Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #15

The original question was "Who installs the hitch?"
I believe Newmar installs it.
The hitch on my motor home has a slight bend in it - not much but enough to notice. It says Hidden Hitch with a model number. I contact Hidden Hitch and they say they can't sell me a new hitch because it's exclusive to Newmar. I ask what a comparable hitch (5000# rating) is worth and they tell me $350 - sounds reasonable but it won't fit on the chassis.
I contact Newmar and they want $1100 for a replacement hitch plus shipping. Economics are obviously at play but it's in Newmar's favor.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
The original question was "Who installs the hitch?"
I believe Newmar installs it.
The hitch on my motor home has a slight bend in it - not much but enough to notice. It says Hidden Hitch with a model number. I contact Hidden Hitch and they say they can't sell me a new hitch because it's exclusive to Newmar. I ask what a comparable hitch (5000# rating) is worth and they tell me $350 - sounds reasonable but it won't fit on the chassis.
I contact Newmar and they want $1100 for a replacement hitch plus shipping. Economics are obviously at play but it's in Newmar's favor.
Hi Bill, Like I posted above, Newmar use to install them, New chassis from Spartan(DP) with them installed by Spartan today. I believe all the new diesel chassis come with the receiver mounted bt Spartan, not sure about Frightliner.........or gassers.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Great responses. Puts a little deeper thought on the issues. I think you can rely (edgray) on the Ford F-53 chassis, in fact it is an excellent gas chassis that by all accounts significantly narrows the gap between diesel and gas, but once you modify or add anything, it seems the modifier takes responsibility for the ratings, which is why you go by Newmar's tow ratings and capacities on an unloaded rig and then the responsibilities shift to us as owners to comply with the rigs stated limits.
RodgerS:
No, I can't. I said I would never rely on a Ford chassis, and I did not say they are unreliable. In fact, they are the ONLY gas class A chassis, so I guess that makes them "best in class".

I'm just a 'die-hard" Workhorse chassis owner trying to poke a little fun....
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
RodgerS:
No, I can't. I said I would never rely on a Ford chassis, and I did not say they are unreliable. In fact, they are the ONLY gas class A chassis, so I guess that makes them "best in class".

I'm just a 'die-hard" Workhorse chassis owner trying to poke a little fun....
Gee, I've never seen a Ford on the side of the road with the parking brake spontaneously applied stopping the vehicle in it's tracks.

----Just sayin'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #19

Forum is full of trouble makers. :-)
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Gee, I've never seen a Ford on the side of the road with the parking brake spontaneously applied stopping the vehicle in it's tracks.

----Just sayin'
And neither have I. But since "most" Workhorse chassis don't have an AAPB you won't see many of them there either. Unfortunately, it can and does happen to some of those with the P32 chassis.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think Workhorse in order to get the Chev 8.1 engine Allison combination, had to agree with Chev chassis when they took over their Chev chassis they also inherited the P-32 with problem braking system, fuel line problems and broke shackles problems also, which cause a problem starting up for Workhorse, with customers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since we are speculating, I would not be surprised to find that Newmar installs only one receiver/hitch on all the gas and DP (freightliner) RVs and it would be a Class 4. It would be simpler for Newmar to maintain only one SKU for 1 type of hitch for the RVs it produces. You see that practice in the same fresh, grey, and black holding tank sizes, furnaces, stoves, cooktops, microwaves, stereos, etc. The cost between a Classs 3 and 4 hitch would be minimal from the manufacturer. I think they have the same 2" tubing sidewall thickness.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
None of my paperwork from Ford's Incomplete Vehicle, or Newmars production order, list of equipment and serial numbers, or list of equipment installed mention a hitch/receiver. So maybe it is part of the Ford production.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #24

Looking at the 2014 brochure, the first picture on the cover clearly shows no hitch on the chassis. If Ford installed the hitch as a part of the chassis, I would think they would include that in their specifications and pictures, just like everything else.

Ford's maximum trailer capacity, as stated in the F-53 brochure, of 7,000 pounds for a 16,000 lb GVWR chassis has nothing to do with the tow system (=hitch to include all its components) that you attach based on your needs (=mfg needs). If you attached a 10,000 tow capacity hitch and its components to the frame, you would end up limited to a 7,000 tow rating, as I understand it, as now you have the chassis and tow system combined into the tow rating.

Of course, once you plop on the home, that may limit you to significantly below 7,000 lbs. with respect to the GCWR, as I understand it, as it does with a 5,000 hitch. The end GCWR rating is probably why they don't install a 10,000 hitch "system" on a 16,000 chassis.

And this is all separate from the towing components you use to tow 4 down that are actually attached to the vehicle.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I crawled under my RV today and discovered that Newmar buys a 208" chassis and cuts 18" out of it in the middle then welds and bolts it back together. I also saw that a 1/8" C channel was added to each of the Ford 1/4" C channels to reach the end of the rear cap where a tubular receiver was bolted between the 2 thinner C channels and a 5,000 rating was visible but no manufacturer's name.

On page 13 of the 2014 BayStar brochure you can see the tubular hitch and the steel drag welded to the bottom of the receiver.

If I boxed the Newmar added C channel I could replace the receiver/hitch with a Class 4 and have plenty of strength to tow more as long as I reduced the weight of the RV and stayed within the GCWR.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
If I boxed the Newmar added C channel I could replace the receiver/hitch with a Class 4 and have plenty of strength to tow more as long as I reduced the weight of the RV and stayed within the GCWR.
But, in order to legally use the hitch at the new capacity you would need to have Newmar certify it and issue you a new weight sticker. I doubt they'll do that.
When Newmar had Spartan replace our 12,000# front axle with a new 14,600# unit they did issue us a new sticker showing the change and added capacity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But, in order to legally use the hitch at the new capacity you would need to have Newmar certify it and issue you a new weight sticker. I doubt they'll do that.
When Newmar had Spartan replace our 12,000# front axle with a new 14,600# unit they did issue us a new sticker showing the change and added capacity.
REALLY? Please tell me what law a person is breaking by strengthening and modifying the mounting of a hitch. Thanks, Ed
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #28

Hi edgray, your response doesn't say you would do it yourself. But if you do it yourself, you would be breaking the law of unintended consequences. If you have an accident, you will be fully liable because your insurance won't cover your personally modified rig.

There are shops out there that will strengthen a tow hitch, but I think it is important to listen to what Mr. D is saying since this is much more complex than strengthening the tow on a 1/2 ton truck, which isn't a diy mod either, at least out here in California.

If you come to California, or are living here, as per the Ca Towing Laws, "29003 Every hitch, drawbar, coupler or other connection between motor vehicles towing must be securely attached to the vehicle and be strong enough to handle the weight of whatever you are towing."

"The installation of all the safety and hitching equipment for towing is strictly controlled by law. That’s why it is so important that you have a qualified installer help you with the selection and installation of your hitch system.

It is unlawful for any reputable hitch installer to install any hitch on your vehicle that does not qualify for your particular towing situation (of which he is aware)."

So, edgray, if your reputable hitch installer can not re-certify the rig and can not reissue you a weight sticker, out her in California you will be in the *******, as we say, should something happen or a highway patrol pulls you over and checks your hitch.

In other words, they are saying that a smart person like yourself, will understand that a tow modification is not a diy project, like changing the lid on your toilet.

"The unpleasant truth of the matter is that if you are stopped by a police officer or are in an accident, and the officer determines you are towing with the wrong or substandard equipment for your towing needs, you can be held criminally negligent and liable for any injuries and damage that you are involved in."

Tags
install