Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #127

Sold the Traeger back to Costco today. They gave me a full refund on the PTG+ that we had purchased in 6/16. Great customer service in doing so. We had only used it 5-6 times during that 3 year period. We will soon be getting our GMG Davy Crockett.Anyone use the carrying bag for it to help with the smoky smell in the bay?
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 AM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I’ve never noticed smells in the bay. I recently got the carry bag and it’s fine.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #129
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We use the carry bag and it seems to keep the area cleaner for those “rare” occasions we put our Davy away dirty.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
Sold the Traeger back to Costco today. They gave me a full refund on the PTG+ that we had purchased in 6/16. Great customer service in doing so. We had only used it 5-6 times during that 3 year period. We will soon be getting our GMG Davy Crockett.Anyone use the carrying bag for it to help with the smoky smell in the bay?

I use the carry bag but more for ease of getting in and out of the storage bay. Not much smell from the smoker overall even if not cleaned in a while.

Bag makes it much easier to get in and out and seems to be holding up well.

If you get one it will be kind of molded so the smoker goes in one way better than the other. If you get it in the right way the zippers actually close fully (don’t ask me how I know this 🤣&#129315
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #131

Newmar Owners Club
Keep the box it came in
Cut top 2/3rds off
Put box in basement
Set DC in box in styrofoam insert.
Works for meClick image for larger version

Name:	5C74A400-B843-4A6E-AF15-6E11208C18B2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	255448
Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #132

We just unboxed our Davy Crockett that we just purchased to replace the Traeger. I like the idea that Dave did with cutting down the box to store it. If I determine that there is to much smell from the grill then we get the carry bag. I did the burn in yesterday and was very pleased when it was at 350 for 30 minutes that it barely varied from that temp. Can't wait to use it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	257289  
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
We just unboxed our Davy Crockett that we just purchased to replace the Traeger. I like the idea that Dave did with cutting down the box to store it. If I determine that there is to much smell from the grill then we get the carry bag. I did the burn in yesterday and was very pleased when it was at 350 for 30 minutes that it barely varied from that temp. Can't wait to use it now.

We have used the Davy Crockett for several years. A great piece of equipment. It fits in the bay of our Dutch Star just barely. We are never far from one as we have a Daniel Boone model for our sticks and mortar home. They require more upkeep than a Weber but really do such a great job with smoking projects. We have had stuff break but Green Mountain really stands behind their products. Over the years they have replaced every thing except the box. Some was my fault but no problem.
Cook on!
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #134

Here's my set up. I have a Green Mountain grills Davy crocket model sitting on a Coleman cooler stand period between them is a sheet and that I got from a bakery that was going out of business.

To the left you will see a green bucket with a gamma seal lid on it. That keeps my pellets away from humidity and keeps him from spilling.

Leaning up on the cooler stand you will see my grates that came with he grill. Underneath the color stand is another set of grates on some legs that I made out of stainless steel screws and fender washers so now I can have 2 levels of cooking inside my grill. A cheap way to double my cooling space.

Inside the grill is a set of grill grates. They are aluminum and transferred heat quite evenly and aid in Browning . They also minimize flair ups.

The reason I like the cooler stand is it's quite tall and as I am 6' 6" and get a sore back if I have too far to bend down to use my grill, and it packs down very small in our stotage bay. I don't remember the number now but the cooler stand is rated for more weight than I have in the grill.

Name:	20190907_084849.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	259458Click image for larger version

Name:	1567860905501.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	259459
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #135

We have had a Davy Crockett for several years and it fits like a glove in our Dutch Star on a tray. I have a Daniel Boone at home and have had it several years. I think we have had the Crockett maybe 6 years. We are attached to it and should get a commission for convincing other campers to get one.

GM stands behind their products as I have had everything replaced except the box and legs at least once. Most of the problems were due to my carelessness. It has some faults, like disassembly to clean the pellet fire box, and hard to empty the pellet box if I want to change types of pellets. The temp indication is not all that accurate, but I have an IR sensor that I used to find it’s true temp and went from there. It is very stable at whatever temp I set and as I know the exact temp if I ruin an expensive piece of meat it is my fault. We are not full timers and I use a GM Daniel Boone at home. I also have a Green Egg, but another story.

I cook burgers, fish, ribs and all the standard fare that a hungry camper needs. No flames, plenty of smoke flavor and care free smoking and grilling. It cooks nearly every meal we consume when we are camping. I have the optional blanket installed on the case. Works well in the cold. WiFi is great.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
Here's my set up. I have a Green Mountain grills Davy crocket model sitting on a Coleman cooler stand period between them is a sheet and that I got from a bakery that was going out of business.

To the left you will see a green bucket with a gamma seal lid on it. That keeps my pellets away from humidity and keeps him from spilling.

Leaning up on the cooler stand you will see my grates that came with he grill. Underneath the color stand is another set of grates on some legs that I made out of stainless steel screws and fender washers so now I can have 2 levels of cooking inside my grill. A cheap way to double my cooling space.

Inside the grill is a set of grill grates. They are aluminum and transferred heat quite evenly and aid in Browning . They also minimize flair ups.

The reason I like the cooler stand is it's quite tall and as I am 6' 6" and get a sore back if I have too far to bend down to use my grill, and it packs down very small in our stotage bay. I don't remember the number now but the cooler stand is rated for more weight than I have in the grill.

Attachment 259458Attachment 259459
My setup is very close to yours. I use an aluminum folding table with a foil covered 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the smoker. I like your tray solution better and will go find something similar.

I’m 6’2”, so totally agree on smoker height as well.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #137

After seeing my brother's backyard Grilla Silverbac, I decided to purchase their new portable, the Chimp. Company is out of Holland, Michigan. Super-high build quality but expensive at $529.

grillagrills.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grilla chimp.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	259582  
Old 09-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
My setup is very close to yours. I use an aluminum folding table with a foil covered 3/4 inch piece of plywood under the smoker. I like your tray solution better and will go find something similar.

I’m 6’2”, so totally agree on smoker height as well.
I sometimes flip the sheet pan upside down on a picnic table and then put the grill on top. I then have two air gaps and a semi reflective surface between the bottom of my grill and the table. That way I don't burn the table.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #139

I would like to see a side to side comparison between the Davey Crockett (DC) and the Chimp.

At first glance I would assume the Chimp is more fuel efficient but I would miss the wifi connection to the DC....
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
I sometimes flip the sheet pan upside down on a picnic table and then put the grill on top. I then have two air gaps and a semi reflective surface between the bottom of my grill and the table. That way I don't burn the table.
Makes sense. My plywood solution works, but I like the durability of yours.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar