Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

Recently I was parked at a CG next to a tag axle MT Aire with a 3 foot crack in the passenger side windshield. After chatting with the owner, he told me that this was his 3rd windshield problem with this coach! The first one popped out with a loud noise(sounded like a gunshot)when he used the auto level jacks. Newmar covered it under warranty and adjusted the jacks as they thought the frame was twisting. The second one was similar except the windshield cracked but stayed in place. Also covered under warranty, they advised that he should not use the auto level feature unless the coach was on a fairly level surface (seems not right to me). This last one happened (according to him)as he was driving over the Tappan Zee Bridge in NY after he hit a fairly large pot hole on the bridge.
I have not had any problems like this with my coach, but don't know if I have just been lucky. According to him, Newmar has acknowledged that this has been a problem with some of their coaches. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a solution?
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #2

Recently I was parked at a CG next to a tag axle MT Aire with a 3 foot crack in the passenger side windshield. After chatting with the owner, he told me that this was his 3rd windshield problem with this coach! The first one popped out with a loud noise(sounded like a gunshot)when he used the auto level jacks. Newmar covered it under warranty and adjusted the jacks as they thought the frame was twisting. The second one was similar except the windshield cracked but stayed in place. Also covered under warranty, they advised that he should not use the auto level feature unless the coach was on a fairly level surface (seems not right to me). This last one happened (according to him)as he was driving over the Tappan Zee Bridge in NY after he hit a fairly large pot hole on the bridge.
I have not had any problems like this with my coach, but don't know if I have just been lucky. According to him, Newmar has acknowledged that this has been a problem with some of their coaches. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a solution?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We used to hear of windshield problems some years ago, but not much has been posted recently.

What year was the coach?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #4

My right side windshield developed a crack(no signs of impact) while in Myrtle Beach this spring. I had it replaced and the first time I leveled after that, it popped out at top center -- about a three inch gap. I have to believe this happened due to the way the jacks release when storing. I adjusted the level screws on the HWH box and all has been okay the last two trips. I am noticably more careful when setting up now and I cringe everytime I store the jacks. A thousand bucks a pop gets old quick!

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #5

This is a crossover from another discussion, but I was told (strongly suggested) to start my engine and get air in the bags before storing the jacks. This prevents the coach from the sudden fall (crash). You have to put up with the alarm noise but it may save a windshield.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seem to have read about this problem some years ago. If I remember right the fiberglas windshield opening has to be trimmed during the assembly/manufacturing process. Sometimes its trimmed too small or too big. The windshield will correspondely either crack or pop out on rough terrain or during the jacking/lowering/chassis twisting process. I understand that these "openings" had to be reformed and that was the ultimate fix. Sometimes the "corporate memory" fails after a period of time and organizations have to relearn forgotten fixes--- food for thought--

Max
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lane:
This is a crossover from another discussion, but I was told (strongly suggested) to start my engine and get air in the bags before storing the jacks. This prevents the coach from the sudden fall (crash). You have to put up with the alarm noise but it may save a windshield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On many of the Newmar / Spartan motorhomes the air bags will not inflate until the jacks are raised. (At least the jacks have to be raising, but not fully retracted.)
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I popped a windshield when turning, I ran drivers side front wheel over a small imbankment on side of road. Didn't realize until I was greeted with a loud whistle doing 65 mph.
I have a manual jack control and I'm able to lower one side rail at a time, both jacks same rail, if the coach is on uneven ground.
If you with "automatic" can not override that feature your in trouble and can twist the frame.
I have a friend with auto on his MADP and he has had WS's replaced.
In your HWH Manual you have a means of lowering your jacks manually. The jacks will lower the same as mine by two's on either the drivers side or the passenger side rails.
Its explained in the "Manual Hydraulic Operation" section of this MANUAL if you do this operation you should not twist the frame.
You manually extend jack by pressing the LEFT SIDE EXTEND ARROW or the RIGHT SIDE EXTEND ARROW never the FRONT or REAR EXTEND arrows in a manual operation.
You need your two side rails level first so you do not "twist the frame".
When the jacks extend the first jack to touch ground will stop extending and wait for the other jack same side to catch up, than both jacks same rail will lift that rail. The AUTO part will come in and just finish the leveling process until leveling sensor says coach is level. If the coach is on a unlevel area and AUTO can not level, the "Excess Slope" Light will come on. You will than have to add blocking under jack to try and level or find another leveler site.
To lower the jacks you than press the LEFT than RIGHT RETRACK Button ARROWS only, never the front and rear RETRACK BUTTONS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 AM   #9

I am familiar with this problem as I have had both sides of the windshields replaced on my 2005 MADP 4304 on three occasions. Newmar has a fix, which involves adding lag bolts through the windshield frame into the body. The dealer performed this repair and all has been well so far.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #10

Thank you all for your insights and excellent advice!
FYI, the coach is a 2005 MADP 4304 and because of the info gained here, he will stop using the auto level feature until he contacts Newmar about the "lag bolt Fix"- as it is still covered under factory warranty.
You gotta love that "three year bumper to bumper" warranty!
Sorry for bringing up a "touchy subject", but it makes you wonder if this type of problem will be covered under the new 5 year structural warranty??
Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Its explained in the "Manual Hydraulic Operation" section of this MANUAL if you do this operation you should not twist the frame.
You manually extend jack by pressing the LEFT SIDE EXTEND ARROW or the RIGHT SIDE EXTEND ARROW never the FRONT or REAR EXTEND arrows in a manual operation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
007..my coach will sometimes raise the ends first, then side to side...the manual also states it is BEST to level side to side and then the ends, so I guess it depends on the individual site's needs...
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the AUTO operation it will do that, thats when the frame may twist. If you are on level site AUTO should not pose a problem. Its when your in a unlevel site that you should over ride the auto and manually lift each side rail first than rise the front or back. If the back is way low request another site NEVER want those back tires off ground contact.

I wish you would swat that bug for me last time I did I had to buy another monitor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote