Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #1

Windshield Defog/Defrost

Tried searching this forum for terms above, but answers are washed out by a deluge of issues with dual pane windows fogging. My problem windshield fogging due to temperature changes. What dash HVAC and overhead fan settings are folks using to deal with this issue. Tried defrost setting with AC on the dash controls, and it made the issue marginally better. Then I tried the overhead fans, and made the issue scary worse (was moving down road). What works best?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 11:33 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Why are you using the defrost setting with AC on the dash controls? Try using the defrost setting with a little, or a lot, of heat. I have never heard of using the AC with the defroster.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #3

AC with the defroster makes sense in humid climates. In dry climates it doesn’t matter much.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #4

Just living in the RV creates a humid environment. I always run the dash A/C on defrost if the windshield gets foggy.

Air conditioners are dehumidifiers.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #5

If you're talking about the windshield fogging up while you're stationary, Try opening the drivers side window an inch or so. I have a magna shade so that keeps the flies out.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Tried searching this forum for terms above, but answers are washed out by a deluge of issues with dual pane windows fogging. My problem windshield fogging due to temperature changes. What dash HVAC and overhead fan settings are folks using to deal with this issue. Tried defrost setting with AC on the dash controls, and it made the issue marginally better. Then I tried the overhead fans, and made the issue scary worse (was moving down road). What works best?
Hello sir, make sure that when you are in the defrost mode you are not using the recirculation mode of the A/C. This will cause the issue you are referring to. Also, the front window in most rv's are huge and require a good amount of airflow to keep defrosted. Depending on the temp of your living conditions
behind the seat area this as well could be affecting the defogging of your front window because you stated that you turned your fans overhead on as well. Depending on outside temp and humidity this too has a lot to do with what temp to use when defrosting your window. I know some folks put a sheet up right behind the driver and passenger seats when traveling to help control heat in the driver area during the winter time and the summer time to help keep the immediate area cool. Good luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
You should have another switch on the dash for fan. That would be front heat from the Oasis. I recall Zone 1 furnace. Going by memory with the Coach in storage. That same switch helps heat the front of the coach if you are parked at camp and sitting in the driver or passenger seat.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello sir, make sure that when you are in the defrost mode you are not using the recirculation mode of the A/C. This will cause the issue you are referring to. Also, the front window in most rv's are huge and require a good amount of airflow to keep defrosted. Depending on the temp of your living conditions
behind the seat area this as well could be affecting the defogging of your front window because you stated that you turned your fans overhead on as well. Depending on outside temp and humidity this too has a lot to do with what temp to use when defrosting your window. I know some folks put a sheet up right behind the driver and passenger seats when traveling to help control heat in the driver area during the winter time and the summer time to help keep the immediate area cool. Good luck
I think I may have had it on recirculate, so that is the likely culprit.
Btw, running AC with heat (and no recirc) would be the most effective way to dehumidify, and if it is a foggy (as opposed to frosted) front window, this makes most sense i think. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-11-2023, 09:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I attempt to keep the interior of the coach at 68F year round. When in humidity, this will obviously cause fogging, depending on temperatures. My method described below is dual purpose: comfort while driving and windshield visibility.

#1 always drive with rooftop air running on desired temperature. Exception is winter driving, then furnace is used.

#2. Always have dash overhead fans running.
This circulates the air, removing the heat buildup from the top and allowing cool air to flow in. During the winter it moves warm air past the window. The goal here is to reduce the temperature difference between house and inside glass *and* remove inside moisture before it occurs.

#3 I then use the dash ac for comfort, on any setting. The defrost from dash air is useless. I only use it if I want cool air delivered to me indirectly.

I will adjust the fan speed overhead based on temps outside or moisture buildup. The goal is to always be ahead of your needs. When I know the outside temps are 95+, I will start with fan on high.

I've been doing this since my Fleetwood discovery. That coach would never keep up with 105F temps
Often the front cab was in excess of 90F even with all air running.

My 3 newmars have always been comfortable, with can temps below 75F, and my wife with a lap blanket.

I never have an issue with fogging when I plan ahead.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I attempt to keep the interior of the coach at 68F year round. When in humidity, this will obviously cause fogging, depending on temperatures. My method described below is dual purpose: comfort while driving and windshield visibility.

#1 always drive with rooftop air running on desired temperature. Exception is winter driving, then furnace is used.

This circulates the air, removing the heat buildup from the top and allowing cool air to flow in. During the winter it moves warm air past the window. The goal here is to reduce the temperature difference between house and inside glass *and* remove inside moisture before it occurs.

#3 I then use the dash ac for comfort, on any setting. The defrost from dash air is useless. I only use it if I want cool air delivered to me indirectly.

I will adjust the fan speed overhead based on temps outside or moisture buildup. The goal is to always be ahead of your needs. When I know the outside temps are 95+, I will start with fan on high.

I've been doing this since my Fleetwood discovery. That coach would never keep up with 105F temps

My 3 newmars have always been comfortable, with can temps below 75F, and my wife with a lap blanket.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for!
Old 02-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Why are you using the defrost setting with AC on the dash controls? Try using the defrost setting with a little, or a lot, of heat. I have never heard of using the AC with the defroster.
I live in Florida, and I have for many years used AC on with defrost, and the temp control to heat. The "warm" air absorbs moisture, then moisture is removed by the AC condenser coils. This helps to defog the inside of all the windows in my truck or car. I do the same with our motorhome.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:26 PM   #12

Just a follow up note. I have taken to running my dash AC with added heat as "The Brews Cruise" recommended above. One does have to plan ahead running it before takeoff like RedBarron suggests, and in doing so, it works like a charm! Thanks everyone!
Old 03-23-2023, 09:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

Good plan that I follow most of the time. There are exceptions. Once I was running heat from Oasis and dash, a sudden winter storm with no warning in SD totally fogged the windshield. The reverse happened with the house ACs running in a hard rain storm (Houston style).
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield