Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Whirlpool Refrigerator Noises

Recently the Whirlpool residential refrigerator in our ‘18 DSDP began to make intermittent growling, gurgling and groaning noises. Seems to be originating low in the unit, possibly from behind the freezer. This has progressed to making the noise all the time.
We have an appt in Nappanee next June. Can the issue wait until then? Is there something I can do/fix in the interim? Any thoughts?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sure what refer you have. If you have water and ice in the door, disregard. On our 2019, they eliminated the ice in the door and moved the ice maker to the freezer, high in the back. If you have this model, I would turn off the ice maker and see if you still have the noise.

Even if you do have the water ad ice in the door, I would still turn off the ice maker and see if you the issue persists.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip, DSD, but the ice maker (which is the lower freezer compartment) has been off for several days. I turned it back on (lifted the bail) and the noise continues.
I'll change all the filters in the next day or so...someone suggested that might be the prob.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:20 AM   #4

The noise might be a bearing or compressor going bad.
If this is the case you might not make it to June.
MuggsnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our refrigerator makes gurgling and some other noise but not all the time. Several times I got up to try and figure out where the noises were coming from. Now I just ignore them. This is from Whirlpools site.

Normal Sounds and Noises for Whirlpool Refrigerators
Your new Whirlpool refrigerator will probably make different sounds or noises than your previous refrigerator. Below is a list of common sounds the refrigerator might be making. Please click on each sound to learn more.

Buzzing: Water valve will make a buzzing or clicking sound if the ice maker is not connected to a water supply.
Chattering when dispensing: Water line may be kinked.
Grinding or Squeaking: Doors may be rubbing against cabinets or other surfaces when opening.
Gurgling: Refrigerant flowing through the tubes after a cooling cycle.
High-Pitched or Pulsating: Compressor fans adjusting to optimize performance.
Popping or Cracking: Contraction and expansion of the inside walls.
Rattling or Vibrating: Flow of refrigerant through cooling system, or water through the water line, items on the top of the refrigerator, refrigerator not level.
Sizzling, Hissing or Water Dripping: Water dripping on to the defrost heater during the defrost cycle.
Thumping or Hammering: Water line during a fill cycle.

https://producthelp.whirlpool.com/Re...nds_and_Noises
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I think a lot of these newer units make weird noises or sounds. Our GE in our home does too.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The water line could be gurgling. Going from water pump to shore water to no water could be causing air to get into the line and it slowly bleeds out. I know mine gurgles occasionally after the ice drops and the water is refilling the tray.

I had a different model Whirlpool ( I think a better quality one) in my 2014 DS. I think this newer one runs substantially more than the other one did. It seems that every time I pass by, it's running.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #8

Agreed, DSD, on the quality comment. We are very disappointed in both the arrangement and operation of the RR in our ‘18 DSDP. The refer in our ‘13 was far better.
We have at this point changed all filters (internal water, whole house water, and even the air filter), drained, flushed, and refilled all water lines, and the noises continue. Maybe I should try turning the power off for a short while. I’ll call CS in the near future, but I’ll bet I’ll be told that “they all do that.”
Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They all do that...

Being in a confined space and at the foot of our bed probably doesn't help. What is funny is that while this thread has been going on, our refrigerator has not been making those noises as it usually does. The weather has been very good here without too much humidity and in the 70's. I always thought it was noisier because they were more energy efficient and went through additional cycles to maximize efficiency, perhaps the defrost cycle also has something to do with the noises also. I tried turning off the water before and it made no difference.

Anyways it is a lot better than the fire hazard refrigerator in our last two RVs. The noise is often drowned out by the slide toppers flapping, the neighbor partying out side our bedroom window, the road noise in the occasional KOA, the furnace fans, air conditioners...

Love this life! Very happy and thankful to be back on the road again!!

Tags
noise, refrigerator