Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Angry Whoops, forgot slide locks

After being so careful about releasing slide locks and moving the drivers seat forward, I forgot today to release the locks on the living room slide. Motor torqued out, which should have raised an alarm, then I heard some noise below where the motor and one of the sprockets are located. It did not move more than a few inches, and I could not see any damage other than some rough places on the bar where the sprocket drives the slide out. I am probably the only one that has done that, but if anyone else has, did you notice any damage? Did it affect future use of the slide. I would appreciate any advice.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Rick, you are the only one who has done that. LOL.

I've done it too, but I was fortunate enough to catch it before anything really bad happened. I've crushed computer bags, brooms, running shoes, you name it, while extending the slides, so slide operations can be the gift that keeps on giving.

I have no lingering effects and over time was able to get my routine down to where I've pretty much idiot-proofed the process, but tomorrow is a different day.

If everything is going in and out now as it should be, just use it as a cheap lesson.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Made this same mistake myself this past week, having just purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star. Thought I'd post my experience, in case it helps someone else.

First made the mistake on Saturday morning, as I tried to put the slide out with the arms locked. Tried a couple of times to put it out, as it moved an inch or so and then stopped. Backed up, tried again, and then finally remembered I'd left the arms locked. Unlocked them, slid it all the way out, and then tried bringing it back and discovered I was having problems getting it to come back in. It would come in a couple of inches and then stop, and I'd go out, in, out, in, and finally after half a dozen tries it finally came all the way in. Then I put it back out.

The next day, I brought it back in again (having a problem getting it to come in at first again), and then discovered that after it was all the way in, the front/bottom corner was still sticking out about two inches (top front, and bottom and top rear corners were all in). I was *sick*, thinking that in extending with the arms locked the day before I had actually *bent* the frame. This made sense, since the locking arms are near the *top* of the slideout, while the drive screws are at the bottom. My reasoning was that the arms held the top locked while the bottom screw pushed the bottom front out a couple inches and bent/warmed the front vertical frame. Resigned myself to thinking I'd have to live with it or pay thousands to get it fixed. Drove about 400 miles, and was hearing a "clunking" sound as well occasionally as we hit bumps, and hadn't heard them before so now I was *really* sick wondering what else I had damaged.

Arrived at the campground Sunday night, went to put the slide out again, and this time it moved a couple of inches and then started going "clunk-clunk-clunk" as it shook up/down without moving out. Pulled it in, tried again, same result. Tried a third time, same result. And then it dawned on my wife and me: we'd done it again! Left the arms locked! We're such idiots!

Unlocked them, pulled it all the way in, and went out to survey the damage, expecting it to now be much worse. And to our great relief and joy, we discovered that it was now FIXED! The bottom front corner was all the way in along with the other three corners, and everything once again appeared to be PERFECT! And no more clunking as we drove home the next day, and it now came in/out with no issues.

So now I believe what happened is the *first* time I screwed it, the bottom front gear had "skipped a tooth," such that it was out of alignment with the rear drive arm, and that's why the bottom front wouldn't get pulled in. And then when I screwed it up the *second* time, I got the *back* to skip a tooth too such that it was now aligned again, and all is right with the world.

So the moral of the story: two wrongs *did* make a right, at least in this instance!

Hope others don't make the same mistake(s) I did!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Having been a USAF pilot and using check lists all the time. I've gotten used to making them up and following them. It's not a big deal to do and can save you a lot of money if you forget to do something, and you now have a big repair bill.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have been very concerned that we too would try to extend the slide with the locks in place. What I do is place a post -it-note over the slide buttons in the cabinet above the door and one over the slide switch in the bedroom. So far so good. I see the sticky note and I know that I have to release the locks.

I cannot take credit for the idea. Saw it on another post, so I thought I would pass along the idea.

Safe Travels,
Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the replies. I too use notes in the cabinet where the front slide switches are, but I guess they need to be over the slide buttons themselves since I ignored the one on the side warning me to release the locks and to move the seat forward. I was distracted getting prepared for the Whirlpool tech who was coming to troubleshoot our frige which just quit cooling.
Another lesson not to let one problem create another larger one. So far don't see any damage or alignment issue, just a gouge in the bar where the cog goes into it.
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

I installed a lockout over the switches along with the "pilot" check list for departure and arrival.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

Just wait until you bring slide in against your drivers seat and see what it does to it.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Just wait until you bring slide in against your drivers seat and see what it does to it.
Oh Yeah ... that's real treat. The good news in my current coach is that the driver position is far enough forward to not touch the slide. I leave the seat alone !
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I too use notes in the cabinet where the front slide switches are, but I guess they need to be over the slide buttons themselves since I ignored the one on the side warning me to release the locks and to move the seat forward. I was distracted getting prepared for the Whirlpool tech who was coming to troubleshoot our frige which just quit cooling.
Another lesson not to let one problem create another larger one. So far don't see any damage or alignment issue, just a gouge in the bar where the cog goes into it.
Rick
Distractions can be expensive. After a couple of miscues, I now do not talk to anyone during disembark or arrivals. DW and I have our designated tasks and go about them with blinders. I have gotten the attention of a few neighbours thinking I was ignoring them and had to apologize. I guess the older I get the more one track my mind gets.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
The salesman did that when we were viewing the coach. Thank goodness he stopped the slide at once. I like the idea of the checklist, my father used one(Capt USN WWII) and now I know why. My memory is not what it used to be.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #12

Check list for me too. Lived on a boat for 10yrs, and know how critical mistakes can embarrass as well as be expensive. Watched a very high dollar yacht attempt to leave his slip one day with his power cord still attached. It was also secured to a dock cleat and onboard cleat. Those things stretch farther than you might think, but when they spring back WOW, much hilarity and damage occurs. Husband and wife each thought other had done it.
I've made a departure board for us now that we RV. Has two rows of holes (one on each side) with golf tees in one side. Rows read 'yes' or 'no' and board is labeled travel ready. In between the holes are the items we need to check. I go through entire board, then hand to DW and she checks it too. Trust but verify. Getting too old to remember everything. Brain is storing too much useless crap!😜

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now you know why I stopped using the slide locks. No issues without them.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Now you know why I stopped using the slide locks. No issues without them.
Mine like to rattle....

Tags
slide