Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Who has added outside lighting to their coach

Just bought a 3124 and a little disappointed that I don't have much for outside lighting. My pull behind that I traded in had led light strip in the awning roller bar.

Has anyone added anything to your smaller gas coach?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

I added LED's to my awning, under the kitchen and bedroom slides, and under the two front steps.
Lights up the surroundings nicely in the dark campgrounds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ajo Arizona.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	155706  
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
Just bought a 3124 and a little disappointed that I don't have much for outside lighting. My pull behind that I traded in had led light strip in the awning roller bar.

Has anyone added anything to your smaller gas coach?
I have the same thoughts.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Aire View Post
I added LED's to my awning, under the kitchen and bedroom slides, and under the two front steps.
Lights up the surroundings nicely in the dark campgrounds

Mind sharing how you did it ? Like where did you get the power from, etc. Looks great.
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Who has added outside lighting to their coach

I added an led strip under the curb side of mine tied it into the patio light switch [ATTACH]155882
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0704.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	155882  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Steve
How do you keep the lights clean and protected from road debris?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm interested in this as well. Power source for awning and under coach.
4B77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added LED's under the edge of my coach on both sides. Since they went wheel well to wheel well, I pulled power from the bay just in front of the rear wheels where the controller was for the awning. I placed the switches in the bay and added a 12 hour mechanical timer. In the evening, I turn on the timer so that they go off about 11pm or 12 pm. I also have them on a dimmer.

I like the lights under the lower edge because they provide great lighting without blinding you. I changed the scare lights to LED COB bulbs which really light up the area if you need to entertain and want overhead light.

When I installed the undercarriage lighting, I stuck it right to the frame. I found that it didn't really provide the light I was looking for because it pointed (shown) straight down. I went to Home Depot and bought some aluminum 1/2" angle. I used sheet meat screws and screwed the angle to the frame with the "V" up against the frame. I then taped the LED light strip to one side of the angle, which pointed it out from under the coach at a 45 degree angle. Now when I turn on the lights, they shine out onto the patio a few feet.

I used the tape on the LED strip to install and every few feet I smeared some clear silicone over the LED strip for extra strength. About once a year, I run a wash brush under the edge to clean the road dirt off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I added LED strip lights under my awning. Attached the channel with 3M outdoor double stick tape. Unfortunately I placed it too high and too close to the awning. Once you stick that outdoor tape on, there is no moving it. I should have placed it about 2" down from the awning.

ZĀ®ZDM Waterproof 5M 150X5050 SMD RGB LED Strip Light with 44Key Remote Controller (DC12V) 2269684 2017 ā€“ $12.99

30/50cm U/V/YW-Style Channel Holder For LED Strip Light Bar Under Cabinet Lamp | eBay

Drilled a hole from the outside into a cabinet and got the DC power from that space between the bottom of the cabinet where the wires are for the lights that are on the bottom of the cabinet. Remote controlled and work great. You can change the color to whatever you want.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Sorry, I posted the wrong thing there for the strip lighting. You don't need the converter from AC t DC since the lights run off of DC.

I'll try to go out to the motor home later and see if I can find exactly what it was that I used.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Can't find the packing slip from where I got the lights and controller but here is a picture of where my wires come out of the side. That little thing hanging down is the antenna to pick up the signal from the little hand held remote control. I think I bought them from E-bay. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_165254.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	155951

Incidentally, RGB means that you can change the lights from Red, Green, Blue, white with the remote. I guess that the one I listed above is the closest thing to what I put on mine, but mine didn't have that little white box with it. If you have any questions, PM me and I will call you.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club

Name:	20170324_174237.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	155956Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_174254.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	155957Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_174316.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	155958
Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Here is the light controller that is shown in the pictures of my motor home.

3528 5050 RGB LED Strip Light IR Remote Wireless Controller Mini 3/24/44 Key | eBay

Incidentally, in the pictures I had the lights turned up high, just so you could see them but you can control them from high to very low. They light up the patio perfectly and are really cool looking. Even though I placed them too close to the awning, they still are ok when the awning is out. If we are at a place where the bugs are bad, I put them to yellow and turn them down. It doesn't draw as many bugs as the porch light does.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
Here is the light controller that is shown in the pictures of my motor home.

3528 5050 RGB LED Strip Light IR Remote Wireless Controller Mini 3/24/44 Key | eBay

Incidentally, in the pictures I had the lights turned up high, just so you could see them but you can control them from high to very low. They light up the patio perfectly and are really cool looking. Even though I placed them too close to the awning, they still are ok when the awning is out. If we are at a place where the bugs are bad, I put them to yellow and turn them down. It doesn't draw as many bugs as the porch light does.
This is good info thanks.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light