Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Who installs satellite receivers?

I see the roof-mounted satellite dishes on the Dutch Star order sheets. But does the factory install the receivers or is this something you arrange with your provider after delivery? I haven't seen a discussion about this before and just wondered about the "order of things".

TIA!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #2

Most RVs I've seen came with a receiver or two if it came with a satellite system on the build sheet.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Mike,
Most likely you will get the receivers from your provider like Direct or Dish if you want one for the RV alone. Some RV'ers take the receiver from their home and integrate it into the satellite system for RV. (Home and RV must have same service i.e. HD capability, SWIM for direct to name a few deviations out there.) My receiver came from Direct and they charge me an extra $6.00 on my home bill monthly and I get all my channels at the coach like at the house. Just make sure the satellite they put on the coach is compatible with the service you are looking for.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
Mike,
Most likely you will get the receivers from your provider like Direct or Dish if you want one for the RV alone. Some RV'ers take the receiver from their home and integrate it into the satellite system for RV. (Home and RV must have same service i.e. HD capability, SWIM for direct to name a few deviations out there.) My receiver came from Direct and they charge me an extra $6.00 on my home bill monthly and I get all my channels at the coach like at the house. Just make sure the satellite they put on the coach is compatible with the service you are looking for.
This is all true and accurate. The only exception we had was if you leave your home area, as in the foot print of the satellite, you loose your local stations and so you do not have access to CBS, NBC, ABC..... The way you can cure that is to call DirecTV and ask for the mobile division. This may take some work on your part as it took me seven different folks one night to get this done. One even asked "do you mean you mover your home around the country?". That's just the level you will deal with until you get to the correct person. Keep asking for their supervisor if need be. Then they will send you some paper work that you swear on Dick Cheney's black heart that the Rx is only being used in a motor home and will never go in a regular house. They then after about three weeks allow you access to the East Coast feeds of all of the major networks. They are up at about 390 something on the list. So depending which you want you can get either East or West Coast feeds which ever one you want but not both.

The funny thing is that when you get back to your home part of the country your locals work once more on the lower numbers such as 5, 12,11 or what ever.

This costs about $10 bucks a month but it does work and you get to see the ads for all of the new plays on Broadway. We started out in Raleigh and have been to south FL and out to Topeka KS with never a problem.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

To add to the above, you can get east and west feeds from direct. We have direct and have had both for over 10 years. All else is correct.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
To add to the above, you can get east and west feeds from direct. We have direct and have had both for over 10 years. All else is correct.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire

Same here. We have had both east & west since '06.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Same here. We have had both east & west since '06.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I've got both East and West feeds also, have had for many years. I think the only reason we still have both is because we're "grandfathered in". I believe VP Chianese is correct about new subscribers can only get one or the other, not both.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Direct now has an "RV section". Give direct a call and can ask questions specific to direct TV in RV's. They told me I could have HD service at home and if I did not want to change the antenna on the coach I could have a SD receiver in it and call them to start and stop service and pay $6 per month when using it.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

With Directv for new subscribers you get either the east or west coast (network package). When I added it in 2010, was told if your billing address is east of the Mississippi you get east coast networks or west coast networks if your billing address is west of the Mississippi. At the time I was full timing and used mail forwarding out of South Dakota, so I received west coast networks. I stopped full timing in 2011 and the networks package continued with my sticks & bricks house in Tennessee with the west coast networks. They could have cared less if I was using RV as long as they got the $15.00 extra per month for the network package.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin4it View Post
Direct now has an "RV section". Give direct a call and can ask questions specific to direct TV in RV's. They told me I could have HD service at home and if I did not want to change the antenna on the coach I could have a SD receiver in it and call them to start and stop service and pay $6 per month when using it.
This is true and the path we went down. But the problem was by doing that when you leave your footprint of your local stations, that is travel more then a couple of hundred, miles you will not have CBS, NBC etc..

Thus the question "you mean you move your mobile home?" The second Rx is tied to the address of the original and there in lies the need for either East or West coast feeds. Plus the letter stating it is only used in your RV.

I would love to have both feeds as some time there is something that I would like to watch and we are doing something so I could watch it later. I know record it but I'm not always that smart.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
My dealer must have been a reseller for Dish and Direct. They did everything to sell me service including installing and setting up the receivers. Check with your dealer.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, satellite