Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #1

Wimpy cold water in shower only

I have been trying to get answers about the cold water only in our shower. Everywhere else in our 2017 DutchStar is fine. Filter has been changed many times, cartridge has been replaced inside the shower, shore water and tank water flow is the same. When the water is turned all of the way to hot, the pressure is great and as I turn to cold the pressure continues to drop to pitiful. What else can I try? It hasn't always been this way. It seemed to change when we were boondocking and we had a water truck fill up our fresh water.
tigrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #2

When you were boondocking , did you use the outside shower ?

If so , are those taps fully off ?
Flow is not usually the issue; if outside taps are on and that shower head is off; temp can be effected , but worth a shot.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrlady View Post
I have been trying to get answers about the cold water only in our shower. Everywhere else in our 2017 DutchStar is fine. Filter has been changed many times, cartridge has been replaced inside the shower, shore water and tank water flow is the same. When the water is turned all of the way to hot, the pressure is great and as I turn to cold the pressure continues to drop to pitiful. What else can I try? It hasn't always been this way. It seemed to change when we were boondocking and we had a water truck fill up our fresh water.
If I understand this correctly, hot water temperature and pressure is fine everywhere in the coach except in the shower. This symptom eliminates the possibility that the outside faucets in the wet bay were left open as that would cause reduced hot water temperature thorough out the coach.

What is unclear is your description of the shower. You state, "When the water is turned all of the way to hot, the pressure is great and as I turn to cold the pressure continues to drop to pitiful." So, is the water hot when you turn it fully on to "hot"? Does the water temperature drop and flow drop as you move the handle toward "cold?"

If that is what is happening, the problem is most likely in the mixing valve of the shower. Could be something as simple as an O-ring. Investigate the mixing valve you have and see how it can be serviced, or post it here and someone with the same valve can comment.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was just discussing this with a 2018 DS owner. He was having similar issues and found there are two adjustable screws on the mixing vale, one for hot and one for cold. They both came lose and need to be adjusted. He then added some nail polish to the threads to keep it from happening again.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I was just discussing this with a 2018 DS owner. He was having similar issues and found there are two adjustable screws on the mixing vale, one for hot and one for cold. They both came lose and need to be adjusted. He then added some nail polish to the threads to keep it from happening again.
I believe the cartridge I replaced included the mixing valve?
I will post a picture in the morning.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
I believe the cartridge I replaced included the mixing valve?
I will post a picture in the morning.
The cartridge is separate but when I had it apart i did check those screws and thought they were tight. I will check again to be sure.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If I have to take off the cover plate again to get to this I will but I hate caulk. I do want to try and post a video to show you what I am dealing with but it looks like it is not allowed. Maybe I can change the MP4 to and MP3 and post.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
shower issue

I believe this will show a giph of the issue. It begins with the handle all the way to Hot, as she moves it to Cold you see the pressure decrease. Then the pressure surges as it moves back to Hot.

https://media.giphy.com/media/o4vVRU...MAIq/giphy.gif
raskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskul View Post
I believe this will show a giph of the issue. It begins with the handle all the way to Hot, as she moves it to Cold you see the pressure decrease. Then the pressure surges as it moves back to Hot.

https://media.giphy.com/media/o4vVRU...MAIq/giphy.gif
Does this giphy help anyone understand what I am dealing with?
Old 05-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Too small to see anything other than someone turning a valve.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #11

I agree that you need to check the screws. They probably need to be removed and cleaned. They tend to collect calcium deposits and this greatly decreases the water flow. There is a small spring behind the screw, so be careful when you remove them. This should take care of your issue, since changing the valve didn’t fix it.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #12

Wimpy cold water in shower only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado13 View Post
I agree that you need to check the screws. They probably need to be removed and cleaned. They tend to collect calcium deposits and this greatly decreases the water flow. There is a small spring behind the screw, so be careful when you remove them. This should take care of your issue, since changing the valve didn’t fix it.

I soaked mine for a short time in CLR with good results.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
I was able to enlarge the gif and could see the change in water flow as the handle was turned, so yes, it does help understanding of your issue but it is difficult to actually see the water flow against the right side wall.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #14

I had a similar problem several years ago. On my 2016 4369, the problem wasn’t the cartridge, but the stop that needed to be cleaned. Refer to post 7 in the following thread.

Shower valve for 2016 DSDP
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/shower-valve-for-2016-dsdp-470478.html#post5055107
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, water