Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Will the New Aire replace the sub 40 foot Dutch Star models?

In reading the threads about the New Aire listening to the pros and cons, it came to me that the Dutch Star models under 40feet (non tag) may becoming obsolete in future years. After all all models above DS don't offer non tag models. What are your thoughts?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

I doubt it, price points are much different. The New Aire is equipped more like the Mountain Aire but much smaller and expensive for it's size. I think they are targeting a different crowd. What do you think?
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
I doubt it, price points are much different. The New Aire is equipped more like the Mountain Aire but much smaller and expensive for it's size. I think they are targeting a different crowd. What do you think?

When looking at the two sub 40 DS and the NW, the base pricing is virtually the same, plus or minus $1,000. I think we will see the NA in the 37 foot range as soon as 2019. I agree that they are targeting a different market , but if price was the same between a DS and a LA I would take the LA. It will be interesting to see it all play out.[ATTACH][ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2449.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	175809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2448.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	175810  

Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

I think the marketing effort for the New Aire is fogging reality.

In essence the New Aire is a 33' Mountain Aire. In my mind this is all about the conversion to automated, all electric coaches. Rather than work their way down the length offerings they decided to start with the smallest and work their way up.

I like what I see so far. My only concern is weight. For a 33' foot coach the New Aire is a little "porky" with a UVW of 31,020.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

It's interesting for sure, a non tag was never a consideration before ordering the DS 4369 for me. and if it was a consideration the queen bed would have been a deal breaker in all 4 of the for mentioned units. I guess what I'm saying is if I was in the 30 something foot range why wouldn't I go for the NA, it being more of a "high line"unit.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

Personally, the DW and I believe the New Aire 33 footer is an acceptable motorhome design that as seniors we prefer, with a few exceptions. Although the overall height is acceptable, we prefer to see maybe a 36’ or 37’ with king size bed and 1 and 1/2 bath . With the newer automatic transmissions being designed to aid smaller hp diesel engines to perform like the larger hp engines, I would like to see the fuel tank enlarged to 100 or 125 gallons. Overall, the New Aire model 33 is a great starting point .
TravelnFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelnFolks View Post
Personally, the DW and I believe the New Aire 33 footer is an acceptable motorhome design that as seniors we prefer, with a few exceptions. Although the overall height is acceptable, we prefer to see maybe a 36’ or 37’ with king size bed and 1 and 1/2 bath . With the newer automatic transmissions being designed to aid smaller hp diesel engines to perform like the larger hp engines, I would like to see the fuel tank enlarged to 100 or 125 gallons. Overall, the New Aire model 33 is a great starting point .

I agree with your points , especially the king bed and fuel capacity. I would guess that the NW will enjoy a 20% or better fuel economy increase over the small DS. So maybe the 75 gal tank is the equivalent of a 90 gal tank on the DS, but doesn't take in to consideration heating and generator consumption, this could result in a not so comfortable feeling for those camp sites more off the beaten path that you show up with less then a full tank to dry camp.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You never know, but I still think there will be a market for the shorter Dutch Stars because guys like me will not buy a coach with an ISB.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
In reading the threads about the New Aire listening to the pros and cons, it came to me that the Dutch Star models under 40feet (non tag) may becoming obsolete in future years. After all all models above DS don't offer non tag models. What are your thoughts?
Just found out that to date 90 New Aires have been delivered or ordered. The market speaks. Based on the unit numbers somewhere around 15 have been produced.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Just found out that to date 90 New Aires have been delivered or ordered. The market speaks. Based on the unit numbers somewhere around 15 have been produced.
i tend to think that more than 15 have been produced....thats just my guess....but when i was at the factory in mid august and did the tour, 3 of them were coming off the line and there were at least 3 or 4 in the gravel lot...plus what was already on dealer lots or in transit...bet 20-25 have been built....

just a guess...doesn't really matter

in 5 or 6 yrs, when my kids are gone, i would consider a new aire....but like has already been mentioned, i need more fuel, more engine, and a king bed, no exceptions....

36-37 footer would be real nice....bath and a half would be a plus, but not needed at that point....rear bath would be just fine.....

i can't see us in a 33-34 footer (or smaller) until we are much older (i'm 48).....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i tend to think that more than 15 have been produced....thats just my guess....but when i was at the factory in mid august and did the tour, 3 of them were coming off the line and there were at least 3 or 4 in the gravel lot...plus what was already on dealer lots or in transit...bet 20-25 have been built....

Well, if the unit numbers are sequential there are 15. My coach is in production with unit number 710215. One of the first New Aire's posted on the internet by a dealer several months ago was 710202.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

I talked to a dealer that bought the dealer show NA, but wasn't getting it for quite some time due to more testing ( I think he said seat belt and some other certification)that needed to be completed prior to retail shipment. He finally passed and ordered another unit. I think this is a contributing factor on the slow release and production start. I'm sure we will start to see quite a few more now
Old 09-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #13

A New Aire is not in anyway a Mountain Aire or for that matter any other coach. It is completely different animal, it does not have the engine or chassis of a DutchStar or Mountain Aire. It does however, have more cool electronic gadgets and accessories than a DutchStar and Mountain Aire's have. I don't believe it will have much effect on the market for 37 foot DutchStar's at least unless they increase the length a few feet.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaum View Post
A New Aire is not in anyway a Mountain Aire or for that matter any other coach. It is completely different animal, it does not have the engine or chassis of a DutchStar or Mountain Aire. It does however, have more cool electronic gadgets and accessories than a DutchStar and Mountain Aire's have. I don't believe it will have much effect on the market for 37 foot DutchStar's at least unless they increase the length a few feet.
I was actually thinking about this very question today while I was bored at work. I began to think about how nice the NW is however I wouldn't trade it for my 2017 3724 because the length and chassis of the NW. I then began to wonder who the NW appeals to and those it does I can't argue with, however just not right now is it me. Although, in future years with the the upgrades the NW has versus the DS I could see myself buying my last Newmar coach in a few years with a longer frame and same engine if they decision is made by Newmar. With no offense to my fellow owners but a tag axle coach is really not something I'm interested in, the question is am I in the minority or will Newmar consider this in future years and floor plans with NW. Safe travels guys, and God speed to all those in Irmas way...
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, dutch star, replace