Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whirlpool washer poll

I have read for many years about the problems people.are having with whirlpool washers. I have owned 2, one with my 2013 dsdp and another in my 2019.

The 2019 is a different model, and appears to be much nicer.

The 2013 had several issues. 1st the door had to be closed properly, meaning slammed. I was able to adjust the latch to make it recognize a closed door.

The other problem was the error with items trapped in the filter. This was very simple to fix, and I was pleased with the washers performance.

During 4 months of the year, we would do an average of 14 loads a week. The rest of the year we would do 6 loads a week. Never had a problem.

We are using the new one the same way. I think this model functions much better, and my only complaint is it does not match the dryer.

I am wondering if our heavy usage is the reason it never gave me problems.

Excluding our heavy usage, I am wondering how many people average the 6 loads a week we do year round.

I am assuming that many people go for several months without any usage, and further theorizing that the troubles are more frequent for those.

Post your usage and what troubles you have had. This could be informative.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The upgrade model happened in model year 18
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
2016 DS with Whirlpool washer and dryer. We use our coach 5 months a year. We have not had any issues with or washer. We use it regularly when we're on the the road (at least once a week).
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Our coach is a 2017, so I am assuming that is also the model year of the Whirlpool washer.

Two Whirlpool techs have "fixed" it. The first one was within 3 months of ownership. The second tech was arranged through Newmar and came to the factory and worked on it. Through it all the washer will only do the final spin about 4 loads out of 10.

We are heading back to Nappanee in October so Newmar can replace my driver's seat (material defect) which they are doing free after my warranty expired. I once again complained about the washer and they told me I had to go through Whirlpool.

I will contact Whirlpool but am not expecting anything positive. Will probably just pay to have Newmar replace the POS in October. Question is, do you replace it with a 2019 Whirlpool or a Splendid?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

Our old Whirlpool didn’t last two years, not sure of the model number, but we tossed it. Fortunately, we had a two year warranty with Entegra and our washer was covered. Entegra replaced it with another Whirlpool, model number WFW3090GW, and has been working great for a year and a half. We are fulltimers and average about 3 - 4 loads per week.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We don't use the washer/dryer as much as some. I'm guessing 20-30 times a year. Our 2014 worked flawlessly for 5 years. Our 2019, hardly used yet, has had no issues.

With that said, would I buy these units for constant use if I live in a small condo....no. We learned many years ago that you buy high quality units for home use or you'll be replacing them often.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Haven't used ours much but no problems yet.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #8

2018 and no major issues. We had one problem and that was the usage of the “pods”. With soft water the pods release too much soap for the capacity of the machine. Went back to pour in HE detergent. Side note, the washer is made in Italy.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

2013 DSDP . We use ours about 5-6 months a year. A few years ago we were getting a code for an issue with the motor. It's covered by our service plan, so the dealer pulled the unit, called the appliance tech and he checked it out and said he'd have to order a motor. The cost of the motor was more than a new washer, so the service contract replaced the washer. Since then it's worked great.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Whirlpool washer poll

We have a 2015 VTDP. 3-4 loads a week during the 5-6 months that we live/travel in the coach per year. The loads are not too full. The usage of laundry detergent is not to much. The spin cycle will give the coach a good shake, but other than that we’ve not yet experienced the angst that others have reported. They certainly aren’t the high end units that we have in our S&B. But we are fortunate enough to be able to do our laundry in the coach, rather than returning to laundromats (like we did 50 years ago) [emoji106].
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We're full time. We started having issues almost immediately with the Whirlpool. It started with false codes indicating a clogged filter. Next was a burned out circuit board and finally, a refusal to go into spin mode. After two years of constant issues it was out the door. For just over a year now the replacement Splendide has been working flawlessly, knock on wood.

The washer was preceded in death by the piece of trash Whirlpool microwave that we finally got Newmars help replacing with a GE three months after taking delivery. I won't be recommending anything Whirlpool soon.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #12

We are only weekenders and so far the only use the washer has seen is being winterized 3 times (fall 2016, 2017, and 2018) and de-winterized each following spring. Dryer has been used twice, i think. No issues to report.

I can see how using the detergent pods could be an issue with such a small unit. Probably smart to just use liquid detergent in the prescribed amount.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We spend 4-5 months a year full-time in our 2018 MADP coach and probably average 5-6 loads a week during that time. It has the newer version of the Whirlpool washer/dryer set and the DW is absolutely in love with them. She likes them better than the high-end washer/dryer set we have in the sticks-and-bricks.

We have had no issues with either washer or dryer; just load them up and let them do their thing. (I hope saying that doesn't put the hex on things)

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seems to have a lot to do with the model. Our washer in our 2017 did not work the day we picked up our new coach. We were full time and used it quite often, but we always had trouble with it. Finally replaced it at about 1 1/2 years with the Whirlpool model from the 2018 coaches. No problems at all with the washer from the 2018 model coaches using it with the same frequency.