Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Window Awnings. Yes-No-Why?

I have admired the exterior ascetic of window awnings on Newmar's and other RV's. I have never been inside an RV with window awnings and was wondering what the benefits and drawbacks are.

Are they only to block the sun from shining in the windows, or are there other benefits? Do they block your view very much? Are they reliable; I see in the Dutch Star option they are powered and I'm wondering if the motors fail, how often they fail, and if people get stuck because they can't get their window awning in without a repair.

I appreciate any opinions and experience you can share on this.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
I have admired the exterior ascetic of window awnings on Newmar's and other RV's. I have never been inside an RV with window awnings and was wondering what the benefits and drawbacks are.

Are they only to block the sun from shining in the windows, or are there other benefits? Do they block your view very much? Are they reliable; I see in the Dutch Star option they are powered and I'm wondering if the motors fail, how often they fail, and if people get stuck because they can't get their window awning in without a repair.

I appreciate any opinions and experience you can share on this.
We have them on our 09 Tour and I like them more than my wife does...they do block your view but are nice when the hot sun is shining...helps to keep it a bit cooler. We have the manual pull down awnings.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

They are to stop the sun shining in but they are also handy if it is raining and you need something from the basement underneath. They make the interior a little darker but they don't block the view when sitting down, unless you want a view of the sky. You have to keep an eye out for any strong winds and always close them at night just in case.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We use ours a lot.

I believe you're talking about the outside window awnings. They are manual, not powered, on our 2015 Dutch Star but are very easy to put in and out. They keep the sun from shining right in without blocking the view (except of the sky) and so we like using them so we don't have to close the interior motorized shades and lose our view every day. And, they can easily withstand rain and light-moderate wind unlike the motorized Girard patio awnings which can't be left out in rain and will actually put themselves away in even light winds.
Rain doesn't tend to get in the windows anyway since they are the ones that slant out, but if you were adding them to a rig that had sliding windows, the window awnings would add some rain protection.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

Mine have never failed, and the hold down strap has several loops on the strap for height adjustment. I too put them up in high wind. We love them.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

We had window awnings over every window on my 2000 Hurricane and were great. Did a good job reducing sun, allowed for the Windows to be open during a lite rain. We did not order them on our new unt as the windows open out from the bottom, insulated, and really dark.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They add a little security as well...others can't see directly into your rig (unless they walked up under the window awning).
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The powered window awnings on the 2017 are the standard option but you can get the manual windows still for about 6K less. Randy
Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

Can't imagine not having awnings here in the south. Makes the RV cooler and adds another level of sun protection for the furniture.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer them, they let in air and at the same time provide shade from direct sun, AND, being an introvert, I like the way they provide a bit more privacy...

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

Icing in the south, ours has them and we like them. When it's 100 degrees outside it helps
Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #12

I've always had them except I did not opt for them on the new DS. My thoughts were to try it for a while before getting them and I am fairly sure I won't bother. Rationalizations against are, one less thing to set up/take down breaking camp, one less thing to worry about going down the highway in heavy winds, one less thing to replace after they age out. The wonderfully insulated coach with much cooling power also played into my choice.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

Thanks all for your thoughts. I was at the Hershey show yesterday and was able to be in some RV's with the window awnings. I didn't like the impact they had on the view; even when sitting down. I think I'm going to pass on them.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #14

You can always have them and not use them. Not having them and needing one is a little more difficult.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, window