Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

Wind. Noise

I purchased a 2020 dutchstar 4081 last fall, have about 6000 miles on coach, for the most part everything is working fine, the one thing that bothers me is wind noise coming from door area , the door seems to be adjusted correctly from factory, very easy to shut and latch, no slamming necessary, when it’s windy while driving the noise seems to get worse, I was thinking could this buffeting noise be caused by the rear view mirror? I even thought of applying a one inch piece of aluminum running the height of door placing it in front of door hinge shaped like a piece of angle iron to deflect the wind out and around the hinge area of door, any thoughts ? Probably something I will have to live with
Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Are you closing it to the second latch position while driving?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

My guess is there is an area that the seal is not touching both the door and the frame. You could put some wide masking tape on the outside in about 2 or 3' lengths until yo find the area where the noise is coming from, but then you would probably have to leave someone behind.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are two latch positions. You have to slam it for driving.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #5

We have the same coach; same problem. NIRVC in Vegas added some additional seal tape; but it didn’t really help.

Following....
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

You are likely not slamming the door for travel. Try it.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #7

Wind noise

Thank you all, I will slam door hard next time I’m out, see if that’s the problem
Treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelog View Post
I purchased a 2020 dutchstar 4081 last fall, have about 6000 miles on coach, for the most part everything is working fine, the one thing that bothers me is wind noise coming from door area , the door seems to be adjusted correctly from factory, very easy to shut and latch, no slamming necessary, when it’s windy while driving the noise seems to get worse, I was thinking could this buffeting noise be caused by the rear view mirror? I even thought of applying a one inch piece of aluminum running the height of door placing it in front of door hinge shaped like a piece of angle iron to deflect the wind out and around the hinge area of door, any thoughts ? Probably something I will have to live with
Sounds as if you are not closing tightly........seal - second latch - air Lock - something is not right on a 2020 it should be quiet like a Lexus

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #9

I have a 2015 4018 DS that I had to slam the door entirely too hard all the time when traveling. Last year going to the dealer for some work we stopped at a service station but I couldn't get the door open from the inside when leaving the station. Made a turn in the station lot and the door came open. Later after arriving at the dealers campground the door wouldn't open so I could go in to register, until someone leaned againt the door from the outside. Later while in the shop for the repairs they loosened the door and it shut lots easier. But now we have much wind noise around the door at highway speed.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #10

I agree -- sounds like the door isn't completely closed for driving. This is normal for most RV's. Gentle closing latches the door, but it doesn't pull it close enough for all the rubber seals to seal against the wind.

The door needs to be firmly closed to seal out wind noise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is how to tell if your door is adjusted properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.51.55 AM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	279581  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Our first Newmar had to have the door adjusted because it was too hard to get to the second latch. After adjustment you could close normally with a fingertip and to the second latch with a firm close but not a slam
Old 03-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #13

We had wind noise coming from the front door when driving at certain speeds. During warranty service (North Trail) adjusted the door and we no longer have the wind noise at the door. Unfortunately I am not sure what they did although I looked for added weather stripping and there wasn't any. The service manager was aware of the issue and new how to correct it. Although we have learned to live with minor noises when going down the hiway and would have lived with this one we are happy its been eliminated. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #14
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
We had wind noise coming from the front door when driving at certain speeds. During warranty service (North Trail) adjusted the door and we no longer have the wind noise at the door. Unfortunately I am not sure what they did although I looked for added weather stripping and there wasn't any. The service manager was aware of the issue and new how to correct it. Although we have learned to live with minor noises when going down the hiway and would have lived with this one we are happy its been eliminated. Good luck.
Page 5 talks about the bending the door (with a special tool?)to stop wind noise if adjusting the latch does not work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SS2013DRENTDR.pdf (914.3 KB, 36 views)

Tags
noise, wind, wind noise