Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4
wifi ranger upgrade

We have a 2019 Baystar. Wondering if others have upgraded wifi ranger. I would prefer to not put more holes in the roof for wires or new systems. Also, we have Verizon as our cell provider.
What has worked best for others?
Any suggestions?
Bermsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
BayRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermsrv View Post
We have a 2019 Baystar. Wondering if others have upgraded wifi ranger. I would prefer to not put more holes in the roof for wires or new systems. Also, we have Verizon as our cell provider.
What has worked best for others?
Any suggestions?
Which WIFI Ranger do you have? There are 3 models. The entry level Teton is only a WiFi booster, the mid level Denali which includes a cellular modem and the highest one, the Everest which can have 2 cellular modems. What is it you wish to upgrade. My coach had the Denali with the LTE modem. I use AT&T and just ordered a SIM card and installed it in the WIFI Ranger. Had to cut the seal around the Ranger, unscrew the top cover in order to insert the SIM card. Once verified all worked as expected, simply sealed the seam around the Ranger cover. Didnít have to mess with any seal on the roof, only the cover of the WIFI Ranger.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
Rocky Mountain High
 
Dennis C.'s Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 218
You don’t have to use an external antenna with all of the WiFi Ranger products. Your performance will obviously be better with an external antenna, but it can still be quite good without it.

I purchased a WiFi Ranger Aspen with a Category 12 LTE modem and installed it in my Airstream trailer earlier this year. It works great, even without an external antenna. I will transfer this unit to my Newmar Ventana when I get a chance.
__________________
Dennis
Dennis C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GUS2000's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 482
we upgraded our WiFiRanger to the trash can and installed a Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G

these should be offered when you special order. .much more reliable
__________________
GUS2000
2021 Newmar Superstar 4051/Blue Ox Apollo
2017 Ford Explorer/2018 Ford SuperDuty/M&G Braking System
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4
Reply

Thanks for the feedback.
We have a sky pro on the outside. Ranger support says it cannot be updated. I seem to get mixed messages from Ranger support. They tell me two separate routers external and internal. External is 2ghz (longer ranger but slower) Internal both 2ghz and 5ghz. I have been unable to connect to the control panel for time now. I am tired of messing with the WiFi ranger and am inclined to switch.
I am curious the Pepwave router. Are you using an external antenna or router?
Bermsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4
We have the Sky Pro external
Bermsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 4
Reply

Thanks for the feedback.
We have a sky pro on the outside. Ranger support says it cannot be updated. I seem to get mixed messages from Ranger support. They tell me two separate routers external and internal. External is 2ghz (longer ranger but slower) Internal both 2ghz and 5ghz. I have been unable to connect to the control panel for time now. I am tired of messing with the WiFi ranger and am inclined to switch.
I am curious the Pepwave router. Are you using an external antenna or router?
Bermsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermsrv View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
We have a sky pro on the outside. Ranger support says it cannot be updated. I seem to get mixed messages from Ranger support. They tell me two separate routers external and internal. External is 2ghz (longer ranger but slower) Internal both 2ghz and 5ghz. I have been unable to connect to the control panel for time now. I am tired of messing with the WiFi ranger and am inclined to switch.
I am curious the Pepwave router. Are you using an external antenna or router?
Let me try to clarify things.

All WiFiRanger products are complete, self-contained routers. There are no rooftop antennas. Systems can be configured with a single router inside the RV or on the roof, or with a pair of routers one inside and one outside. There are advantages and disadvantages to each configuration.

Your SkyPro on the roof is a typical configuration found in lots of new RVs. It is a 2.4 GHz WiFi device which may or may not have an integrated LTE modem. If I knew its 6-digit ID number I could tell you if it has a modem.

Using 2.4 GHz WiFi does NOT necessarily mean that it will be slower than if you were using 5.8 GHz WiFi. That is a misunderstanding. The 5.8 GHz band has greater bandwidth and higher maximum speed capability but that does NOT mean that in any particular situation your actual speed will be better than if you were using 2.4 GHz.

