Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #3445

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Unfortunately a 2400 mile sight seeing trip awaits. Long story short - there is a crack in one and a chunk missing out of the other now, that happened on the trip. They called to check stock and they told me that both would be here tomorrow and then came back later and said they got an update that only the passenger side is in stock - the driver side is 6 weeks. I tried to find a cheap flight but nothing out of South Bend. Been in a hotel since last Wednesday - the coach had to stay inside since it didn't have windshields in it, which meant that they took my mobile hotel away.
I wondered if part of it was the trip up otherwise seemed you could have waited for the parts to get it.

We'll be driving up and back this summer. Wondering what route you take and if there are good campgrounds along the way. Was trying to turn the trip into something a little more fun than just up and back but didn't look too exciting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #3446

We found the overflow lot and are set up. Thanks to all.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
I wondered if part of it was the trip up otherwise seemed you could have waited for the parts to get it.

We'll be driving up and back this summer. Wondering what route you take and if there are good campgrounds along the way. Was trying to turn the trip into something a little more fun than just up and back but didn't look too exciting.
I took 75 N to Chattanooga and then took 24 west to Nashville and then picked up 65 N to Indianapolis to 31 N to 6 and to Nappanee. I planned stops every 300 miles, so that was 2 in GA (just stop overs - Cains CreekSide RV (nice place) and Leisure Time RV (not a nice place)), 1 in KY "Diamond Cavern Thousand Trails/Encore/ Passport America" next to Mammoth Cave, stayed a couple days there. I stayed at the Elkhart Fairgrounds in Goshen for a couple days prior to the appointment day. I have a different route set out for the return but won't know how it works out 'til end of June.Coming back Tuesday I'll probably do 600 miles a day since I don't have my bed in the back, like in the coach. we'll see.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
We found the overflow lot and are set up. Thanks to all.
Were my directions on the money? Should be a couple nice Essex in there with you. They were stopped in the middle of the FHU area trying to figure out what to do.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #3449

Quote:
Were my directions on the money? Should be a couple nice Essex in there with you. They were stopped in the middle of the FHU area trying to figure out what to do.
Directions were excellent! We found a spot by a couple of Essex units.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #3450

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I took 75 N to Chattanooga and then took 24 west to Nashville and then picked up 65 N to Indianapolis to 31 N to 6 and to Nappanee. I planned stops every 300 miles, so that was 2 in GA (just stop overs - Cains CreekSide RV (nice place) and Leisure Time RV (not a nice place)), 1 in KY "Diamond Cavern Thousand Trails/Encore/ Passport America" next to Mammoth Cave, stayed a couple days there. I stayed at the Elkhart Fairgrounds in Goshen for a couple days prior to the appointment day. I have a different route set out for the return but won't know how it works out 'til end of June.Coming back Tuesday I'll probably do 600 miles a day since I don't have my bed in the back, like in the coach. we'll see.
Thanks for sharing your route. Will probably use that as a starting frame of reference. Your driving days (in the MH) are a little longer than ours. Definitely going to be a different travel experience without your bed in the back
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Thanks for sharing your route. Will probably use that as a starting frame of reference. Your driving days (in the MH) are a little longer than ours. Definitely going to be a different travel experience without your bed in the back
Not sure what you use to plan - I use Google Earth Pro. There are some .kmz files that you can import that show all the TT and another that shows all the Passport America CG in the country - makes planning a little easier.
The driving wasn't too bad as I avg'd 65mph so five hours and I was at the next stop. The longest leg was from KY to Goshen - 366 miles plus it was snowing during the last 100 miles.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #3452

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure what you use to plan - I use Google Earth Pro. There are some .kmz files that you can import that show all the TT and another that shows all the Passport America CG in the country - makes planning a little easier.
The driving wasn't too bad as I avg'd 65mph so five hours and I was at the next stop. The longest leg was from KY to Goshen - 366 miles plus it was snowing during the last 100 miles.
Thanks again for sharing your info. It always helps me to see how people tackle similar situations. Although 366 and 100 of that snowing - can't imagine!

We're just coming off fulltime so have learned to enjoy short driving days. Usually aim for 200 miles, or less. Driving to Nappanee and back for a service appointment is quite different from the fulltime approach.

Found RV Trip Wizard a while back and so far that seems to work for us for route planning. Shows RV friendly routes and has filters for preferred CGs.

Looks like "home" for you is Sarasota so that why I was assuming your route up would be similar to ours.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #3453

I've been chi-chattin' with a fella the past week that avoids Atlanta - he swings west into Alabama and picks up 65 there. He mentioned 231. You meet some great people sitting around the waiting area and also see people again you met previously.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #3454

Quote:
I've been chi-chattin' with a fella the past week that avoids Atlanta - he swings west into Alabama and picks up 65 there. He mentioned 231. You meet some great people sitting around the waiting area and also see people again you met previously.
Sounds like the way we went to Nappanee from Naples last July...to avoid Atlanta. Turned out to be a very pleasant trip. The COE campground in Nashville was very nice...stayed there 2 nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NaplesNappanee.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	245034  
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #3455

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
Sounds like the way we went to Nappanee from Naples last July...to avoid Atlanta. Turned out to be a very pleasant trip. The COE campground in Nashville was very nice...stayed there 2 nights.
Looks like you use RV Trip Wizard also. Definitely longer driving days than we've been doing. But that may be my problem because there aren't that many good overnight stops with the shorter days.

We may need to give this route a try anyway though. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #3456

BuckyII what app are you using for trip planning?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #3457

Quote:
BuckyII what app are you using for trip planning?
RVTripWizard. Costs $39/yr...in my opinion, well worth it.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #3458

I was talking with Newmar and the rep mentioned they would be closed (I assume just service, but didn't ask) for three weeks at the end of September. Is this normal and if not, anyone know why they are going to be shutdown for that period?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote