Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Windshield shade problem - 2005 Essex

I suddenly have an issue with the passenger side windshield shade. I think it's a Automotion power roller with scissors support. It goes up but doesn't come down. If I reverse the wires at the motor, it goes down and not up. Motor therefore appears ok. Motor has 2 wires (at the motor). Swapped switch and that made no difference. The wire colors on the switch do not match the wire colors on the motor. Can't find documentation for this shade. The other shades are working correctly (3).

Does anyone know if there is a controller of some sort buried somewhere ?? and, if so, where ??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

I had the passenger side shade fail last year. My research had me concluding the Automation shade had no repairable parts. I bought a new shade and installed it.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I had the passenger side shade fail last year. My research had me concluding the Automation shade had no repairable parts. I bought a new shade and installed it.
I'd agree except the shade works in both directions .... but not from the rocker switch. If I swap wires AT the motor it will go up or down based on polarity. However, if I swap the switch it still only goes in one direction. So, there is something between the switch and the motor. This is confirmed with wonky resistance readings on leads going to the motor (when wires are disconnected from switch and motor). In other words, it's not a straight DC path.

Also, same problem if I use the switch in the passenger seat "console".

And, there must be some form of isolation since there are 2 switches for the same shade.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Sorry about that. I did not read your post carefully.

The visor/shade wiring diagram can be found in the newmar Essex "wiring and fuses" document.

I haven't studied this page, but it appears to show a component (relay) sitting between the switch and the motor.

Do you have this document for 2005?

Reading the document will be easy... finding and accessing these relays promises to be lots of fun!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry about that. I did not read your post carefully.

The visor/shade wiring diagram can be found in the newmar Essex "wiring and fuses" document.

I haven't studied this page, but it appears to show a component (relay) sitting between the switch and the motor.

Do you have this document for 2005?

Reading the document will be easy... finding and accessing these relays promises to be lots of fun!
Can you give me a link to the wiring doc? or a newmar SS number?
Thanks, Bruce
Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

Hey ... thanks !! ... I found the drawing and you are right. Looks like 4 relays on passenger side ... 2 for visor and 2 for shade. I saw a drawing somewhere for a late model Newmar that appeared to have relays under the cover on the passenger side windshield post. The motor wires go into the area where the passenger side speaker is located .... another possibility. Next week .... sigh ....
Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

UPDATE: Haven't found the relays yet but I know where they aren't! They are NOT in the passenger side speaker cabinet. What is in there is a pair of DCM Cinema 1 Satellite Speakers hanging from loose mounts ... I now know the source of my loud clunk from that area. Guess I'll fix those before resuming my search for relays.
They also aren't under the passenger side pillar cover. Might have to email Newmar.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

There are a bunch of relays inside the panel beside the passenger seat. I know there are 2 door lock relays, but I remember there being many more. They could have been the relays for the baggage doors as well. Sorry, but no pictures.

Take apart that panel only as a last resort. The screws are simply going into Styrofoam. It is a challenge to put it back together.

I have a thread called electric door locks from 11/10/15 where I discuss some lock issues. I don't know if I mentioned any other relays.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
There are a bunch of relays inside the panel beside the passenger seat. I know there are 2 door lock relays, but I remember there being many more. They could have been the relays for the baggage doors as well. Sorry, but no pictures.

Take apart that panel only as a last resort. The screws are simply going into Styrofoam. It is a challenge to put it back together.

I have a thread called electric door locks from 11/10/15 where I discuss some lock issues. I don't know if I mentioned any other relays.

Happy hunting!
Thanks ... I was in there once to disconnect my failed entry keyboard. I remember a bunch of relays but assumed they were security and baggage locks. I'll keep the location on my list of Maybe ...
Called Newmar ... the guy I spoke to couldn't find any docs but was going to ask an "ol-timer" and call me. Haven't looked behind the Magnum panel. May need to try the area behind the dash radio again now that I have an idea what I'm looking for .... and behind the glovebox.

After finding the overhead speakers flopping around I think I'll have to open up the driver side enclosure .... sigh.

BTW, I reinstalled the passenger speakers with wedges of cut up "pool toy" foam.

Also, when you were hunting for your door lock problem, did you find the Marksman controller?

Also, I am taking pictures but not posting ... available via email to anyone that asks.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #10

Another UPDATE:

The relays are NOT in the driver side speaker enclosure and are NOT behind the glovebox and are NOT behind the Magnum panel.

More foam wedges installed around driver side speakers.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #11

Latest .... put everything back together and tried the visor. It's working again. The search is suspended until it quits again. Not wasted effort since I fixed the loose speakers and learned (and photographed) what's in cabinets.

BTW, 2 separate speakers for the slides ("the lockarms are ...") are behind the Magnum panel. There is a duplex 120vac outlet in there as well as a big squirel-cage fan.

Also, the speaker louver/grill is held with silicone sealer. When I put them back I used 3m double sided tape (the thin foam stuff).