Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Windshield wiper arm

How hard is it to replace the arm?
I was driving through a rain storm when all of a sudden my wiper arm went 90 degrees to the left. The arm was protruding past the drivers side mirror. Once at the campground I tried tightening the nut on the wiper arm, that didn’t work. I took of the arm partially,it was still attached to the rv by a black wire, to see that there was a sleeve or collar that attaches to the pin of the arm. What is the wire? Does the wire just unplug to attach a new arm?
Any help would be appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	249359Attachment 1Attachment 1
jk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That "wire" is the hose for the spray, might just pull off but they really get tough to remove if they've been on a while.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The "wire" is actually the windshield washer supply tube. It just unplugs.

The center hub of the wiper arm is made of a soft metal that the wiper motor splines cut into when a new arm is properly installed. Once that soft-metal center strips out, you need to replace the arm with a new one. Tightening the old arm is, at best, a very temporary fix. In a pinch, placing a few strips of aluminum foil over the wiper motor splines and re-installing the wiper arm MIGHT buy you a short respite to get where you can replace the damaged wiper arm.

Contact the Newmar Parts Department to order a new wiper arm.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Has your coach (whatever it is) ever had windshield work done? The wipers are designed to be pressed on "once". If they removed and reinstalled them, you are seeing the result. It's a well known issue - do a search. Replacement wipers are in the $150 range. I met a guy that kept getting a nuisance leak attended to and each time they removed his wiper arm - cha ching. Unfortunately I am currently getting my windshields replaced - oh boy...
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

No I never had any windshield work done. I’ll try the foil for a temporary fix and order a new wiper arm. Thanks for the help.
jk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

I know you own a Newmar, but my assumption is that the wipers are the same as my Entegra. I’ve uploaded the procedure used for attaching the wiper arm on an Entegra with the same soft metal that forms on the spindle. I had the same issue with my passenger wiper last year. We don’t drive in a lot of rain storms.

On my Anthem, the upper level part number for the wiper setup is on the wiper motor. May be the same on your Newmar. This has allowed me to identify and order parts from Diesel Equipment. If anything, this may help with your problem.

Take a look at the documents and I hope they help.....

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New_Arm_Installation.pdf (347.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Wiper_Arm_Assembly.PDF (502.4 KB, 37 views)
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Not sure which coach you have, but this is the wiper system on my Dutch Star.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wipermechanism.pdf (496.6 KB, 55 views)
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windshield