018 4037 Ventana has 900 Ah of battery. The diesel fired Oasis heating and water heating is great and, while I have not done the math, I believe the cost for the fuel is at least as good as LP for space heating and water heating.

Since most of our travels are in the warm months, we're running the generator while dry camped at least periodically throughout the day to keep the coach cool. This by default keeps the batteries charged. Otherwise, just a couple hours per day is all that is needed to keep the batteries charged. Diesel consumption in this case is less than 1 GPH!
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #7

What Dennis said....but if you are talking about replacing an existing dual WH with electric only, then go with the dual and keep using propane....assume you wont have the bats, inverter, or genset, or hydronic heat to make the transition....seems RV builders are going toward residential fridges vs RV fridges--that would factor too.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #8

How do you define "better" or "best"?

The answer can change with what you value and how you use it.
I've had both and they both worked just fine for our style.
All elec now and love it... residential fridge, hydronic heat (wish we had heated floors), engine heats whole MH when traveling...
If your concern is which is cheaper to run... don't buy a MH... none are inexpensive to operate or maintain.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #9

Speaking of all electric coaches, I received some marketing literature recently from Bowlus about their latest aluminum trailer. They claim to be selling the world’s first all electric RV, launched in 2022. I guess the marketing team doesn’t get out much.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think it depends on your style of camping. Travel to a campgroung with full service with maybe a night of two stops on the way there in a parking lot.

Spend multiple days (3 plus) without without electric hookup. A dislike for the sound of a generator in remote location.

Let's face it if you don't mind the sound, smell and cost of a generator it's a moot diffrence between propane and electric.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
a really large battery would be 600Ah @ 12V = 7.2 k

a gallon of LPG is something like 40 kWh

ofc, if you're always connected to shore power -> you can use an all electric coach
Never heard of a generator or aqua hot?

Not like like coaches without propane just run everything off batteries.

Definitely would prefer diesel heat in my next coach, current one has induction cooktop which works well and microwave, residential fridge off batteries no problem. If boon docking in cold weather basically just start the generator every morning to recharge for an hour or two due to furnace fan drain, but I did covert to 400ah of lithiums.

Propane furnace is louder than my diesel generator...

Filling up propane is definitely a hassle, not always easy to find place that can accommodate a class A for fillup, sometimes they aren't working, have to get someone out to fill it and half the time they don't know what they are doing. Furnace will eat through propane in a few days if its cold out would much rather just fill up diesel and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:34 AM   #12

I'm so glad I found RV life and the RV family

Thanks to all of you who responded. For a new RVer your information and insight is invaluable.
Safe travels and happy rving to all.
Chuck
Pargolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #13

Despite all of the negatives of all electric, my next RV will be all electric.

Yes, it will be more expensive, but I will bite the bullet and go lithium. Maybe not solar as I don't boondock much, but I will have a generator.

Also, no black tank. Maybe a bucket with wood shaving or coconut coir, a comfortable seat and an enclosed, well ventilated storage compartment.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:17 AM   #14

We will never go back to propane.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach, gas