Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
which outlet is NOT GFI protected

Hello
2004 Dutch Star. I need to know which outlets in my 2004 Dutch Star does NOT have a GFI protector. I am aware that some have the reset button and that makes it easy for me to tell; however I also am aware that some are protected and do not have the reset buttons. At one time there were adhesive stickers on the outlet that marked them as GFI, but they have worn off.
I am plugging in a dehumidifier while going away for the summer, leaving the motorhome in humid florida. I am hoping the wall outlet inside the cabinet next to the microwave/convection oven does not have the GFI. Next choice would be across to the opposite side of the motorhome where the desk/dining area is.
I hope someone can help....Thank you
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #2

Trip the GFIs with the test button and see what outlets are left powered up .

Is the coach power at the post GFI 15/20 amp ? Or are you going to be able to use 30 or 50 amp shore power.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Trip the GFIs with the test button and see what outlets are left powered up .

Is the coach power at the post GFI 15/20 amp ? Or are you going to be able to use 30 or 50 amp shore power.
Thank you for the reply....
I had stated that there are outlets that are GFI protected and do not have reset buttons and I cannot tell if they are protected . Some of the outlets that do not have reset buttons had stickers on them saying it is a GFI but these stickers are long gone. i need to find the outlets that are not connected to a any GFI. circuit.
I will be plugged in to 50 amp shore power.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #4

OK the GFIs you know about ARE the ones protecting the other outlets down the daisy chain . When you trip the GFIs then any outlet connected in that chain will be without power. If you 're using a protected outlet with out a reset and it trips, you have to go back up the daisy chain to the outlet with the reset , that's where it trips and requires the reset.

My DS , the kitchen GFI protects the outlets on the passenger side of the coach , the bathroom GFI does the drivers side.
Some outlets in my bedroom are not GFI .
Your coach particularly if you have a 2000 watt inverter will be wired differently .

Look at the circuit breaker panel an see if your microwave has a dedicated C/B , if it has it's own circuit , that circuit won't be GFI protected. But it maybe wired through your inverter.
Is your coach pre wired for a washer / dryer , that outlet is also a good choice for one not to be GFI protected.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #5

This is where a plug in GFCI tester comes in handy. Lacking that start at the outlet with the button, press the test button then check around to see which outlets have turned off. I only have the one in the bathroom with the button, it controls one by the sink and the one on the outside. The missing labels are handy but if you have more than one with buttons, I would use color coded stickers to keep them straight.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all

I do not know how to send everyone a thank you for all your help. it is amazing how fast and how much help members of this forum help each other....It is nice to know I am not alone..
than you all ...very much,
Allen aka I am gadget