Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
The interior should always smell pleasant. You can seal up your coach (windows closed, etc.) And then turn on the bathroom fan.

Then start sniffing.
Agreed. If is doesn't smell good, you have an issue somewhere.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
hmmm...I wonder...I've never used the fan til just now per your suggestion (closed coach and run bath fan.... can I do this while driving too? albeit could be a temp situation if there really is an issue here. I still have to dump tanks and rinse them out and add chemicals and see if I still have an issue as well.
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
When I noticed odors in the coach it usually turned out to be having to re-tighten the toilet down and sometimes the clamp holding the toilet bowl to the toilet base.

If you had a fan on and flushed the old style toilets you would get a big whiff of your black water tank contents. If you flushed your toilet while the windows were open and driving you would most likely get that same whiff as well.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You may have a couple of things going on.

Do you have a Sanicon? I ask because when I dump the grey tank we notice that with all the suction it will pull the water out of the p-trap under the half bath sink.

If you are sure it’s black tank smell the air admittance valve under that same sink may have failed. Quick way to check is cover it with a plastic bag and tap it tight. If the smell stops that’s the culprit. Don’t leave it on there long term just to troubleshoot.

They can be purchased at any home repair or Ace Hardware. They unscrew and you can carry it in so you are sure that is the right size. They will wear out with time.

As for the showers, generally Newmar’s don’t have p-traps under the shower, they are a rubber duckbill type of trap. That is why we are told not to take a screwdriver or stick anything in the drain as it can damage the rubber piece.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
we took a drive in her yesterday...before we did I ran water in the sinks to make sure there was water in the p-traps. I did notice that the smell was less prevalent and no one complained about the smell this time out. I still haven't dumped the tanks, both showing 1/2 full.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #20

Someone upstream in the thread mentioned the vent cap. I recently encountered the same bathroom odor problem in my coach and after a short investigation found a broken vent cap. I replaced both vent caps with those fancy schmancy Lippert Siphon vent caps. We immediately noticed a (pleasant!) difference in coach odor levels.

I can also second the statement of the grey tank smelling pretty foul, depending on what dishes you've recently washed. A little baking soda and vinegar has more than once saved our kitchen from smelling like hot garbage.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will check vent caps...where are they usually located?
Old 01-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #22

On the roof. The factory uses PCV caps; they look like this:

Hopefully that link works. If not, maybe a clickable one will? https://s16962.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...6/03/88181.jpg

A broken one will be missing the "cap" part there and instead you'll see the base and a 1.5" PCV tube poking out.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerGuy View Post
Someone upstream in the thread mentioned the vent cap. I recently encountered the same bathroom odor problem in my coach and after a short investigation found a broken vent cap. I replaced both vent caps with those fancy schmancy Lippert Siphon vent caps. We immediately noticed a (pleasant!) difference in coach odor levels.

I can also second the statement of the grey tank smelling pretty foul, depending on what dishes you've recently washed. A little baking soda and vinegar has more than once saved our kitchen from smelling like hot garbage.
Pull the cap and ensure the pvc pip is up in the cap and isn't just venting in the attic.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #24

The last time we were at Newmar, our tech. told us to also treat the grey tank about every other dump with the same chemical we use for the blank tank. (keeps the tank sensor working) Since then I replaced one "air admittance valve" in the 1/2 bath and we now use a sink strainer (screen) in the kitchen sink to stop all food debris. Problem solved.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

As someone else mentioned if you have a Washer/Dryer make sure that trap also has water in it. About once a year ours will dry out and start to smell. A cup of water in the pipe and the problem is solved

2016 Newmar Ventana
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had that problem. Turned out that the toilet was broken where you could not see it. Had to take it up and between the bow and the seal it was broken. Replaced the toilet and everything is good.
A good RV shop was quick to find it.
Louis
Strohack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #27

I agree with all the mentioned items, however, after looking at all of these, I found that my black tank had a leak and it was very hard to notice. this was because of the leaking water...uh sewage ran under the tank and pooled on the plastic under the tank. Once I discovered this, I sprayed Clorox between the tank the plastic underneath it. The smell went away but came back soon until I had to finally remove the tank, repair the leak, and replace it. Yes, a lot of work but the smell has never returned. I think it happened by freezing one time, but that is only a guess.
bchall05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #28

Because it does

Over the years I’ve had the same problem. My 2011 Southwind 32VS would often smell and like everybody else, I checked , replaced or tightened things in hopes of keeping the smell out. Especially while driving in winding mountain roads. Lately I’ve been using Happy Camper toilet treatment, which is a live enzyme that treats the sewage and I have found that the smell is gone. I put a cap full in the black water and the same in the gray water before a trip and now I’m also treating my tanks post-trip and it seems to work very well. Give it a try and tell me what you think.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewage, smell