As for how you can upgrade your existing SkyPro, since you don't have an indoor router, you could elect to just replace the rooftop device or to ALSO run a cable from the roof to inside the RV.

If you are Ok with continuing to have just a rooftop device then I would suggest that an Everest router would be an excellent choice for an upgrade. It has both 2.4 and 5/8 GHz radios and it can support up to two integrated LTE modems, one of which could be a Category 12 device.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, feel free to post questions or PM them to me.
__________________
Joel (AKA docj)--
RV Technology Specialist
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
Rocky Mountain High
 
Dennis C.'s Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 218
Good clarification. Thanks.
__________________
Dennis
Dennis C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BayRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Let me try to clarify things.

All WiFiRanger products are complete, self-contained routers. There are no rooftop antennas. Systems can be configured with a single router inside the RV or on the roof, or with a pair of routers one inside and one outside. There are advantages and disadvantages to each configuration.

Your SkyPro on the roof is a typical configuration found in lots of new RVs. It is a 2.4 GHz WiFi device which may or may not have an integrated LTE modem. If I knew its 6-digit ID number I could tell you if it has a modem.

Using 2.4 GHz WiFi does NOT necessarily mean that it will be slower than if you were using 5.8 GHz WiFi. That is a misunderstanding. The 5.8 GHz band has greater bandwidth and higher maximum speed capability but that does NOT mean that in any particular situation your actual speed will be better than if you were using 2.4 GHz.

As for how you can upgrade your existing SkyPro, since you don't have an indoor router, you could elect to just replace the rooftop device or to ALSO run a cable from the roof to inside the RV.

If you are Ok with continuing to have just a rooftop device then I would suggest that an Everest router would be an excellent choice for an upgrade. It has both 2.4 and 5/8 GHz radios and it can support up to two integrated LTE modems, one of which could be a Category 12 device.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, feel free to post questions or PM them to me.
You are correct about the 2.4 and 5.8 bands. The 2.4 ghz is not necessarily slower.

However the comment on the SKyPro is not completely accurate. The SkyPro is a discontinued item and not offered on new RVs. If it is, then the manufacture is simply trying to deplete old inventory stock. The SkyPro was replaced with the new WIFIRanger ďenclosedĒ outdoor routers (Talon, Denali, and Everest).

As others have mention, you can have the external router on the roof and an internal router inside the RV. If you combine them they are connected with an Ethernet cable. The 2 routers are then paired together to work as one through the control panel. My unit has the Denali with LTE on the roof paired with the internal spruce router.

I will admit that the control panel and configuration can be a bit intimidating to a non technical person. However being a techie, it was second nature to me. Once you have it all configured, it fairly rock solid. I have full time internet access to my coach and monitor my Victrons Cerbo GX system and a custom monitoring system for GPS tracking, temperature and power loss. The WIFIRanger has not lost access since configuration.

BTW, if you donít feel like messing with or upgrading the roof top router. You can simply work with an internal router with LTE. The signal difference inside should be minimal difference from an outside one. This would be a much simpler approach.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
GW4607's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermsrv View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
We have a sky pro on the outside. Ranger support says it cannot be updated. I seem to get mixed messages from Ranger support. They tell me two separate routers external and internal. External is 2ghz (longer ranger but slower) Internal both 2ghz and 5ghz. I have been unable to connect to the control panel for time now. I am tired of messing with the WiFi ranger and am inclined to switch.
I am curious the Pepwave router. Are you using an external antenna or router?
We discontinued use of our WIFIRANGER and went with the Pepwave router. The Ranger was just too frustrating to try to connect. The Ranger seemed to never function when we needed to use computer for work or stream Netflix.

We went with Internet On The Go. The use a Pepwave router and a SIM card with either Version or T-Mobile. We actually selected the two SIM card router and have both cellular carriers. In the 12 months of use there have been two occasions that we did not have strong enough signal to stream Netflix. Nor have we come close to running our data plan to zero.

