Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #4355

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
For things to do during the day- Shippshewana IN. has a great flea market as well as downtown shopping. Also - take a ride up to White Pigeon MI- about 35 miles North & visit 2 large RV Surplus Stores- Bontager's RV Surplus - 1-269-483-7017 & Johnsons RV Surplus 1-269-483-2249- both are located along Rt 12 just inside the MI line- its always fun browsing around these places & you can get some real bargains on windshield wiper blades, molding, Etc.
For the best pastries & donuts in the area- go to Rise-N-Roll just north of Nappanee on Rt 19.
Some real good eating places are- Dutch Kitchen for breakfast & lunch- just on the NW corner of Newmar campus. Hunters in downtown Nappanee has good lunches & dinners as well. For the best Salad bar in the area go to Martin's IGA just 3 blocks north of the Newmar Service Center. For dinner try Reene's in Nappanee as well as Mary's Place in Leesburg- SE of Nappanee on Rt 15 as well as the Sleepy Owl Supper Club just south of Syracuse on Rt 13. And of course don't forget the Five & Dime Store in Wakarusa IN.- just north on Rt 19- for great homemade candy & Jelly Beans of every flavor & variety!

Happy Trails & eating
Capt Bill,

You got the donuts but forgot the best ice cream. Rocket Science Ice Cream where it is made right in front of you with Nitrogen gas that is used to freeze it. Just down the street from the service center, toward town on 6.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #4356

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Capt Bill,

You got the donuts but forgot the best ice cream. Rocket Science Ice Cream where it is made right in front of you with Nitrogen gas that is used to freeze it. Just down the street from the service center, toward town on 6.
Sorry about forgetting the ice cream VP Chianese- been going up to Nappanee since 1998- you'd think I know by now with about 15-16 trips up there with 3 different coaches!!!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #4357

That ice cream is delicious.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #4358

Don't forget Ruhe 52 not far from the Service Center. Good food. I think they might have changed their hours because of Covid, but check to be sure.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #4359

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Our appointment is still a few weeks 11/11. I’ve read about the good places to eat, and have been to the RV hall of fame. I’m looking for things to do during the day.
RV hall of game is fun.
Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #4360

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm here for the Girard awning structural retrofit. Campground is pretty full, and the winds are strong but no precipitation.

The water is already turned off at the campground, which is normal this time of year.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #4361

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I'm here for the Girard awning structural retrofit. Campground is pretty full, and the winds are strong but no precipitation.

The water is already turned off at the campground, which is normal this time of year.
We’re scheduled to come in the first week of December. What do you do for water if it is turned off?
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #4362

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
We’re scheduled to come in the first week of December. What do you do for water if it is turned off?

They will fill your water tanks in the service department. Just make sure you arrive with enough water to last you till morning.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #4363

Newmar Owners Club
Arriving on the 8th for our appointment on the 9th. Fourth trip to Newmar, first with the newer old coach. Having foam seals replaced and all slides adjusted. One is just a bit wonkie.
Newmar is my go-to for any major repairs. It is worth the drive from Oklahoma. Second choice is Midway in Grand Rapids. For oil changes and air dryer service I highly recommend Freightliner of Kalamazoo even though this coach is a Spartan. Top notch service and a great price on the oil change.
Previous posts have mentioned all the best places to see, eat and shop in the area.
One addition is Veni's chocolates at the main 4 corners in Nappanee. Hope they are still there as the maple creams/dark chocolate are the best.
Staying at Das Essenhaus in Middlebury. Just found out the restaurant is closed for dining in. Full carry out and delivery available. Looking forward to our trip.

Cheers,
Mark & Laurie
2006 Mountain Aire 4032
2011 Ford Edge toad
T1Jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #4364

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Everyone, we will be arriving at the service center for warranty work on December the 6th for work beginning on the 7th. Initial work order says to plan on 5 days, so from people that have been there before; what is the service center lounge and other areas like and how about the area for dogs? I saw where people had given ideas about where to visit during the day and places nearby to eat. So, you have to be ready for coach pickup at 0600 and they return it at 1400 hrs? Do you have to be present when they return the coach or is it advised to be present? This is our first coach and first trip to Newmar so please excuse me for the questions. Also any helpful suggestions on how to manage the water situation would be greatly appreciated. We have a Ventana 4002 with Oasis system and I told the wife she couldn't take a "Marathon" shower. That didn't go over too well, so any help would be appreciated to get me somewhat out of the doghouse. Thanks
Gnewmarvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #4365
Community Moderator

We were there for 3 weeks in August. Inside lounge is really nice. You need to have rig ready for travel by 5:45am and in line by the bldg to check in and have temperature taken every morning. They will not come to get your rig if everyone in your rig has not checked in that morning.

You don’t need to be present when they return the RV, however I always wanted to be so that I could see what happened that day and ask questions.

We would go have breakfast or lunch and do a bit of site seeing, then be back by 14:00 usually.

They have laundry facilities in the bldg so not having an endless source of water shouldn’t be a problem.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #4366

Is the campground gate up in the winter? Id like to arrive a few days early and I don't know when they input the gate code list. Is the gate up now?
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:15 AM   #4367

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
Is the campground gate up in the winter? Id like to arrive a few days early and I don't know when they input the gate code list. Is the gate up now?

The gate is closed, and functional. The old parking area is closed with barricades. We arrived Tuesday 11/10/20, I do not know where the “overflow” area is, so I can’t speak to its status.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:40 AM   #4368

There is no "overflow" area anymore. Newmar CG has more sites than they have bays in the service center but you can only get into the CG the day before your appt. I stayed at the Elkhart fairgrounds in Goshen - a short drive NE of Nappanee. They have city water which is a big plus around this area; any CG in the area on well water, like Plamoor, will have very rusty water, which will plug up everything - bring some extra water filters if planning to stay at Plamoor.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote