Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Had wings last night on my DC - meat just fell off the bone, was sooooo good!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #114

I've been having considerable trouble with my brand new Davey Crocket holding temperature. Thought it might be a bad ignitor (only first inch of the two inch long surface gets hot at all but it does light pellets), but the support staff at GMG thinks its a firmware issue. Currently I have version 6.7 (can't believe I'm taking about a grill and 'firmware' in the same breath), and they say to update to 6.9. Apparently this version has a better set of parameters wrt starting the grill and controlling the fan vs. temperature. Just in case, I did ask for the proper ohm specification on the ignitor - 2.1 ohms. Anyone else having issues with temperature holding on a DC? Also what firmware are you running?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm running 6.7 with no issues. It has some adjustment features under Grill Options but I never touched those. Make sure your fire box is all the way to the right. If it's new it may just be breaking in, i.e. getting the pellets in place. Sometimes it helps to compress or pack in the pellets in the hopper to make sure there are no voids there. I wasn't aware of a 6.9 firmware, I'll check for that now.

I don't see a 6.9, I'm using the "beta" aka prototype which is 6.7:

https://greenmountaingrills.com/firmware-changelog/
Old 07-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I've been having considerable trouble with my brand new Davey Crocket holding temperature. Thought it might be a bad ignitor (only first inch of the two inch long surface gets hot at all but it does light pellets), but the support staff at GMG thinks its a firmware issue. Currently I have version 6.7 (can't believe I'm taking about a grill and 'firmware' in the same breath), and they say to update to 6.9. Apparently this version has a better set of parameters wrt starting the grill and controlling the fan vs. temperature. Just in case, I did ask for the proper ohm specification on the ignitor - 2.1 ohms. Anyone else having issues with temperature holding on a DC? Also what firmware are you running?

Fan running ok? Heat shield location? 6.9 has helped temp issues.
ericrowley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #117

To update firmware, one must first dump the existing app off phone and reinstall. Otherwise the app will not recognize firmware updates. Once you do this (and note I haven't done this yet myself), 6.7 becomes non-prototype and the current regular firmware version and both 6.8 and 6.9 become available prototypes. The tech said don't bother with 6.8 but update to 6.9 (which yes, is suppose to help with my issues).

Yes, fan runs fine, but IMHO, it seems to not be kicking in at a high pitch until too late. Maybe this is what has changed with the 6.7 to 6.9 upgrade. Pellets? Too many unburnt pellets at the time the grill looses steam.

I'll check the heat shield location, but I think its where the instructions said to install (to right?).

Interestingly the grill was fine on initial burn in, but its been the two attempted cooks since then where trouble has abounded.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #118

Newmar Owners Club
I have been pondering about a portable pellet grill / smoker to use for LSU football weekends when I have many hours (i.e. 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) to smoke a nice cut of meat. My "tailgating crew" of family members and friends often numbers at least 12 folks. After reading the posts in this forum and viewing Traeger, Camp Chef, and Green Mountain websites, the Camp Chef Pursuit 20 looks to be the size I'd need to smoke a large pork butt or large briskets or several chickens, etc. to feed a hungry crowd of 12 or more folks.

Does the forum agree that the larger size Camp Chef Pursuit is what I need?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #119

Quote:
To update firmware, one must first dump the existing app off phone and reinstall. Otherwise the app will not recognize firmware updates. Once you do this (and note I haven't done this yet myself), 6.7 becomes non-prototype and the current regular firmware version and both 6.8 and 6.9 become available prototypes. The tech said don't bother with 6.8 but update to 6.9 (which yes, is suppose to help with my issues).

Yes, fan runs fine, but IMHO, it seems to not be kicking in at a high pitch until too late. Maybe this is what has changed with the 6.7 to 6.9 upgrade. Pellets? Too many unburnt pellets at the time the grill looses steam.

I'll check the heat shield location, but I think its where the instructions said to install (to right?).

Interestingly the grill was fine on initial burn in, but its been the two attempted cooks since then where trouble has abounded.

