Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Windshield Wipers

It’s quite a trauma when the rain is pouring down, and the windshield wipers won’t work, and you are on the interstate with no place to stop. I can assure you it isn’t any fun.

With heavy rain coming down, the wipers started making a strange noise and then the driver’s side wiper hung up on the windshield frame and wouldn’t move.

We survived and finally got home without incident, but this problem had to be fixed. I inspected the system and found that the driver’s side windshield mounting fixture was completely loose, and it seemed that the frame mounting fixture was damaged. I could see lots of expensive body work to correct this problem.

I have the very best RV services providers in the Myrtle Beach area. With fear of the diagnosis, I made an appointment with my chassis service guy (Larry’s Auto Clinic) and hoped for the best.

When I arrived at the service facility I discussed the problem with Larry. During our conversation he said something to his mechanic, and we continued our conversation. I asked if he needed my extended warranty info, and he said we might not need it.

I went to the MH to observe what was going on. The mechanic was tightening the securing nut on the wiper arm mounting fixture. In just a moment he was finished and said that he had also tightened the locking nut on the other wiper as well. He also adjusted the arc in which the arms traveled. All was fixed, and it took just 15 minutes.

There are two morals to this story:
1. If you are in the Myrtle Beach area and have a chassis problem, see Larry’s Auto Clinic (843 293-2205).
2. The torque put on our windshield wiper systems with our large single piece windshields and accompanying long arms and blades is very great. Checking the mounting nut security should become a standard maintenance procedure to save you stress on the highway.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Glad you got it fixed, easily and cheaply. Larry's is definitely the place to go around Myrtle Beach, this forum has lots of postings over the years recommending Larry's.

Newmar had a rash of wiper arms in the 2007-8 model years that were not torqued correctly, ours was among them. Fortunately I was alerted by this forum of this and torqued them properly to prevent an incident like this. Here is the TSB issued by Newmar related to this issue
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Having had similar issues, yes multiple failures, I have learned that RainX is my best friend! It is a good backup until the wiper issue is resolved.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I had almost an identical thing happen to me. Leaving Zion last April. North of St George on I-15, we hit a heavy snowstorm. The wind was blowing snow / rain mix. Only one wiper was working and it decided to stop as you described. I was able to pull over and had the tools to fix the driver's side. The shaft on passenger side was completely stripped and not repairable, but I was able to get the driver side tightened and working, and remove the passenger side arm. We finished that trip with only the driver side wiper, but never needed them again after that snowy travel day. Still trying to find the replacement parts for the passenger side.

This was from the co-pilot's chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	108057  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

It seems that this windshield wiper problem was common in the 2007-2011 time frame.

The problem is that the locking nut on the mounting fixture (it’s called a pivot shaft) gets loose and allows the shaft to move freely in the pivot shaft hole. It has been suggested that this problem is caused by not enough torque applied to the pivot lock nut upon installation.

If the problem is caught in time, the simple solution is to re-torque the locking nut to 20 to 30 ft. lbs. That fixed my problem, at least for the time being.

If the problem isn’t caught early, the pivot shaft threads can be damaged and cause all sorts of problems.

We don’t know if providing the correct torque on the pivot locking nut will be a permanent solution.

There are actually two nuts that need to be re-torqued:
1. Pivot shaft nut: It requires a 1” open end wrench on my coach – 20 t0 30 ft. lbs.

2. Wiper arm nut: It requires a 9/16” wrench or socket on my – 30 ft. lb.

I had a pretty long discussion about this issue with Newmar. Here the results.
1. It would be wise to inspect the pivot shaft often and re-torque as required.

2. Mark the lock nut and pivot arm with a magic marker to visually see if the nut moves.

3. If it is determined that the nut is backing off, Re-torque it after applying red lock tight.

Most of us don’t have a torque wrench with a 1” open end to measure the torque where an open end wrench is required. Here’s a work around.

1. My 1" combination wrench is 12” in length from the center of the open end to the center of the boxed end fitting.

2. A weight of 30 lbs. can be suspended from the box end and that will produce the 30 ft. lbs. on the nut.

3. Water may be the easiest way to get the proper weight. 1 gallon of water weighs 8.345 lbs. With my 12” long “lever arm”, 3.59 gallons of water suspended from the wrench will provide the 30 ft. lbs.

4. If your wrench doesn’t produce a 12” lever arm, just use this equation. Gal:water = 3.59 * 12 / lever arm length

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2005 Mountain Aire with the split windshield. The drivers side wiper goes too far to the left, past the start of the bend in the windshield. Can this be adjusted, and How? Dealer said you would have to replace the whole wiper system for $2000!
triker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triker08 View Post
I have a 2005 Mountain Aire with the split windshield. The drivers side wiper goes too far to the left, past the start of the bend in the windshield. Can this be adjusted, and How? Dealer said you would have to replace the whole wiper system for $2000!
I would be very surprised if the windshield start and stop position can't be adjusted, but you might not be able to adjust the length of the arc.

Call Newmar and they will tell you how to do any adjustment.

If it ever worked right, I suspect that the current problem is the same pivot arm nut torque as mine was.

Re-torquing the lock nuts and adjusting the start and stop point of the wipers should be a 15 minute project.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I've been able to find replacement parts for the wipers on our 05 DSDP at MILL SUPPLY at 800 888 5072. I've gotten new arms and the 3/8 Tapered Knurled Driver,
part# 49-183, which is the splined adapter from the wiper shaft to the wiper arm, from them.
They were helpful and easy to work with.
CHUCK05DSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help.
triker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #10

Having problem with the 32" wiper J hook mechanism staying hooked on the J hook arm. Have had the blade assembly come out of the J hook several times when driving. Small plastic catch didn't seems to stay hooked. Anyone have similar problem with the seating of the J hook? If so what did you do to correct. New blades aren't the answer. Tried it.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #11

Before I can comment I need to know what is a j hook, where is it located on the wsw arm??? I am working with several problems in that area and would like to read what is going on with ws wipers.
mtnpush is offline   Reply With Quote