Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #43

X2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I doubt it will bend the frame of a Newmar late model coach.

Lifting front tires off the ground is ok. I prefer not to, as it is too big of a step.

Lifting the rear tires off the ground is not safe when on uneven surface. This is your only brake.

I have lifted the rear tires off the ground, but only in my garage that was level, and with the front tires both blocked properly.
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #44

I’ve done. No problems.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #45

Grand Design Owners Club
I hit my leveling and it is automatic. Usually nothing is off ground unless there is a large difference in elevation from rear to front.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
I get conflicting opinions about having your tires off the ground when levelling your rigs. I've heard it bends frames, others claim it will crack a frame but I've owned motorhomes for 40 years without bending or cracking a frame.

So, I am curious to your thoughts on the subject.
I'm always leary when I raise the wheels off the ground with the hydraulic jacks. What I consider critical is raising the entire rear or entire front at the same rate so as not to twist the frame.

As far as comfort while under the unit while the hydraulic jacks are lifting the unit, that's up to you. Wherever I am under the unit, I am always conscious about how much 'squish' room there is should the jacks bleed down while I am under it.

I block the appropriate wheels regardless of whether it should roll or not. This way, if the jacks do bleed down, it won't go anywhere.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #47

Based on what people said here, I just blocked the down wheels and raised each end in turn off the ground, but only because I had just replaced the pump motor and wanted to exercise the jacks from stop-to-stop and clean up/WD-40 the pistons. I figured that if something else on the HWH hydraulics is going to break I want to know about it now. Over several cycles during the day there was no drama. It was kinda fun. Sort of like doing the lowrider bouncy thing really large and way slow, with music by the spring section.

It leaves me with questions though -- is anyone raising all the wheels off the ground -- supporting the entire vehicle by the jacks (if so what's your weight)? What about one side or the other?

Optionally -- What music do you like to play when you do it? I'm thinking something like the 2001 space odyssey theme, or the Flight of the Valkyries is appropriate. But I can see how some would go with bagpipes.

When I got the new tires on my rig, I offered to "help out" with the jacks. The Les Schwab installer didn't really comment on the idea, he just got out his air jack and jackstands and went to work. When I asked the counterman about it he said that they might raise an axle that way during roadside repairs, but they wouldn't when there was a service jack available, and they wouldn't use any jack as a jackstand in any event. Jacks raise, jackstands hold. The way he said it, it seemed like he repeated it a lot. Makes sense.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #48

Bad idea

Others properly highlighted why raising the rear wheels off the ground is outright dangerous. One reply noted that front wheels off the ground can be hazardous to your jacks. This old engineer completely agrees. The design of those jacks enables a full load lift, (wheels off the ground). The same design can not tolerate side loads with the wheels are off the ground. I.E., side wind. “They will collapse under side loads if your wheels are not on the ground or firmly blocked thus resisting side movements.” You might get by for a while, but eventually you will end-up stuck with bent jacks.
dtchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #49

I'm just a beginner and I know the DP leveling Jacks are not lifting jacks. They are designed to only be used within the vertical range of the suspension system.
As mentioned above they do not have lateral strength. Yes they WILL lift wheels off the ground, but that's not what they are designed for.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtchris View Post
Others properly highlighted why raising the rear wheels off the ground is outright dangerous. One reply noted that front wheels off the ground can be hazardous to your jacks. This old engineer completely agrees. The design of those jacks enables a full load lift, (wheels off the ground). The same design can not tolerate side loads with the wheels are off the ground. I.E., side wind. “They will collapse under side loads if your wheels are not on the ground or firmly blocked thus resisting side movements.” You might get by for a while, but eventually you will end-up stuck with bent jacks.
agree!!
smkymtnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I guess it depends on your system; if you think about the HWH controls you’ll see the system is designed to prevent twisting the frame. You can’t raise one corner alone; you can only raise the front, back and either side alone, preserving straight lines.

So when you lift your front wheels off the ground, one may be higher off the ground than the other, but the coach is still level, so not twisted. Ive had a wheel off the ground to level many times with no worries.

Also I lifted the rears to change a tire (on level pavement) a couple weeks ago with the rig chocked and only about 1/8” off the ground. Just enough to do the swap. But I don’t lift the rears to level. If it was that far off I’d turn around or find another spot, but so far, I’ve never put myself in that position. Whether or not a spot is close enough to to level is usually pretty obvious.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #52

Most class a levelers are hydraulic and are not meant to hold the vehicle off the ground. My manual states not to lift wheels off the ground. Another thing to consider is hydraulic jacks designed to hold a vehicle off the ground have some kind of safety device in the event of a hydraulic failure. I don’t believe leveling jacks are in that category. I see Class A’s in RV parks with the tires way in the air and this makes the steps high in the air. I prefer to live in lower altitudes myself.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #53

Tires off the ground,why?

You only need to raise the vehicle enough to level, unless you’re wanting to change a tire.
It puts too much stress on your hydraulics and makes your vehicle unstable.
richndonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #54

I called Winnebago regarding raising tires off the ground and was told No. I was told to use wood blocks so support the footprint of each and every tire. My HWH jacks are meant to level but not support weight of coach by themselves. i have a Itasca Ellipse 43ft 40000 pounds.
Call HWH OR RV manufacturer if in doubt.
drurytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #55

I think the lateral stability lost when the wheels are off the ground raises the risk of bending a front Jack and causing real problems. I think it's a bad idea.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #56

Rear tires off the ground, never that's where the parking brakes are. Front tires maybe but it's better if they are blocked, that takes some of the bounce out as you move around in the coach. If the front tires are off the ground and blocked it's a real bear getting into the coach door and that's using a step stool that is about the same or less as the height of the front tires. If the site is that unlevel you need a better site. Remember the leveling jacks are made to lift the chassis without any side loading otherwise they can be bent especially at full extension... front or rear.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires