Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I happened to see a few cabinet latches around the table. I just found out that my table folds down under the desk. Never been demonstrated or is it in any manual that I received.

Front chairs, wet bay, winterization valve, sound system, external entertainment system, and much more is undocumented.

Also, why does the dash switch say CTSY LIGHT, but, the rear switch say AISLE? They light the same lights.

Thank goodness for this forum, rebel, lug, 007, ecker, RV wizard, Jets, many more, and my geeky determination.

I appreciate this opportunity to rant. I do love this coach. We have had some unusual problems but, the dealer and Newmar have been most accommodating so far.

BTW, Today is the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I happened to see a few cabinet latches around the table. I just found out that my table folds down under the desk. Never been demonstrated or is it in any manual that I received.

Front chairs, wet bay, winterization valve, sound system, external entertainment system, and much more is undocumented.

Also, why does the dash switch say CTSY LIGHT, but, the rear switch say AISLE? They light the same lights.

Thank goodness for this forum, rebel, lug, 007, ecker, RV wizard, Jets, many more, and my geeky determination.

I appreciate this opportunity to rant. I do love this coach. We have had some unusual problems but, the dealer and Newmar have been most accommodating so far.

BTW, Today is the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Java, your sound and entertainment stuff should be well documented in the black bag(s)...

Not sure what happened there...

IRT the wet bay and so forth, sounds like you should've gotten a lil better PDI...

Jeremy at Howard RV was really precise with his PDI, save for the alarm system which was new to him, but the guys at highline in Nappanee NAILED ALL MY QUESTIONS...

Factory delivery for me next time!!

I got ya by 10 years,but we're still the babies of the forum....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I agree w/PDI. I had more questions than could be answered. Newmar customer service line was also wrong or not informed on many items. e.g. rear speaker switches, dealer had no clue, customer service said one for DVD player, one for dash, this forum had right answer. One for one speaker and one for another

By the way, what the heck is that good for, if the speaker above my head is off but, the one above DW is on, I still can hear it. (and there ain't no way it is surround sound.)

re: exernal entertainment system, I have the individual manuals for all the components of the system but, not how it is wired, and how it was designed to be operated.

My lesson is that Factory Delivery is worth whatever it costs, both $ and time. My dealer is Newmar CSI recognized and Platinum. I worked w/the owner directly on ordering and PDI.

Finally, right now watching Notre Dame/USC in native HD on my mid-ship monitor. Thank you IRV2 forum for the advice on this option.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #5

Happy Birthday Scott. Now get that DSDP on the road headed for the south.

Peter
Old 11-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Today is the 10th anniversary of my 29th birthday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! What speaker over your head does not work? The in dash radio? Paul
Old 11-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #7

JJ, would not assume factory PDI is the answer to the PDI/opertational questions. Our factory PDI rep was a great friendly person, however he had little experience on the operation of our coach(not an Essex). I can assure you that not ALL REALLY know the coach! And yes we did spend the full five days.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:11 AM   #8

I can assure you that a Newmar factory PDI is conducted with people that really know the coach. It takes time. A factory delivery orientation takes 5 full days on an Essex and they really want you to stay the whole 5.

Peter
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

While I'm sure there's "some difference" with respect to the level of PDI one would receive in Nappanee, I can not think of a better place to be,in order that one be able to find an answer about something with your coach.
Whatever price point the coach, there's someone in Nappanee with the answer.

Yes, we received better creature comforts like being able to access our coach while in service, but don't think we didn't pay for it.
I spoke with A LOT of folks in the camping area lot there in Nappanee that were not Essex owners and for the most part they were pleased with the reception and treatment they received.

As I've said before, I have no qualms with the service I've received at Howard RV, but where better to go than the manufacturer's own service facility where they make them?

At Howard RV, or any other dealer for that matter, help is a phone call and an overnight part away, whereas in Nappanee I found help to be a golf cart ride from one of the specialized techs away.

Sorry to hijack this thread....
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #10

Sorry to contiue Hijack but:

Our two reasons for factory PDI were one the ATME is a new prouct(with few dealers having any experience with it) and two the factory was closer to us than our selling dealer.

Our plan was spend a month after the PDI, in the area to find all issues/questions. Unfortunetly the delivery was delayed(not Newmar's fault-but a Cummins engine failure issue)and we only spent the five days. The result was other than paint issues a competent dealer could have handled all questions/issues. An example of an item not taken care of during the five day PDI was a loose slide topper-the factory tried to adjust it when it really needed to be replaced due to a weak spring. The one major engineering issue did not show up until 1000 miles later(garage door adjustment)-which after unsuccessful discussions with Newmar we ended up designing our own shim.

Would we do a factory PDI again-probably not if we buying a standard product and a competent dealer was nearby.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Dave,you certainly offer valid points.

I guess the "real" issue is with the apparent "differences" in the PDI process with regard to high line products.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #12

Hey Guys,

We haven't yet ask about factory PDI at RV American in Longmont, Co. We were wondering what the procedure is, and how this could take 5-days??

Ernie
g_essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Ernie, when you do a factory PDi you pay something like $1800 bucks, but you stay there in your coach and work out any issues you find as well as they take all the time YOU need to get you confident with the bells and whistles and basic operation of your new buggy.

While there are dealers that boast this ability, it's just a "reality" that most dealers won't be able to provide that level of PDI.

I do know when you take delivery of a coach at Coachlight in Carthage,MO for instance, they have an 80 site campground right there at the dealership you can stay in.

My PDI at Howard RV was several hours long and other than the security system I felt comfortable with what I got...

Regrettably, MOST of my issues relate to a fan belt and a fan that wouldn't have come off til I left the dealership and started using the coach.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey javajelly if they gave you all the answers, you have been asking us, than you may have never had the pleasure of our company.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote