Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Wife fell in love with a new coach but it has something I don't want

It is a Ventana 3847 le and has a Full wall slide I am not a engineer but I do not see how this can be a good thing moving a wall with that much weight maybe if I could see the mechanics of it I would not be as concerned.I did drive it and I could not believe how good it drove the comfort steer was amazing.I also drove a 3433 Ventana and it did not drive as good as the 3847.So I have 2 problems I almost always give into my wife so I guess I will get the 3847 Problem #2 is they want give me anything on trade so I have to try and sell a 2 year old Canyon Star with less than 4000 miles what is the best approach to sell a used coach?
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
It is a Ventana 3847 le and has a Full wall slide I am not a engineer but I do not see how this can be a good thing moving a wall with that much weight maybe if I could see the mechanics of it I would not be as concerned.I did drive it and I could not believe how good it drove the comfort steer was amazing.I also drove a 3433 Ventana and it did not drive as good as the 3847.So I have 2 problems I almost always give into my wife so I guess I will get the 3847 Problem #2 is they want give me anything on trade so I have to try and sell a 2 year old Canyon Star with less than 4000 miles what is the best approach to sell a used coach?
I would not be overly concerned about the FWS. IMO, Newmar's slide-out mechanism has proven very reliable and sturdy. I say this without any knowledge of them changing to a "newer" design. If they have gone to that POC made by SchwinTek, don't buy one.

I don't understand your comment about trade-in. Are you saying a Newmar dealer won't give you anything for a 2YO Canyon Star?

To answer your other question, there is a free classified ad section here on iRV2.com so we won't post items for sale in the forums.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want to find out about the FWS's you need to read the Hoot's threads I believe 4 have them and as long as coach is leveled they do not have problems.
Full wall slides may have two to three motors dependant on size.

CLASSIFIED ADDS IRV2.

Good luck all around.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

The dealer will price the new coach at list price when I said I might trade, if I don't trade he discounts the new coach $40,000.So my choice is to buy the new one for $189,000 or give him my coach and $170,000 NADA on my 2011 Canyon Star 3642 was $110,000.A Tiffin Dealer told me he would take my coach and $110,000 for his 38 foot Red.I don't have to do anything right now my Canyon Star is a great coach I just would like to upgrade to a diesel and have it paid for before I retire
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #5

I have the same issue, with the wife that is. She wants the bath and a half and I lean somewhat to the 3634. We have been studying the Tiffin RED in the same sizes and are having difficulty in coming to a decision which coach will be the better choice. I also loved the comfort drive on the Newmar, but the RED seems more open in its layout, at least on the 36.. Part of the problem is that no one in our area has the 3847 to really get a handle on the true feel of the layout. Hoping for any advice in coming to a decision.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The dealer will price the new coach at list price when I said I might trade, if I don't trade he discounts the new coach $40,000.So my choice is to buy the new one for $189,000 or give him my coach and $170,000 NADA on my 2011 Canyon Star 3642 was $110,000.A Tiffin Dealer told me he would take my coach and $110,000 for his 38 foot Red.I don't have to do anything right now my Canyon Star is a great coach I just would like to upgrade to a diesel and have it paid for before I retire
I think I would shop around for a new dealer.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Rodney - you didn't mention who the dealer is, any reason? IMHO both builders are very reputable, and again IMHO I think Newmar makes a superior coach (Tiffin owners please don't pounce on me). Tiffin does stand behind their coaches very well. I'm not sure if you'll ever get a Newmar dealer to match price point with a Tiffin dealer, but I would sure use what they told you as a negotiating tool and maybe work with you some more on the price.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It very likely comes with something else you won't like.... PAYMENTS.

There is a "Trick" to making a full wall slide work properly...

You put enough supports (Rollers) under it and you use enough motor with the proper gearing on the transmission. Or enough hydraulics if it's hudraulically powered. The nice thing about hydrauilcs is you can use a larger cylinder to push/pull and .. Well, with a big enough cylinder that standard pump could slide not only the fully wall.. . but the FULL MOTOR HOME and yes I mean sideways .. There is no limit.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
It is a Ventana 3847 le and has a Full wall slide I am not a engineer but I do not see how this can be a good thing moving a wall with that much weight. . .
I understand Newmar was the first RV manufacturer to invent slide outs..... So I wouldn't worry, they know what they are doing most of the time. :-)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rodneykrantz,
Take the FWS off your list of things to worry about. Newmar did invent the slide out over 20 years ago. Newmar did not jump on the FWS bandwagon, at first. They took their time and got it right.

As to the trade, can you come to the Tampa RV Super Show January 15-19? Everyone needs an excuse to come to Florida in mid-January. At this show will be North Trail RV and maybe one additional Newmar dealer. There should be 40-50 Newmar coaches on display. All the Newmar execs will be there. If you go, ask for Diesel Dan Cutting. He sells more Newmar coaches than anyone in the country. They sell most of the show inventory, at the show. You'll have a good time and talking to another dealer will provide a good benchmark on where you are with the trade question.

There will be 120+ Newmar owners there at a NKK rally. This means you can take a breather from spending $s and hang out with Newmar owners.

Lastly, there are several hundred after market vendors they who have things you didn't know you needed until you saw it. This is my favorite part of the show.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I think I would shop around for a new dealer.
New dealer, for sure!

Since you know what coach you want, why not get the "options sheet" for the VT LE and spec out just what you want, then shop around for the best deal on an ordered coach. You can even pay extra and pick it up at the factory, so the PDI quality at the dealer isn't an issue.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote