Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Which spare parts do you carry?

This post below (from the leveler going down while traveling thread) made me think that for many of us new to RVing or Newmar, getting advice from those with experience would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedgar1 View Post
One of you selonoids on the hydraulic pump is bad ,lift the release levers on each of the selonoids to see which one is bad the leveler should go up when you lift the right lever I carry one for the levelers and a different one for my slide
So, what spare parts do you carry and why and what spare parts have have considered adding but haven't gotten around to?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I think we can get caught up in the perceived need to carry a bunch of spare parts. There are just too many things that "might" need replacement.

We carry spare fuses, a set of wiper blades, a quart of ATF and a few other small items (duct tape, hose clamps, screws, etc.) that might be needed to get us to a place where we can either purchase or order other needed parts.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

I had a Spartan chassis and went to their RV owners academy, (one week). They recommended to carry a fan belt, fuel filter, oil filter, and any tool needed to change them. Even if you can’t change it, you would at least have the parts and tools for Roadside Assist to change them. Agree with windshield wipers. I had one fly off during a rainstorm. Fortunately I treated my windshield with Rainx so I could see without the wipers. Spare fuses, roof repair tape, caulk etc. headlamp. Think of anything that would shut you down if it went out or be a major problem, and things that would be difficult to get on the road, and carry spares and tools to fix them. Anything that’s just a minor inconvenience can wait. Hope this helps

Mark
Old 04-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I think we can get caught up in the perceived need to carry a bunch of spare parts. There are just too many things that "might" need replacement.

We carry spare fuses, a set of wiper blades, a quart of ATF and a few other small items (duct tape, hose clamps, screws, etc.) that might be needed to get us to a place where we can either purchase or order other needed parts.

TJ
all the above, oil, 2 gallons of coolant (saved my butt last summer out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming), and a serpentine belt.
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I carry various filters and belts, oasis annual service kit, spare water pump and water pump controller, extra pair of headlight bulbs, wiper blades, basement door hydraulic piston doofer in case I bend one (again), oil, windshield wiper fluid, distilled water for batteries, extra tow bar items, and probably a few other items I can't remember.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

If it was still April one I would say that since winning the lottery last week I simply have my backup coach and driver follow me where ever I go. Backup coach has all the parts I will ever need. Keep on rollin...... And in the vain of NealC both coaches are 2027 models....
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Over the past 15 years of owning a DP, I have collected a couple of small plastic containers (the type with dividers) that I keep an assortment of screws, fuses, water connections and valves, small electronics and other miscellaneous items.

My more specific parts include a spare water pump, water pump latching unit, engine belts, fuel filters, Oasis service kit, Oasis pump and a Dometic toilet macerator unit.

I carry enough tools to replace most small items, soldering gun, drill and bits and enough spare wire and tubing to fix wiring issues, water leaks and airlines.

Lastly, I carry spare connector parts for my tow bar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #8

Duct tape, safety wire, wire ties, at least a gallon of all fluids, critical belts, heavy jack stands, a tarp to lay on, torque multiplier / extension / wheel socket / torque wrench / bottle jack / tire gauge to service tires, extra set of keys, wiper blade, ladder, multimeter, fuses, extra wire, wire connectors, hose clamps, and all of the common tools.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I carry various filters and belts, oasis annual service kit, spare water pump and water pump controller, extra pair of headlight bulbs, wiper blades, basement door hydraulic piston doofer in case I bend one (again), oil, windshield wiper fluid, distilled water for batteries, extra tow bar items, and probably a few other items I can't remember.
Yes...I forgot about spare serpentine belt and fuel filters. They should be in the mix.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:22 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
I just left freightliner school and was told the Serpentine Belt, Fuel filter, and Water filter are a must but you must vacuum pack them so they don't dry rot. I thought the teacher was crazy until he showed us a new belt that was kept in a compartment for just three years and it was all cracked all the way around. Mine are now vacuum packed.
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #11

While attending a seminar on this subject I leaned over to my friend sitting next to me and ask him if he carried all that stuff. He looked at me and grinned and told me he carried a cell phone and a credit card. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I broke my engine belt in Camp Verde, Az, because the A/C condenser froze up. A cell phone and credit card would not have fixed that one, only a tow of 60 miles to Flagstaff and a week of sitting around. I had the tools and found a shorter belt (which I now carry) and was able to install the new one with the A/C condenser out of the loop. Not a lot of RV mechanics in Camp Verde.....just an Auto Zone.

I'm getting older and have a bad back. I won't be changing tires or fixing flats anymore, so the credit card and cell phone will be used. With that said, there are some things I want to fix immediately and not ruin a trip. I carry about a $1000.00 in spare parts. I may never use them, but it's a small price to pay to keep a $300,000.00 coach on the road.

Lastly, the majority of the parts that I carry have been used more often to fix friends and family coaches and many people we've met in campgrounds. I like helping out when I can.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
DS Don. I have a few welding projects on request. I’m sure you take your welding toys along with you. I’m waiting to meet you at a CG someday. You’re the one with the DSDP that goes bloodee bloodee bladdee.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
I just left freightliner school and was told the Serpentine Belt, Fuel filter, and Water filter are a must but you must vacuum pack them so they don't dry rot. I thought the teacher was crazy until he showed us a new belt that was kept in a compartment for just three years and it was all cracked all the way around. Mine are now vacuum packed.
Vacuum pack? Can you do that with one of those food-saver machines?
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts