Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Wind noise and crackle noise

I know I've read this on the wind noise from the door before but I can't seem to find the post. We picked up our DSDP in November but had yet to have a trip with it until now.

Went to Laughlin across the 40 from Southern Cal. The wind noise coming from the door was horrendous, you could even hear it at 35 mph . We tried slamming the door several times just this did not seem to work. Couldn't even drown out the noise with the radio 3/4up. One of the reasons I traded my Phaeton was the squealing wind noise coming from the door.

Also, some wind noise coming on the driver side, DH thought it was from the Power window but I read somewhere about the outside driver mirrors?..

The constant crackling in the front drove me nuts. Did not seem to be coming from the windows. Since I picked my coach up in November I believe the fix was in the windows already. Sounded more like the dashboard and flexing from the dashboard?

Any fixes???
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your DSDP.
You need to read the threads in the QT's that may help you solve your problems DS Don's and PDR John's Mod and problem solving sections.
Here is one on door and another on squeaks.
There are others but I will let you look for them because there are many other links related with your FWS and other info you should read.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
The stick's at top of forum have valued info also.
Enjoy your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
007, much appreciate your info and links...but I was referring to the wind noise at the door while driving....not a door closing problem. I know I've read about this problem before, but can't find it.

Any one have this problem...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Bowl300 - I can't speak to the door noise and not suggesting that you have the same crackle issue but I drove our coach for the second time yesterday and experienced a cracklings sound coming from the dash also. It was maddening and almost reminded me of an electrical short with wires rubbing together. After a minute I discovered the simple yet fantastic issue and corrected it. It seems the good folks who put the dedicated camera system in had the foresight to also include a microphone on the exterior (supposing the rear) so that someone helping you, say to park, can communicate with you while behind the rig. Pretty slick! In any case I found the volume "up and down" buttons and turned it all the way down and eliminated the crackle sound. I was really concerned at first that I was about to experience an electrical fire so it was a relief to determine it was something so simple. It'll definitely come in handy while the wife is guiding me in!
RVOF5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
GrBurnette, thank you for the camera volume hint....I actually thought that's where some of the noises were coming from also and made sure volume was down too. Unfortunately this didn't help.

I might even be Able to sustain the crackle noises if it wasn't for accompanying wind noise from the door area. It's so loud, I feel like I'm outside in a windstorm Yet, no breeze felt at the door coming through.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
I recently did the factory pick up for my LADP. I had a very noticeable wind noise from the top of the door. My tech tried several experimentations to solve it to no avail. One of the other techs there said I can tell you what it is. He said it's the arm on the top of the door that holds the door open when it is opened all the way. He said once in a while during the build the arm is installed slightly low which allows the arm to be pinched between the door and the door frame which holds the top of the door out slightly. He reached up and applied just enough pressure to the elbow to bend it up by 1/4" Problem solved. Quiet as can be! I don't know if this is the problem with your coach but it's certainly worth a look.
JSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
I’ve already spent countless hours going through my coach fixing squeaks and rattles. I don’t believe this speaks ill of the coach, I just think there is no coach builder out there that will live up to my expectations of a quiet coach. I’m going to make a guess that the noise you’re hearing from the dash area is the small collars at the bottom of the windshield pillars rubbing on the dash and the windshield. When the sun heats the dash and the pillar covers they expand, considering they are already too tight it causes plenty of noise when the coach moves and twists. I would suggest removing the collars (two screws) on the next drive to see if the noise is eliminated. If so there are a couple options. 1 Raise them by installing the screws at a higher point (tricky to not leave a noticeable gap). 2 Trim the areas along the bottom of the collars (especially where not easily seen near windshield) with a box cutter You don’t want them to rub the glass. 3 Install black weather stripping or small rubber cabinet door bumpers (Thin) between the collars and the dash in a manner that they are not noticeable. Or a combination of all. The good news is that all these noises can be addresses and eliminated as I’ve done it.
JSteele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, wind noise