RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
windshield wiper arm

Has anyone had a issue with the windshield wiper arm teeth stripping?

I moved the wipers to clean the windshield and when I put them back in place the drivers side fell down. I took it apart and found that the teeth on the arm were completely stripped. Checked the passenger side and they are almost gone.

I called Newmar and since this seems like a safety issue I asked if there was a recall, I was told no and since it is out of warranty the repair/replacement would be my responsibility.

This seems unusual for a wipe arm to fail, regardless of how little it has been used. I would think that this is either a design defect or incorrect installation.

jbrown000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #2

What is stripped, the teeth on the wiper arm or the motor drive rod?

and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The teeth on the arms
Old 03-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

It is better that the wiper arm stripped instead of the motor rod.

I was told by Newmar to be careful when attempting to adjust the position of the wiper by removing and replacing the arm. They said the arms easily strip and are good for only one or two adjustments. Newmar told me the wiper arm assembly is manufactured by Diesel Equipment 336-370-0812. You may want to call them.

I also found the nuts on both wiper arms to be loose so I tightened them.

I had to purchase a new wiper arm for my previous Allegro Bus and I recall it wasn't too expensive. My Dutch Star arms are larger but still may be reasonably priced.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
LK23 - I've never had to adjust the arms, so it seems strange that they would fail as they have. Also, the nut was tight when I removed the arm to check on the problem. I'm just surprised as I've never heard of wiper arms failing.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

I wonder if the factory installer didn't have the wiper arm properly aligned with the splines on the motor rod when the nut was tightened. I would think this would destroy the splines.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
On my 09 DADP I had several issues with blades stripping out. After this happened a few times and on the last time I was at the Newmar International rally and I got Newmar to look at it. What I found out the shaft was fine as it is steel but the arms are aluminum so they just cleaned the spines on the shaft and installed a new blade, however this time they replaced the nut and torqued the bolt to 75 ft lbs? you might check with Newmar for sure on the torque itself but the good thing its it never happened again.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder if Newmar changed suppliers as my '02 DSDP never had a problem with the wiper arms. But then I never changed the orientation in the 13 years we owned it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had mine fail on me. Rig had just been in for warranty for replacement of the molding around the windshield that had come loose. Dealer had contracted out to a glass shop who I suspect removed the wipers to replace the molding. We hit a rain shower as we were driving through Colorado. Turned on the wipers and drivers side went up about half way and then went straight down across the grill.

Pulled into a Newmar dealer who confirmed the splines were stripped on the wiper arm. They would have shipped an arm to us there but agreed to ship it to Wyoming and send out a mobile repair to cover under warranty.

It appears the arm has a softer metal that has no grooves in it. When you torque it down on the post it will create the grooves. If removed you’re probably not going to line it back up in the exact spot, and therefore it will lead to getting stripped out.

No problems since the replacement and torquing down the passenger side as well.
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
There was a thread on this a while back. It stated that the wiper blades are shipped without any threads on them and they get their threads or groves when they are put on the steel shafts. If you ever have to take them off you have to mark them so they go on the exact same way or they will strip out.
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
There was a thread on this a while back. It stated that the wiper blades are shipped without any threads on them and they get their threads or groves when they are put on the steel shafts. If you ever have to take them off you have to mark them so they go on the exact same way or they will strip out.
exactly correct....

the steel post on the coach creates the grooves in the aluminum arm...

once you take it of, it has to go back on perfectly, or else it will fail....and most likely at the worst possible time...

a friend of mine had his windshield replaced at the factory, and they even missed this when they re-installed the arms....he lost his drivers side wiper in a massive rain storm on I90 on the way home and barely made it to the side of the road safely....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
During my first year of ownership, early 2012, I had a driver's side wiper arm strip out during a severe rainstorm of course. I replaced both arms and also replaced the driver's side tapered steel pivot shaft. I cleaning the steel groves out with a dental probe and the driver's side showed definite wear as compared to passenger side.

I yearly re-tighten the nylon lock nuts and its been 6 years now with no problems. Knock on wood. I have the 40 inch long wiper blades.

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #13

Windshield Wiper Arms

The passenger side wiper arm came loose while driving in the rain last week (and parked itself around the windshield pillar around the mirror).

I talked to both Newmar and Diesel Equipment about the problem and proper torque seemed to be the consensus. I got a diagram from Newmar Customer Service with the proper torque settings for the bolts. You can also get this from Diesel Equipment if you have the "kit" number for your particular wipers. It is on the wiper motor.

The torque for ours is 65 ft-lbs, which was hard to do with a normal socket wrench on the side of the road, but easy with long torque wrench. Both of mine were loose, so this is just another thing to add to the periodic maintenance check list.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
On both of our arms the tread was completely worn away, and I ordered 2 new arms from Newmar. Since all of my years with having a vehicle I was wanted to know why a arm would fail. I spoke to Diesel Equipment and they confirmed that the torque needs to be 65 lbs, they also said that when the arms are installed and torqued they need to be re-torqued a 2nd time, preferably the next day. They said that is likely that the 2nd torque was not done.

I was speaking with someone who has a Tiffin and they had the same problem, however there was a recall on theirs and the arms were replaced by Tiffin.