Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Interesting...never thought about removing the carry/handle legs. It’s pretty cumbersome and heavy, with them. It’s also a lot lower on those legs.
So you carry it with the bag, hows that work?
Where do you set it to use it?
Sorry for the delay was breaking a new Daniel Boone. Yes I carry it with the bag ,I try and pull from basement before putting slide out. Way easier on the back. I put on a folding table it’s closer to the height I like. The legs are too low

Kevin
Kevkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #86

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I have never used a Pellet Grill of any kind and after reading each post in the thread wonder just where the heck I’ve been. I love to grill and have a big propane Weber at home and carry a propane Q series Weber (quick connect tied into my coach’s LP tank) on the road. I’ve been happy about this setup... UNTIL NOW.

Why is it that so many have passionately migrated to Pellet Grills? Is it the flavor of what comes off of the grill? Is it the ease of use? Can you use a grill mat with a pellet grill? Do you need 110v to use the GMG Crockett? Who knows, I might just join the herd.

A question for Kevkari (post number 36)...was that some kind of dinosaur bone that you had on the grill????
I have the Traeger Scout in the MH. I manage a local big box store and we sell Traeger products. Ive got the Pro model at the house. The biggest reason I use one is theres no open flame even when grilling. Set the temp and walk away. No fear of flame up or grease fires. I love the way they cook as the fan actually moves the air over the top of the meat and so it cooks from the top down. Secondly I love to bake biscuits, pies, bread on the Traeger. It took awhile to adjust the recipes just right but man those biscuits and gravy are soooo good. The supporting app has wonderful recipes. The many different flavored pellets is another reason I love my Traeger, and their rubs are excellent. Not a big fan of the sauces so I make my own anyway. The newer models are now insulated heavier with an interior wall. Seems to help keep the heat in and reduces pellet consumption. They also reworked the door gaskets to help contain the smoke longer. Even if I didn’t sell them Traeger by far builds the best..... IMHO of course.
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #87

Let me add to this great discussion. The picture is of our tray behind the chest freezer bay. From the picture:

1. 17” Blackstone griddle. Love it.
2. Davy Crockett pellet smoker. Awesome, as others have said.
3. Shop vac to vacuum ashes. From the tray, the cord reaches the outlet in the adjacent bay. I usually vacuum the next day as embers and vacuum cleaners don’t mix. Don’t ask!
4. Wipes for cleaning grease, etc.
5. Camp Chef pellets. Dick’s Sporting goods had the best price.
6. 3/4 inch plywood with foil cover. I use this to protect tables from heat and to better distribute weight on my aluminum folding table (100lb capacity).
7. Davy Crockett box. I cut off the top half, kept the styrofoam insert/cradle inside. It still looks good after one year of use. I did put some tape around the edge to prevent fraying.
8. Folding table.

Some other points:

Davy Crockett: I ditched the legs/handle. By myself I can easily pick up the smoker (no bending as it is in an extended tray). I lift, turn, and set it on the folding table with plywood base.

This is an excellent smoker. Mine runs hot on the right side, so I tend to smoke on the left and sear on the right. WiFi, temp probe, and temperature precision are superb.

GrillGrates: I had them custom make a complete set for the smoker. Is use them for pizza and searing steaks. I prefer the original grates for smoking. Based on the other comments, I may experiment with these a bit more.

Rib Rack: got a cheap one for when we have company, but most times just cut baby backs in half and smoke both pieces on the left to avoid the hotter right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7D6843C-2071-4497-B90C-31C76393EA5D.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	251283  
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The bag seems of sufficient quality. A little awkward at first and would probably be easier without the legs attached which I’m still contemplating removing.

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	251486

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	251487

GMG Davey Crockett
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #89

I have a GMG Davy Crockett and love it. I remove the legs and I put it on a Coleman cooler stand to bring it up to my height as I am 6 ft 6 and makes it so much easier to work with
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #90

Traeger scout for the Dutchstar and Green mountain Daniel Boone for the house. Gotta love the advantage of the pellet grill and it's capabilities.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #91

Has anyone had any issues with crossing into Canada with the wood pellets?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Has anyone had any issues with crossing into Canada with the wood pellets?
That's a great question. Hopefully being compressed and sealed wouldn't be a problem.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
So thanks everyone for all the feedback and recommendations
I took my recently purchased Davy Crockett on the road for the first time.
All set up!
Smoked 2 rack of Baby Backs absolutely awesome.
I also grilled a couple of fillets on the grill grates that were recommended in this thread
I stow it on a slide out in the original box I cut down about 2/3 rds and then reinforced with packing tape
Not bad getting in and out.
I like to put aluminum for on drip tray when smoking for an easier cleanup, but how does aluminum foil hold up when you crank it to 550 for grilling?

Name:	DCF61E1E-32AC-4437-B324-20614611CABF.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	253591

Name:	612348A1-5AAF-4562-9CF3-05CC4C34A913.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	253592

Name:	616D0945-C408-4791-BCB6-EDC105373C2F.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	253593
Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
So thanks everyone for all the feedback and recommendations
I took my recently purchased Davy Crockett on the road for the first time.
All set up!
Smoked 2 rack of Baby Backs absolutely awesome.
I also grilled a couple of fillets on the grill grates that were recommended in this thread
I stow it on a slide out in the original box I cut down about 2/3 rds and then reinforced with packing tape
Not bad getting in and out.
I like to put aluminum for on drip tray when smoking for an easier cleanup, but how does aluminum foil hold up when you crank it to 550 for grilling?

Attachment 253591

Attachment 253592

Attachment 253593
We have a Daniel Boone at home and have used it for many years. I can't say that ours goes to 550 but we have had it 480-500 for searing and I have always used aluminum foil to make clean up easier.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe it was in this thread where it was discussed to remove the legs of the Davey Crockett which I was curious about. I ordered this table from the RVUpgradeStore.com site and was amazed how compact it is. Some pretty neat engineering to get it to fit in a small form factor for storage. It can hold 85lbs and I believe the DC is 68lbs.

Today I removed the legs from the DC which was very easy as it's just removing four screws as they are threaded into the shell of the grill, no inside nuts etc to deal with. 7/16" wrench I believe was what I used. I took the opportunity to vacuum out the DC which is all that's needed for cleaning. I like the height, same as a picnic table probably. I would probably use a picnic table as it's the same but this CG actually has in their notes not to put grills on the table. I like it, we'll see how handling the grill goes which I think will be fine and I have the bag now so that will be the easy way to transfer to/from the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	253659  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I believe it was in this thread where it was discussed to remove the legs of the Davey Crockett which I was curious about. I ordered this table from the RVUpgradeStore.com site and was amazed how compact it is. Some pretty neat engineering to get it to fit in a small form factor for storage. It can hold 85lbs and I believe the DC is 68lbs.
Do you worry about the bamboo top being exposed to the heat of the smoker?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Do you worry about the bamboo top being exposed to the heat of the smoker?
No but I'll pay attention to it. I'm not sure how much heat goes to the bottom vs. up via the internal burner. But I'll fire it up soon and check it out and report back.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
No but I'll pay attention to it. I'm not sure how much heat goes to the bottom vs. up via the internal burner. But I'll fire it up soon and check it out and report back.

I’d test it with the legs on . Heat it up and “carefully” check the bottom. I would guess it’s way to hot to just sit on a table top.
No use wasting a good table.

Tags
newmar