Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Window issues and how it is being handled

I got the recall in the mail a couple weeks ago, but I was not seeing any issues with my windows.

Returning on a 2100 mile trip doing my normal walk around and the glass for th escape door was flapping in the breeze.

It had failed like the recall states, the bonding agent has failed.

I had to duct tape it to the door so wouldn't lose it.

I am in a bit of a pickle, I am located in CT and there is only 1 Newmar Dealer.

He has made it very clear he will not perform warranty work on any coach not purchased from him.

I would have gladly bought from him but he never had anything that interested me except 1 time and it sold just before I called.

So I called Newmar today and got a rep that was not so nice basically reading from a script, quote You have to bring it to a dealer and have them perform the recall over and over.

I have performed most of the warranty work myself since I own a Repair shop and posses a CT Repair license Newmar was good about working with me.

I was hoping I could get them ship me the replacement windows and I could easily replace them.

Anyone else go through the window replacement yet?

If so how did it go?

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

What's your
year model?
oldcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoon View Post
What's your
year model?
in my signature, 2019 Ventana
Old 11-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
in my signature, 2019 Ventana

Unfortunately, the signature line doesn’t show on the iPhone or iPad irv2 mobile apps. It does show when I use Safari. Not sure about the Android version of the app.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #5

I have replaced multiple separated windows myself. I sent Newmar the pictures of the separation and they sent me the windows. No cost to me even after the warranty expired.
Maybe, things have changed since the recall was issued.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I would be surprised if Newmar or the Hehr ship you the parts for free without the dealer signing off on the need for warranty. They probably also track what windows have been replaced by a dealer.

I was prepared to replace or repair on my own if out of dealer range or out of warranty. This was prior to getting the recall notice that extends the warranty on this problem. There are a few other posts that outline DIY repair with products like 3m Window Weld.

Ultimately I sold the Kountry Star and hopefully the 2022 Dutch Stars do not have the same problem. I did have 4 windows replaced under warranty by North Trail prior to selling.

I got this document from Newmar that might come in handy if you tackle the job yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hehr Vent Window installation.pdf (324.5 KB, 49 views)
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #7

Because it's a safety recall an approved dealer or repair facility has to preform the repair. Depending on the area, Newmar will often work with mobile repair technicians. I would call Newmar and put pressure on them to get it fixed locally or tell them you will file a complaint with the NTSB. As a Honda dealer I can assure you that will get their attention.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #8

Newmar and other manufacturers really need to address the issue of service and repair at dealers when the motorhome is not purchased from them. Newmar could resolve the problem by adding two or three more factory locations. Seems like more and more dealers are refusing to work on motorhomes if the were not purchased from them and this increases the wait times at the dealers that will service and repair the rigs not purchased from them.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
Because it's a safety recall an approved dealer or repair facility has to preform the repair. Depending on the area, Newmar will often work with mobile repair technicians. I would call Newmar and put pressure on them to get it fixed locally or tell them you will file a complaint with the NTSB. As a Honda dealer I can assure you that will get their attention.
Unfortunately RV dealerships are not like automotive dealership. They are not contractually required by the manufacturer to work on any RV that they didn't sell. As far as I know, there is no federal law or regulation that requires them to do "safety recall" work on a RV that they didn't sell. If you know of one please share it because many here full time and are far from where they purchased their RV.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:38 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I was specifically told (in person) by Matt Miller in 2018 that all Newmar dealers were required to perform warranty work whether or not they sold the vehicle. I asked because at the time I was buying a new Mountain Aire at the Newmar Rally in Missouri and I knew I would not be returning to MO as I live in Florida.

He handed me his card and said "If you ever have a problem with warranty work call me directly and I will straighten it out." He did allow that dealers who did not sell the MH might be a little less enthusiastic about warranty work, but insisted it would get done. Fortunately, I did not have to test this.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
I was specifically told (in person) by Matt Miller in 2018 that all Newmar dealers were required to perform warranty work whether or not they sold the vehicle. I asked because at the time I was buying a new Mountain Aire at the Newmar Rally in Missouri and I knew I would not be returning to MO as I live in Florida.

He handed me his card and said "If you ever have a problem with warranty work call me directly and I will straighten it out." He did allow that dealers who did not sell the MH might be a little less enthusiastic about warranty work, but insisted it would get done. Fortunately, I did not have to test this.
I have first hand information that this is true as well.

The dealers have figured out a way around it. They will schedule you for service at the end of the list....months from now, with priority for their customers.

Not all dealers are like this. The smart ones will take care of any coach brand regardless where it was purchased.

NiRVC is am example of a smart dealership. They know that money is made in service, not the sale of a motorhome.

A sales department of new coaches is a necessary evil. It is not the main profit center. Any dealership that doesn't recognize this doesn't have a service department worth going to in the first place.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have had 2 recalls done by the nearest dealer from who I did not purchase the coach. Each time they gave me an appointment 6-8 weeks from when I called. I just had my windows recall done there. Both were safety recalls.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have first hand information that this is true as well.

The dealers have figured out a way around it. They will schedule you for service at the end of the list....months from now, with priority for their customers.

Not all dealers are like this. The smart ones will take care of any coach brand regardless where it was purchased.

NiRVC is am example of a smart dealership. They know that money is made in service, not the sale of a motorhome.

A sales department of new coaches is a necessary evil. It is not the main profit center. Any dealership that doesn't recognize this doesn't have a service department worth going to in the first place.
I could not agree more you nailed it.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #14

Newmar rep called me back totally changed his tune and asked where he should send my windows.

I will be replacing them myself so I can get back to travelling.

Ted.

Tags
led, wind, window