Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Windshield Replacement. We're full time. Are my expectations out of whack?

Good day folks. Looking for some insight from a full-timer who has experienced a windshield replacement.

My coach is my home. I thought that the insurance adjuster I'm working with understood that. Long story short, we did delay the process by over a month. We lot-docked at my mother's retirement home for that month dealing with the death of my father. Now that we're back on the road again, I've reached out to the adjuster and told them that we're very flexible as to location anytime after the 18th of this month. She came back with a location that would require us to leave the coach with the glass shop for "a couple of days".

We're currently in Northern Indiana and have plans at Thanksgiving in Tennessee. From the 18th of October to Thanksgiving week, I'm willing to go anywhere within reason.

I know we would be expected to vacate while the replacement is going on, but I don't understand "a couple of days".

Thoughts please.
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bob:
Not a full timer, but here is my replacement experience from last year.
I had to wait a few weeks for my windshield to be sent to the installer. Once it was in, they set an appointment. On the day of the appointment, they met me at my storage yard and had the job done in about 4 hours. They did say not to drive the coach for 24 hours to let the adhesives and sealant set. Not sure why the installer couldn't come to the park you are staying at?
Good luck with your repair.
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #3

I hit a big fat Turkey back in 2009. It was 2 weeks for the driver side windshield.
They came to the house and replaced it on my RV pad. Took them 3 hours.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Tell your insurance company that you want a referral to Duncan Systems. They will send one of their trained teams to you or will make an appointment at a location. At the most you will be required to overnight and should be able to stay in the coach. Who's your insurance company? Do they know motorhomes and fulltiming? Duncan is the go to for windshield repairs on RV's.

Tom
Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had ours replaced at Midway, our dealer in Michigan. We were able to stay in the coach plugged in to electric in their lot, but they said we couldn't drive the coach for 24 hours. They bring someone in to install the windshield. They say they don't have problems and will stand by the work.

We were also happy to see we got a Newmar stamped windshield. Midway was excellent to deal with throughout the entire process.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #6

"couple of days"

Is that the 'adjusters' comment
OR
Is that the SHOPS comment???

FTng /repairs----flexiblity is necessity

We had to have major repairs done
Had to stay in Motel for 3 days and that was having repairs done at the factory

Have you talked with the SHOP about time frame etc?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #7
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the comments so far.

We have full-timers insurance through National General. We use Miller Insurance Agency out of Oregon. The glass claim is being handled by an outfit called Custom Glass Solutions.

I do understand full-time and flexibility. We've done the motel thing a couple of times and other times have lot-docked on site.

The "couple of days" comment was from the adjuster.

I will drop the Duncan Systems name on her and see how she reacts.
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I am an insurance adjuster (40 years) and what I see today is most companies think they should hire college graduates who have no experience in the vehicle field.

You are correct. 24 hours is about right for a rig to sit after an install. No driving, airing up, leveling. But most glass installers are mobile anyway. My only concern, from personal experience is I would not want my glass put in if it is under 70 degrees.

The car guys do windshields in parking lots when it is 0 out, use a cold weather fast cure urethane and start the car with the defrost on. Not the way the quality guys I know do it.

You adjuster uses the “couple” days term. In reality, if it is cold out and they can get it in a shop, let them. They will have it overnight. If the weather is in the 70s+ outside is fine but don’t move it for 24 hours.

In the big scheme of things, would you like it done in 4 hours? Or is it worth it to take it in one morning and pick it up the next afternoon, done correctly?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #9

I had the windshield replaced in another brand MH. The factory did the replacement in one day and I had to spend that night in their campground overnight.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Windshield Replacement. We're full time. Are my expectations out of whack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff54 View Post
…….We have full-timers insurance through National General. We use Miller Insurance Agency out of Oregon. The glass claim is being handled by an outfit called Custom Glass Solutions…….

swaff….. I just had my right side windshield replaced last week. We are insured by National General, and they assigned the glass work to Custom Glass Solutions. CGS selected a local mobile tech who would come to my location, but I requested a specific shop where I had already had some associated work done recently. Custom Glass shipped the glass to the install shop, no problem. I arrived the night before (my choice) and boondocked in their yard. Guys showed up at ~9, glass was installed, sealed, and sparkly clean in and out by ~12. He had brought a quick-cure sealant, told us to stay still for 2 hrs minimum. We left about 3:30.
Talk to the Custom Glass customer service rep, explain clearly that you LIVE in this coach, no other place to go.

Michele Harvell
Customer Service Representative
P: 740.218.6580
F: 740.205.1818
E: Michele.Harvell@cgsllc.com
W: www.customglasssolutions.com
W: www.rvglassparts.com

She was very helpful and flexible with us.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were full time when we had our windshield replaced and had National General for insurance. We were Florida residents at the time and had 0 deductible on glass. We never saw a bill, everything was handled through National General and Midway.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #12

We had a good experience with RV Glass Solutions. They have a facility in Indiana. They also provide 50 amp hookup. You can stay in your coach the entire time except while they are actually installing the glass. We had ours done at their Phoenix location.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #13

We had our windshield replaced in August through National General / Custom Glass. It took a few weeks to come to an agreement over who would do the work. We wanted it done by a company experienced with large RV windshields, and who could do the work indoors. We were able to have Steinbring do the work while we were in Minnesota. They received the windshield before we arrived, and did the work on the promised day. They wanted to keep the RV inside without movement over night after the installation, so we went to a hotel for one night. Remember, you have the right to choose who does the work! Custom Glass will want to provide the windshield to the installer.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #14

If you're in Indiana couldn't The Nappanee factory do it? I know they have a waiting list but windshields are pretty quick to do. They could also keep it in the heated shop to cure.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, full time, replace, replacement, wind, windshield