Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #1

Windshield wiper blades

When I bought our 2008 KSDP 3623 it had the wrong wiper blades mounted. The RV shop had a heck of a time finding ones that would work. But they finally found that Wiper Technologies WT1-32 Contour blades worked and they mounted them.

That was four years ago. The blades are still OK, but not great. And a storm is coming for my next drive. So I wanted to replace them. I tried ordering WT1-32 blades online, but what arrived wasn't right at all. Wrong blade, wrong mount. The part number matched but I think somebody stuck the wrong blades into the correct box.

I tried truck stops. Nope, none long enough. And their mounts were too wide.

I tried O'Reilly Auto Parts and they sold me a Trico brand 32" RV blade. But it too was the wrong one. It had a metal arm frame and didn't flex nearly enough. And besides the mount was too wide.

I took my old WT1-32 to the same O'Reilly's and the guy established that my old ones are the so-called "Automotive Hook" type of mount, NOT the wider Truck or RV type of hook mount. Thanks Newmar.

So he sold me the longest "automotive hook" ones he had, 29" Trico Force. And by golly -- these fit and so far work very well. And I'm not sure the shorter length is a problem. These are the same very flexible "beam" type as my old WT1-32. No metal frame on top of the blade.

I also just sent an Email to Newmar asking what they recommend, but haven't received a reply yet. For now, these new shorter Trico Force blades seem to work well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2022, 03:14 AM   #2

Woody-

According to an online WiperTech application guide (link here), the "correct" blade for your coach is the WT8-32. The RV Upgrade Store sells both the WT8-32 (link here) and the WT1-32 (link here), although they list the WT8-32 as currently out of stock.

The 9mm auto J-hook vs. 12mm RV J-hook is a common issue with replacements. Some folks have altered the arm to use the smaller J-hook, so they can buy an automotive blade. Some folks buy shorter blades. On my former coach I found that 28-inch blades worked better than 32-inch blades.

That all said, you now have blades that work, which is great!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:11 AM   #3

I have a pair of new in box 32 inch blades that were spare for our Bay Star. We have since downsized to a Class B (and loving it - wish we’d done it years ago!). I’d give them to anyone who wants them - I have been planning to take them to an RV park someday and see if anyone with a big rig wants them. I would be happy to send them for the price of shipping but have wondered if that might not be just as expensive for someone as buying retail. Live in the Indianapolis area.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #4

I have 33" air foil blades that work great. If I were buying new wipers, I think the 28" ones would work just fine. I also have the smaller J hook connectors.

When I had my coach serviced once they said I needed new wipers, which I did but just hadn't changed them yet. Their price was $37 each, said no thank you.
I went to Menards (big box store upper midwest) where they had a large selection of wipers, bought 3 28" wipers for 2.99 each, pulled the rubber sweeps out of them, cut to length, and put the sweeps into my 33" blades. That left a splice area 5" up from the bottom of the wiper but you don't even notice the water mark there. It worked so good that I went back and bought more $2.99 wipers, so I now have enough for a couple more changes.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Woody-

According to an online WiperTech application guide (link here), the "correct" blade for your coach is the WT8-32. The RV Upgrade Store sells both the WT8-32 (link here) and the WT1-32 (link here), although they list the WT8-32 as currently out of stock.

The 9mm auto J-hook vs. 12mm RV J-hook is a common issue with replacements. Some folks have altered the arm to use the smaller J-hook, so they can buy an automotive blade. Some folks buy shorter blades. On my former coach I found that 28-inch blades worked better than 32-inch blades.

That all said, you now have blades that work, which is great!
Mark and all the others who responded,

Thank you all. And Mark, thanks for the WT link. I never found that. It says the proper blade for my coach is the WT8-32. And interestingly, Newmar got back to me with the same information -- WT8-32.

So how did the WT1-32 blades that my RV shop installed fit and work? I don't get it.

And when I try to look at photos, they're all mixed up. The same photos are sometimes called WT1 and sometimes called WT8. And sometimes photos of the WT1 show a beam blade and other times show a full frame blade. Too confusing.

But the explanation of 9mm "J-hook" arms and 12mm "J-hook" arms makes all the sense in the world. Thanks for pointing that out. I was pretty sure something like that was going on, but couldn't confirm it.

Now to proof being in the pudding. After my drive in the rain yesterday, I can confirm that the 28" Trico Force 29-25-290 (at just under $50 for a pair) blades worked perfectly! In fact I'm thinking that 28" is just fine. I can't think that three more inches would be any better -- at least not for me.

I'll also report that the blades don't wipe the windshield area in front of the side mirrors -- and 32" wouldn't help that. HOWEVER what did help seeing the mirrors was applying Rain-X to the extremely curved edges (sides) of the windshield did help seeing the mirrors a lot.

Rain-X didn't seem to help at all in the middle of the windshield -- probably because it's too flat. But at the curved sides in front of the mirrors, rain streamed off very well.

Besides getting me safely through the rain storm, I learned a good source for wiper blades that should be available from most Auto Parts stores. And that's very worthwhile to know at the last minute.

One last thing regarding replacement blades. Newmar wants $65.58 per blade!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

what are the proper wiper blades for a 2018 Thor windsport 31z? Appreciate it.
Haeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #7

Windshield wiper blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
When I bought our 2008 KSDP 3623 it had the wrong wiper blades mounted. The RV shop had a heck of a time finding ones that would work. But they finally found that Wiper Technologies WT1-32 Contour blades worked and they mounted them.

That was four years ago. The blades are still OK, but not great. And a storm is coming for my next drive. So I wanted to replace them. I tried ordering WT1-32 blades online, but what arrived wasn't right at all. Wrong blade, wrong mount. The part number matched but I think somebody stuck the wrong blades into the correct box.

I tried truck stops. Nope, none long enough. And their mounts were too wide.

I tried O'Reilly Auto Parts and they sold me a Trico brand 32" RV blade. But it too was the wrong one. It had a metal arm frame and didn't flex nearly enough. And besides the mount was too wide.

I took my old WT1-32 to the same O'Reilly's and the guy established that my old ones are the so-called "Automotive Hook" type of mount, NOT the wider Truck or RV type of hook mount. Thanks Newmar.

So he sold me the longest "automotive hook" ones he had, 29" Trico Force. And by golly -- these fit and so far work very well. And I'm not sure the shorter length is a problem. These are the same very flexible "beam" type as my old WT1-32. No metal frame on top of the blade.

I also just sent an Email to Newmar asking what they recommend, but haven't received a reply yet. For now, these new shorter Trico Force blades seem to work well.

Bought mine on Amazon. Trico brand o.e. #67-324

Tags
wind, windshield