RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Whistling Entrance Door

New to joining the forum but have been lurking for a while. Lots of great info. I have searched and found some info but nothing really on point with my issue.

I am the current owner of a CS 3920 toyhauler. I am purchasing a 2006 DSDP 4306. In the test drive there was a loud whistle coming from the entrance door. I could not exactly place the location on the door. In talking with the dealer they said there were adjustments that could be make to tighten up the closure and get rid of the whistle. OK. Sounds like a plan. Except that he called me yesterday and said it was already at max adjustment. I have a friend with a Newmar who mentioned that he had a lock mechinism piece break up at the hinge side top corner area that until it was replaced it made a whistling noise. I informed the dealer and they are checking on that.

So...any other thoughts? I see in other forums it may actually be the door awning? I can't imagine the noise I heard was coming from outside but who knows.

Thanks much!

HambonesBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

From my research two things caused the whistling:
1) Awning arm
2) Door seal

To fix the awning arm some people have put a wind deflector on the arm which eliminated the noise. No idea what it is called or where they get it, still trying to find out.

To fix the door seal check your weather stripping and if there is any over the hinges remove it to inspect the hinges. I had weather stripping over my hinges and when I removed them I found cracks in the hinges.

My old hinges:

They were made out of aluminum so I replaced them with metal ones.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
See this thread.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Thanks much for the quick responses. The link sounds exactly what my buddy was talking about.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
On ours (PTL 1999 angled door top above hinge style) I eliminated the whistling by placing a (appx 3/8" rubber bumper) spacer between the screen door outside handle and the black plastic pocket (stuck to the black plastic pocket) on the main door that it sits in. This actually holds the screen door CLOSER to the main door. Our problem solved. We have the older style door and yes there is/was a strip of white foam trim (door seal type matl) stuck full length to the inside of the leading awning arm for the entry door. It seals the gap between the arm and sidewall. Not sure where to get as well.

While going down the road at speed the DW tried pushing the screen door handle FIRMLY outward which is how we found it worked. Intuition would seeem to go the other way but not in our case.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #6

On our 2012 DS there are four brass contacts on the front, lower portion of the door jamb. Wind was whistling in around our door until I found that one of the brass contacts was depressed and would not move. I removed the contacts from their door jamb mount and exercised them all in and out several times being careful not to bur their surfaces. After reassembling the door snugs up by engaging the top bracket and no more noise!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
This is the info you might need. In our case it was exactly what was wrong. We learned that the piece referred to in this thread served to further "snug" the door tighter when the air brakes were released. The air plunger you see at the top of the door opening on the coach side plunges against this lever thing on the door itself for the "snugging" job.

There is a lesson here. Always lock your door when you are ready to get underway. If, when you stop, someone tries to open your door before you set the parking brake, it will severely harm, or break this peg. After it is broken the air mechanism can no longer "snug" the door up thus creating a whistling sound. I have replaced two of these and have a couple of spares.

Live and learn.

Don
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Same experience as AKADEADEYE. This plastic latch is the key to pulling the top of the door snug.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #9

TY for all the responses. What about a gap at bottom of door? Same mechanism?

Tags
door