Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Windshield Replacement

We have a 2018 Dutch Star and need to replace our windshield again. We were able to take it to Nappanee for the first replacement but we now live in the Florida panhandle and really donít want to make the long drive this time. 500 miles is very doable if necessary. We will be heading to souther FL later next month, so that will allow hopefully more options. Will also call Newmar for recommendations, but we really rely on those that have had to seek the same help. Thanks
Traveltime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #2

If you have tow insurance, give them a call. Some offer advice.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

Andrew Steele says call the Glass Guru. He will fly out for jobs if he’s not close.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
https://rvglassexperts.com/
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
1st Class Glass, Red Bay, Al. Great folks.
medcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

When we had to replace the windshield on our BSS we used a local franchise of a nationwide glass company( Binswanger). They came to my house, measured, ordered the glass, brought plenty of muscle and replaced the windshield. This was 3+ years ago. No issues.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might check out Auto Glass Warehouse. I believe they operate out of Ft Myers. In my case I was staying in Port Charlotte and 2 mobile techs came to me to replace the windshield in my 2015 Ventana. This was the second windshield replacement for me. I felt these guys were very knowledgeable and did a great job. It appears the windshield actually came from Newmar based on the markings on on the glass. .
Just George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveltime09 View Post
We have a 2018 Dutch Star and need to replace our windshield again. We were able to take it to Nappanee for the first replacement but we now live in the Florida panhandle and really donít want to make the long drive this time. 500 miles is very doable if necessary. We will be heading to souther FL later next month, so that will allow hopefully more options. Will also call Newmar for recommendations, but we really rely on those that have had to seek the same help. Thanks
Since you live in Florida, did you know it is one of three states that have free windshield replacement? Or another way to put it Florida is a zero deductible state when it comes to windshields?

When I had to have a windshield replaced, I used a local glass replacement company. I was very happy with their work.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
but we really rely on those that have had to seek the same help. Thanks
Is your coach insured in FL? If it is, the windshield is covered. I let the insurance company handle my windshield replacement. The insurance company (progressive) handed the job over to Lippert. They are great to work with and know most of the installers and their reputations. I live in Fort Myers, close to North Trails (a big Newmar dealer). Lippert sent the company that does most of North Trails windshield work to replace my windshield..... now that I think about it, that is a lot of handing off.... LOL.
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just George View Post
You might check out Auto Glass Warehouse. I believe they operate out of Ft Myers.
Yep, that is the company that Lippert sent to replace my windshield. They did it right there in my RV lot. It is quite the process to watch.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
We have a 2018 Dutch Star and need to replace our windshield again. We were able to take it to Nappanee for the first replacement but we now live in the Florida panhandle and really don’t want to make the long drive this time. 500 miles is very doable if necessary. We will be heading to souther FL later next month, so that will allow hopefully more options. Will also call Newmar for recommendations, but we really rely on those that have had to seek the same help. Thanks
I wouldn't trust anyone 'cept Newmar. They replaced both of mine and said the coach had to stay inside overnight for the windshield to set properly. Yes it's a long drive but worth it - make a little vacation out of it.
I'll do the same thing next spring to get my HWH jacks rebuilt at HWH in Iowa.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone 'cept Newmar.
Who do you think installs more windshields, Newmar or a company that specializes in replacing windshields?

Replacing the windshield is not rocket science. They all have tools for aligning the glass in the opening and they all use the same adhesives. And they all tell you that you can't travel for 24 hours and that longer is better. Their comment about storing it inside might be related to weather. During the dry season in FL, outside it OK.

I'm in south FL, no way am I traveling to Napanee for a windshield replacement.

-B
Old 09-27-2021, 04:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Who do you think installs more windshields, Newmar or a company that specializes in replacing windshields?

Replacing the windshield is not rocket science. They all have tools for aligning the glass in the opening and they all use the same adhesives. And they all tell you that you can't travel for 24 hours and that longer is better. Their comment about storing it inside might be related to weather. During the dry season in FL, outside it OK.

I'm in south FL, no way am I traveling to Napanee for a windshield replacement.

-B
I think the proper question should be who installs more Newmar windshields. I had the replacement done in May so it wasn't the weather as the reason to keep it indoors. And I live in South Central FL also. I had other work done while up there at the factory. Suit yourself.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:38 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Since you live in Florida, did you know it is one of three states that have free windshield replacement? Or another way to put it Florida is a zero deductible state when it comes to windshields?

When I had to have a windshield replaced, I used a local glass replacement company. I was very happy with their work.

What are the other 2 states? Thanks
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, wind, windshield