Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2023, 03:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Will my 2004 Newmar DS be able to take uphill in Rockies

We Just started full timing. However, we have never been to the Rockies at least in the mountains with a motorhome. We are planning to spend most of the Summer, from March to August before heading to PA. Ample time to screw up! We are driving a 2004 Newmar DS Mountain Master with a ILS 370 HP engine, at gross weight pulling a 4,500 pick up using a road master braking system.

While trying to use RV Trip Wizard for panning, our first few legs into the Rockies north of Santa Fe, also funding the elevation feature for the first time, I noticed RED 7% grades. I've never paid attention to grades in the Applanation Mountains because I assumed they were minor at least compared to the Rockies. Having traveled, 3 or 4 times on I77 both north and south through VA and WV without problems I had no experience using grades. I looked up a past I77 trip and found plenty of RED 7% grades. Shocking! Dare I assume I can expect the same in the Rockies as I77, I doubt it,

So, the question is, in general, what am I to look out for and what should I be using to plan? I might not know how to use the Grades feature on Trip Wizard but I don't have a good feel for the length of the grade, at least so far. I would prefer to see the information on a close-up contour map combined with a satellite image, if such exist. Am I being too paranoid?

Thinking about it now, I'm not controvertible with my questions or knowing what to ask? Correct questions with answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
jhambrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #2

I’ve driven quite a bit in the mountains (I live at 8,000 feet of elevation) in both my Newmar Class A and towing my Airstream. 7% grades are not uncommon around Colorado, and there are steeper grades in some places. I don’t think you’ll hit anything steeper than 7% on interstate highways, but you’ll find some 8% or even 9% grades in selected places like US-550 between Silverton and Ouray. I use a GPS made by Garmin specifically for RVs and it does a great job of routing big rigs, warning of steep grades, sharp curves, etc. The system allows you to enter the detailed specifications for your RV including weight, height, length, etc. so that it won’t send you on a route that you can’t travel.

The biggest concern when driving a big RV in the mountains is descending the mountain rather than ascending it, in my opinion. It’s important to keep your speed under control using your engine brake combined with judicious “stab braking” of your service brakes. You want to be mindful not to ride the brakes which can cause overheating, glazing, and ultimately brake failure. The other concern is weather. At high altitudes in the summer, it rains almost every afternoon. Slick roads aren’t fun when driving a 30,000+ lb. rig down a steep hill. Finally, you want to be aware of your route and anything that might be potentially stressful for an RV. For example, there’s a stretch of road on Interstate 70 between Dillon, CO and the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial Tunnels called “The Ike Gauntlet”. It’s a 9 mile stretch of road at a 7% grade. It can be a test for any RV, going up or going down. You’ll want to be prepared so you don’t hit something like that by surprise.

If you’re careful, mindful of road conditions, and you plan your route then you’ll be fine in the Rockies.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:08 PM   #3

As full-timers we traveled the Rockies just about every summer. Our '04 370 Dutch Star did just fine, including the Red Mtn. Hwy between Silverton and Ouray - a favorite of ours.

We never relied on any GPS or mapping program for planning. We just used it enroute. One help you might want to get is the 'Mountain Directory West for Truckers & RVers'. (It comes in an eastern version, also.) That was our Bible. We were able to read all about the highway so there were no surprises as we drove it. Even though we drove the same highways over the years we always referred to it to refresh our minds of what's ahead.

As stated, 6-7% isn't a biggie. That's just a normal mountain road. 8% are out there, also.

Just have more concern for your downhills. Get into low gear at the top; not in the midst. Your engine brake is awesome. You'll just have to tap your brakes occasionally with it.

You'll be just fine. You'll see older and less powerful RVs out there with you. Enjoy your new lifestyle!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
I’ve driven quite a bit in the mountains (I live at 8,000 feet of elevation) in both my Newmar Class A and towing my Airstream. 7% grades are not uncommon around Colorado, and there are steeper grades in some places. I don’t think you’ll hit anything steeper than 7% on interstate highways, but you’ll find some 8% or even 9% grades in selected places like US-550 between Silverton and Ouray. I use a GPS made by Garmin specifically for RVs and it does a great job of routing big rigs, warning of steep grades, sharp curves, etc. The system allows you to enter the detailed specifications for your RV including weight, height, length, etc. so that it won’t send you on a route that you can’t travel.