There is nothing on the roof tied to the Pepwave. It functions just like at our house. We have a router that sets in the bedroom and all of our TVís, phones, computers, laptops, Garmin navigation and printers automatically connect. Coverage typically will extend a site or two in any direction.

Itís a little pricey, but when the wife needs to connect for work or do internet shopping itís priceless.
__________________
Gary and Dayna
Edmond, Oklahoma
2021 DSDP 4369 Freightliner
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,241
No intention on hijacking the thread, but I too am looking to upgrade and perhaps answers to my questions below will help the discussion.

After 5 years, my WiFi Ranger Core finally died (fried). I also have the Sky Pro on the roof. Iím looking for a replacement capability. Due to security issues (real or perceived) I prefer to go with a product other than Wifi Ranger. I have used the Sky Pro capability to pull in CG or S&B WiFi signals to provide internet to the coach. I also have configured the Wifi Ranger to use a Verizon MiFi 8800L Wifi signal. I donít USB tether the MiFi.

Iíve been looking at the Peplink Max BR1 and the Surf SOHO. It would appears that the SOHO provides me with needed capabilities with the exception of a POE port to continue using the Sky Pro, but an external POE injector should work just fine.

Any reason the I should be considering the BR1 instead? It has an embedded cellular modem but not really sure there is a benefit there as I can use the MiFiís WiFi or USB tether it.
__________________
2018 Newmar Mountain Aire 4531
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post

However the comment on the SKyPro is not completely accurate. The SkyPro is a discontinued item and not offered on new RVs. If it is, then the manufacture is simply trying to deplete old inventory stock. The SkyPro was replaced with the new WIFIRanger ďenclosedĒ outdoor routers (Talon, Denali, and Everest).
With all due respect, I do work for WiFiRanger and have access to our OEM catalog as well as the retail one. Although the SkyPro is not currently for sale, the SkyProLTE was being delivered on new RVs as recently as a year or so ago. Furthermore, the similar Sky4 router is still being installed on some RVs.

You should not make the assumption that all RV manufacturers changed to the Converge series (Teton, Denali, Everest). The RV marketplace encompasses a rather large range of prices. What makes sense for a $500k motorhome doesn't necessarily make sense for a $15k travel trailer.
__________________
Joel (AKA docj)--
RV Technology Specialist
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
BayRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With all due respect, I do work for WiFiRanger and have access to our OEM catalog as well as the retail one. Although the SkyPro is not currently for sale, the SkyProLTE was being delivered on new RVs as recently as a year or so ago. Furthermore, the similar Sky4 router is still being installed on some RVs.

You should not make the assumption that all RV manufacturers changed to the Converge series (Teton, Denali, Everest). The RV marketplace encompasses a rather large range of prices. What makes sense for a $500k motorhome doesn't necessarily make sense for a $15k travel trailer.
Easy Brother, didnít mean to ruffle your feathers. While I donít work for WIFI Ranger, I do work for the industry. I have not seen a SkyPro come in a new unit for some time now, plus as you said itís not currently offered for sale and every indication Iíve seen it as discontinued. Granted, itís not an item that I participial have been looking for but was speaking with reference to my experience and what I have seen in current units and vendor offerings. If youíre still offering it to manufacturers, then good for you for expanding your revenue stream. BTW, not knocking your products for I think you make some good stuff and have gotten quite used to using them.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade, wifi



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi Ranger upgrade option sstewart Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 2 04-13-2020 06:51 AM
Rooftop Wifi booster -- WiFi Ranger or Winegard? manowell Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 28 12-22-2018 06:55 PM
WiFi Ranger Announces WiFi Ranger Upgrades SafeSurf VPN System DriVer RV Industry Press 0 12-07-2018 03:44 PM
WiFi Ranger vs PDQ Connect vs Wave WiFi specmga1 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 02-22-2016 06:26 AM
WiFi Ranger and jetpack wifi somerka Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 18 02-16-2016 02:35 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.