Yes, 6.9 has fan and auger timing corrections. What pellets are you using? Are they in good shape? Clean fire pot?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
I have been pondering about a portable pellet grill / smoker to use for LSU football weekends when I have many hours (i.e. 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) to smoke a nice cut of meat. My "tailgating crew" of family members and friends often numbers at least 12 folks. After reading the posts in this forum and viewing Traeger, Camp Chef, and Green Mountain websites, the Camp Chef Pursuit 20 looks to be the size I'd need to smoke a large pork butt or large briskets or several chickens, etc. to feed a hungry crowd of 12 or more folks.

12+ would be pushing it on a pursuit, but it can be done. You could maybe fit 2 pork butts or 2 briskets on it. There is not a ton of room between the top shelf and the top of the grill.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #121

I'm using a brand new bag of GMG pellets that are dry and flow well. Tried to do the firmware upgrade, but this 'FAL' failed. Called GMG, and they asked me 'do you have a modern 2.4/5.0 GHz router? I said yes, and they replied 'that's a problem.' WTH??? Now I've got to find a way to light up and connect ONLY a 2.4 GHz band on my brand new 'Smart' (but outsmarting me) Velop router without crapping out all the other 'Smart' devices I've already connected...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post

I have no experience with the Camp Chef Pursuit so I cannot comment on it.

I have the Green Mountain Grills (GMG) Davey Crocket (DC) I have a cooked a packer brisket on it on two separate occasions. I have also put two pork butts on it. The grill was somewhat full... but every time the end products were OUTSTANDING.

As a side note, for smaller items like chicken parts, hamburgers or hot dogs, GMG sells what they call Davy Crockett Smoke Shelf (Upper Rack). I made something like it for my GMG DC out of some stainless steel bolts, nuts, fender washers and a wire rack I had on hand.

I also like that the GMG DC runs on 12VDC, so I do not need 120VAC or an inverter to run it off a car battery.

Oh, it also has Wi-Fi so I can check the temperatures when I am away from my grill.

I also have the carrying bag, but I do not use it to carry the grill. I use it to put the grill in when I put it in my RV's storage bays. It keeps any smell and soot contained.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #123

Quote:
I'm using a brand new bag of GMG pellets that are dry and flow well. Tried to do the firmware upgrade, but this 'FAL' failed. Called GMG, and they asked me 'do you have a modern 2.4/5.0 GHz router? I said yes, and they replied 'that's a problem.' WTH??? Now I've got to find a way to light up and connect ONLY a 2.4 GHz band on my brand new 'Smart' (but outsmarting me) Velop router without crapping out all the other 'Smart' devices I've already connected...

Yes, this is very common. The grill only operates on 2.4. Most routers put out a bridged 2.4 and 5. If not, I will use my phone as a hotspot to connect and update as well.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Pellet Grills

I have a Traeger table top for the RV and a Memphis built in for the S & B.
Only issues i had on the tabletop was I learned to use a metal table to sit on as it gets to hot for a “plastic” picnic table.
Ray
Ray Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrowley18 View Post
Yes, this is very common. The grill only operates on 2.4. Most routers put out a bridged 2.4 and 5. If not, I will use my phone as a hotspot to connect and update as well.
Oh yes! Thanks! Gonna pull out the hotspot tonight! Its what I'll use on the road anyway.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #126

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I still don't see anything beyond 6.7 for firmware and I too get a FAL when trying to update to the latest prototype. The WiFi on these are finicky, I never got it to connect to my Netgear R9000 router I had previously, the Netgear Orbi system I have no seems to work fine. The current firmware works for me so no real need to chase down something newer. The newer firmwares may also be for the new line of grills that recently released in the past 6 months but I don't know.

I've always used GMG pellets but I recently bought a bag of Traeger which I just put in my kingston container. The pellets are significantly longer by 2-3 times, not sure if this will cause a problem but we'll see.

Ribs on the smoker today. Everyone is invited

Tags
newmar