Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Why Factory Service?

Ok newbie here. New 3124 owner. I see all these posts about going to the factory and many are driving from far away. Is there a reason? If I need warranty work done, can't I just take my coach to the dealer I bought it from.

Don't get me wrong, someday I would love to tour the factory but it just seems like a lot of people drive an awfully long way to get serviced.
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
Ok newbie here. New 3124 owner. I see all these posts about going to the factory and many are driving from far away. Is there a reason? If I need warranty work done, can't I just take my coach to the dealer I bought it from.

Don't get me wrong, someday I would love to tour the factory but it just seems like a lot of people drive an awfully long way to get serviced.
Don't worry, as soon as you've had your first dealership warranty experience you will have a better understanding.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Don't worry, as soon as you've had your first dealership warranty experience you will have a better understanding.

What does that even mean?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

SWag is right-on! NO one can do this work like the factory guys can. Think about it....with all the sophisticated systems on these rigs....the electronics, mechanicals, construction details.....NO dealer can afford to train his people to be experts in every aspect because these items are always changing. If a dealer sends a tech to school to learn these systems, you need to be sure he sticks around long enough to give you a return on this investment. And if he's any good at it...he walks. (Greener pastures). So the dealer's tech either has to "wing it" or call the component mfr. to learn how to repair the part-this is not the best assurance he'll get it right. Finally....how many assembly guys work at a dealership? Those guys ARE in Nappanee, ready to take care of your every need. They built it and are ready and waiting to take care of anything that went wrong.

Sure its a long drive for most, but why do you think everyone returns to "Mecca" to get their repairs done? If you don't understand now....you WILL after you experience a bit more with your rig.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hogcard, your in luck being from Texas you have a Mobil Tech, Newmar trained and a hard guy to get though because he is the best of other good Mobil Tech Newmar can send to you.
BrooksW is his signature.

CONTACT INFORMATION
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

This will be our first Newmar, but my third coach, all others being Tiffins. I won't say that all dealers are alike so I won't throw them all overboard. What typically happens is you take your coach in for warranty work or repairs and you even have an appointment, but that doesn't matter. The dealer takes your coach in and parks it behind the building. They take a quick look and tell you they have to order parts and it will take 2 weeks. Two weeks later you call them up to see if your coach is ready and they either have not received the parts yet or the factory sent the wrong parts or they need more parts. If you are lucky you get your coach back after 4-6 weeks and your first experience is they did not fix it properly or your batteries are dead because they left everything on and not hooked to shore power. Like I said, all are not the same but I have heard so many stories that all read the same, long delays, poor service, and never going back there again. That said, I take my coaches to factory service centers whenever I can.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
SWag is right-on! NO one can do this work like the factory guys can. Think about it....with all the sophisticated systems on these rigs....the electronics, mechanicals, construction details.....NO dealer can afford to train his people to be experts in every aspect because these items are always changing. If a dealer sends a tech to school to learn these systems, you need to be sure he sticks around long enough to give you a return on this investment. And if he's any good at it...he walks. (Greener pastures). So the dealer's tech either has to "wing it" or call the component mfr. to learn how to repair the part-this is not the best assurance he'll get it right. Finally....how many assembly guys work at a dealership? Those guys ARE in Nappanee, ready to take care of your every need. They built it and are ready and waiting to take care of anything that went wrong.

Sure its a long drive for most, but why do you think everyone returns to "Mecca" to get their repairs done? If you don't understand now....you WILL after you experience a bit more with your rig.
I have always felt the same way, until last month at the SEA Rally. I was talking to Dave Garl from Newmar and asked him point blank if I should bring my Ventana to Nappanee for service. He told me the service department at Independence RV was as good if not better than the factory team. They were trained by Newmar at the factory and could deliver the same quality service as the factory tech's would.

Said it was my choice, but if my devision was to come to the factory due to concerns about quality, he did not think I would be disppointed by Independence
RV service. BTW, we were not within earshot of any Independence RV personnel.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

I chose to go to Nappanee twice . Once for a slight remodel and then a second time to have seats recovered under warranty. However I have a hall of fame local dealer that I would trust with any issue.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Being hopeful future DS owners, I am not in the position to be even remotely knowledgeable about this issue. However, having been on the factory tour last summer and to the Florida RV Supershow the last two years and at last January's show having talked at length with a senior Newmar executive (not that any of this equates to any experience) I can't imagine that any service department is as good as the factory. The executive spoke extremely positively about their dealers, as I would expect, but the factory not only works just on Newmars but builds them. How could any dealer's service department be more experienced? In no way I am meaning to slight a dealer's service department. I am sure Independence RV, North Trail RV and many other service departments are top notch. But I would think going to the factory for service is like going to MD Andersen for cancer treatment (been there, done that with my wife).
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar service works on SOB's at times also and the Newmar Corp sticky top of forum has lists of good and not so good dealers listed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
My dealer was worthless on warranty repairs, so I did find
an independent RV repair shop that was excellent, and
could do any warranty work on any of the coach components.
Obviously could not do chassis work, and a lot of dealers do
not do chassis work either.
Like a lot of things, shop around.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

What I found out, and others are trying to say, until you find someone who is good, Factory Service is you best option.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRL View Post
Being hopeful future DS owners, I am not in the position to be even remotely knowledgeable about this issue. However, having been on the factory tour last summer and to the Florida RV Supershow the last two years and at last January's show having talked at length with a senior Newmar executive (not that any of this equates to any experience) I can't imagine that any service department is as good as the factory. The executive spoke extremely positively about their dealers, as I would expect, but the factory not only works just on Newmars but builds them. How could any dealer's service department be more experienced? In no way I am meaning to slight a dealer's service department. I am sure Independence RV, North Trail RV and many other service departments are top notch. But I would think going to the factory for service is like going to MD Andersen for cancer treatment (been there, done that with my wife).
Well John, the guys building them don't come off the line to repair them. Check out Independence RV service department sometime. They are a Newmar Platinum Service Center and winner of multiple Mahlon Miller awards. I respect your opinion and hope when you purchase your DS you have an opportunity to experience a top notch service department.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post

Seeing your home base is Arkansas, you could always consider taking your coach to NIRVC in Lewisville TX (NE Dallas); they are a Newmar Platinum Service Center meaning the majority of their techs have had training at the factory in Nappanee and have the "get smarts" to service, fix and repair anything as well as do customer requested modifications.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote