Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

Who tows a Chevy Sonic?

I'm looking at the Chevy Sonic to flat tow.

Anyone out there have any experience with the Sonic?
shunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

Depends on what year. I towed a 2013 Sonic hatch back, automatic transmission, and it was a good experience. For that year there was one fuse that had to be pulled/bypassed when towing. Roadmaster makes a switch for it. I also used the Roadmaster tow bar and base plate and all was good. If you are looking at a more recent model with things like remote start, consult the owners manual as I’ve heard things are a little different. It is or was a great little tow car.

I swapped the Sonic for a Jeep Wrangler primarily because the Jeep can go more places than the Sonic. We went to Monument Valley as an example and the Sonic could not go through the sand. Your travel destinations may be different.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
WTB

I currently flat tow a 2013 Sonic hatch back, automatic transmission, and it is easy to put on the bar and tow. I have the switch from Roadmaster that eliminates the need to remove the fuse.. I also use the Roadmaster tow bar and base plate. It is a great little toad. As for more recent models I don't know if they can also be flat towed
Old 01-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

This 2019 Guide still lists it as towable. It's a great little car and excellent mileage. However, it's only recommended for two people. Not much leg room in the rear.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/motor...inghyGuide.pdf
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

I don’t have any experience with a Sonic but I know that with some small car/RV combinations the height difference can be a problem. My Fleetwood/Focus would have needed a 12 inch drop and I was not comfortable with that.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #6

What model Sonics are you towing and the year? I like the RS and it says it’s towable. 2018
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

I haven't towed yet, however I did buy a 2018 RS with the 1.8L engine. My wife and I love the ride, it's quiet, and handles well. We actually prefer driving it over our 2012 Lexus E350. Mostly because the seats in the Sonic "fit" and support better. I just got done (last week) installing the Roadmaster baseplate, and the bulb and socket light kit, which has you installing a new bulb and socket into the rear light housings. This way I did not touch any factory wiring and the new bulb and socket fits great in the large rear light housing of the Sonic, you just have to drill a 1" hole and run wires from front to rear. I'm bought the NSA - Ready Brute II Elite towbar. It uses an integrated surge brake that requires you to install a cable and conduit kit through the engine compartment and to the brake pedal for the supplementary braking system. It also comes with a break-away kit that needs another cable to the brake. Our first trip in later this month April. I bought the entire system from NSATowbar.com. They set you up with everything you need except the coiled cable from the motorhome to the car and a drop hitch adaptor (I'm using an 8" drop).
Old 04-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Wow. Thanks for all that. That’s a huge help. I was going to go with etrailer, it would have been close to $3000. I will look into the road master. I really like the RS, I just don’t get what Chevy changed on them from 2017 to 2018. They made it towable in 2018 in the owners manual. They look like a nice little car, and the weight won’t be a problem at all. Good luck in your adventures, let us all know how it towed. I wish you would have had a few trips already for more feedback. Please keep us posted, this was a very informative post
Gpdakota
Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #9

Before you by tow equipment, take a hard look at NSA Ready Brute Elite setup. Very goos=d equipment and usually very price competitive. And you WILL need a drop hitch as Pete above stated.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #10

I tow a 2020 Sonic Sedan Automatic. Blue Ox base plate and Demco Stay and Play braking system. I literally flip 2 switches( inside the car) and she is ready to tow. Just towed her 1500 miles from florida to michigan ....no problems.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I 'was' using a 6" drop on the end of my Hydralift, towing a 2012 sedan, but I dragged on a few ferry ramps, so I switched to a 4".
I have a long 10,500lb tow bar, and a good proportionate aux braking system, so I don't mind having a little extra slope to the baseplate.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Make sure you contact “NSATowbar.com”. They are small group that I believe may have shot off of NSA Inc. who make the Ready Brute II Elite tow bar. They will provide the NSA tow bar along with all the other stuff of your choice. You can select different base plates for example such as Roadmaster or Blue Ox. As far as the difference between 2017 and 2018, pull up the two brochures and you’ll see the RS in 2018 is watered down to some trim items. In 2017 the RS is a turbo with an auto transmission that’s not towable.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

What are you all driving while towing the Sonic? I just realized I need a 10” drop hitch and that is not going to be fun going j to gas stations and such. Going to get with my buddy that owns a welding company and maybe try and figure something out. I don’t see why they can’t put a raised arm where it comes out at the car. It could go up 4” with gussets and then hook to the tow bar. It’s surprising to me that they haven’t done this so some of us can tow smaller cars. The Chevy was my only real option. I can’t transfer into a jeep or something taller from my wheelchair. Well, I could but not every day. I have a newmar Canyon star 3911. What you all driving Sonic owners and what is you drop hitch length?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #14

I'm towing a 2018 Sonic RS, with a Roadmaster base plate behind a 2017 Bay Star 3403. The Bay Star hitch receiver is 22" high and the Sonic connections are 13.5 to 14" high, so I use a 8" drop. Doesn't look like an issue for me.

Tags
chevy, tow