The biggest concern when driving a big RV in the mountains is descending the mountain rather than ascending it, in my opinion. It’s important to keep your speed under control using your engine brake combined with judicious “stab braking” of your service brakes. You want to be mindful not to ride the brakes which can cause overheating, glazing, and ultimately brake failure. The other concern is weather. At high altitudes in the summer, it rains almost every afternoon. Slick roads aren’t fun when driving a 30,000+ lb. rig down a steep hill. Finally, you want to be aware of your route and anything that might be potentially stressful for an RV. For example, there’s a stretch of road on Interstate 70 between Dillon, CO and the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial Tunnels called “The Ike Gauntlet”. It’s a 9 mile stretch of road at a 7% grade. It can be a test for any RV, going up or going down. You’ll want to be prepared so you don’t hit something like that by surprise.

If you’re careful, mindful of road conditions, and you plan your route then you’ll be fine in the Rockies.
Much appreciated Dennis. I am a newbie and while we hit a couple of 7% grades as we have gone westward from Texas and some in our previous trip to Tennessee, we have not tackled Colorado yet, though we intend to. Your viewpoint and information are helpful, so thanks!
TravisNTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:59 AM   #5

Climbs in the Smokies are not as long as in the Rockies but often just as steep or steeper.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As full-timers we traveled the Rockies just about every summer. Our '04 370 Dutch Star did just fine, including the Red Mtn. Hwy between Silverton and Ouray - a favorite of ours.

We never relied on any GPS or mapping program for planning. We just used it enroute. One help you might want to get is the 'Mountain Directory West for Truckers & RVers'. (It comes in an eastern version, also.) That was our Bible. We were able to read all about the highway so there were no surprises as we drove it. Even though we drove the same highways over the years we always referred to it to refresh our minds of what's ahead.

As stated, 6-7% isn't a biggie. That's just a normal mountain road. 8% are out there, also.

Just have more concern for your downhills. Get into low gear at the top; not in the midst. Your engine brake is awesome. You'll just have to tap your brakes occasionally with it.

You'll be just fine. You'll see older and less powerful RVs out there with you. Enjoy your new lifestyle!
Red Mountain Pass is definitely gorgeous. We also love that drive and that area. we typically setup camp near Ouray and use it as our base for hiking, fly fishing, visiting the hot springs, etc.

I agree with you on 7% grades in the Rockies of Colorado or New Mexico. They’re no big deal. Personally, I tend to watch the weather carefully when driving an RV and adjust my plans accordingly. For example, I drove our Ventana from Tucson to Denver last November. There was an early season snow storm north of Albuquerque as I got into that area. I decided to spend two nights in Raton, NM rather than taking Raton Pass (6% - 7% grades) in snowy conditions. I let the storm pass and the roads clear before heading that way. Interstate 25 has a camera system, like many Interstate highways so that you can check conditions visually before hitting the road.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:03 AM   #7

Make sure the radiator and cac is clean to help avoid overheating. And keep an eye on the temp gauge when pulling grades, keep rpm’s near 2000 for better cooling. Slow and easy on downhill using engine brake and lower gear to maintain speed without riding brakes.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Wow, Thanks for the information. I had a feeling I was not asking the correct questions. I was a trained pilot, so planning is my MO. Your great answers indicate that a little more research is in order. Thanks for the weather tip from Dennis C - I never gave it enough thought. Like rain in the afternoon and wet roads going downhill. Need to check out the new Garmin.

twogypsies, I'll look into the 'Mountain Directory West for Truckers & RVers'

Keep the tips coming.

Just thought, I can't be the only one that has asked this question. Does anyone have any links to review?

Sorry, I have not figured out how to use the search feature here. I seem to get too many threads that have nothing to do with the question.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Climbs in the Smokies are not as long as in the Rockies but often just as steep or steeper.
Agree with Onyrlef. Also speaking about weather in the mountains I like an app called Drive Weather to provide insight into weather along my planned route as weather in the mountains can change a lot in a 4-5 hr drive. It's free for basic functionality and for a one time nominal fee ($20?) provides info on wind speed plus extended outlook 3-5 days.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #10

What is the torque on your engine?

2005 Mountain Aire 4032 here. ISL 400 hp/1,250 torque. I weigh in at 33,000 lbs fully loaded and pull a 5,300 lb Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Went out west with a group last fall. The only problems I had was when I got trapped behind a semi.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
What is the torque on your engine?

2005 Mountain Aire 4032 here. ISL 400 hp/1,250 torque. I weigh in at 33,000 lbs fully loaded and pull a 5,300 lb Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Went out west with a group last fall. The only problems I had was when I got trapped behind a semi.
Book said I get 1200 Lbs of Torque.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'll check it out, thank you
Old 01-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhambrick View Post
You should not have any problems.

I did install a ScanGaugeD before the trip so I could monitor boost pressure and air intake temps. It also allowed me to check the accuracy of the dash gauges.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhambrick View Post
That’s plenty. My coach weighs a little over 32,000 lbs, has 360 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque and I have no problem getting up the hill.

Tags
newmar