Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #1

Angry Windshield Wipers Beating up the RIG!

Hey folks, we bought this 2005 Essex 4502 a couple of weeks ago and drove it from NC to Spokane, WA and one of the things that just isn't right are the windshield wipers. They are beating the fiberglass shroud to bits! I pulled over and put gorilla tape on the shroud so it wouldn't continue to dig into it.

Do these things have adjustments? Are there "stops" that are supposed to prevent the wipers from going out too far?

I finally had to stop using them as it got so bad the wiper blade started coming off, and I had to tape THAT back on....ssshsss. crazy.

And the noise! Oh my goodness! It just SLAMS those wipers to the outside so hard! When they come back to the middle they don't appear to hit the middle with the same force.

Any help is appreciated. (I know you're going to see a lot of post as I have some many questions...my next one will be about water pressure...or the lack of it)

Thanks again.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 06:16 PM   #2

Although my wiper assembly is likely different; inspect your wiper motor and crank assembly. Mine worked loose and allowed the wiper motor drive/crank arm to slip on the splined gearbox shaft enough to allow the wiper arm to over-stroke and hit the coach body.
I removed the crank arm and peened around the enlarged hole to make it smaller. I reinstalled the crank arm nut as tight as i dared, them reattached the motion transfer links. Then bought a new motor and crank arm when I got home.
The wipers work so well, my new motor and drive/crank arm is still in a storage bay.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

We had a 04 Essex for 14 years and never had problems with windshield wipers. On our 18 London Aire the passengers side windshield wiper arm wasn't adjust right so the wiper come down and hit the fiberglass under windshield. Spent 4 hours removing arm assembly to clock it correctly so it didn't come down so far. Nut stripped and arm didn't want to go on shaft in the position it needed to be so it didn't hit fiberglass body. Sounds like you need to do the same.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

It is possible that the wiper arms are installed on the posts in the wrong position or that the linkage is worn. Does there seem to be any looseness in the wiper arms ? with them shut off try gently moving them back & forth in the direction of travel. If loose the linkage is worn . If the wiper arm is easily moved a good distance it could be loose on the shaft.
If you are in doubt any good local mechanic should be able to at least diagnose the problem.
Roy-c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #5

Wiper blades too long? Where do they park, down or center? Do they sweep across the windshield the same each time? Is there a plate where the arms mount that has a smaller post that's not used?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:40 PM   #6

Windshield Wipers Beating up the RIG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Wiper blades too long? Where do they park, down or center? Do they sweep across the windshield the same each time? Is there a plate where the arms mount that has a smaller post that's not used?

They park center.
I took a bunch of pictures as itís so difficult to get my head in a good enough position to see and understand whatís going on. Plus I need to have them on while Iím underneath and watching. Just havenít had time to do all of that....so many other pressing issues.

BUT! I will attempt to look at it this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, do you think calling Newmar would help?
Old 07-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #7

Okay, 2005 Essex owner...really need your input on this.

In order to get FULL access to the windsheild wipers I need to remove the fiberglass panel that holds the name ESSEX. It 'looks' to me that it can be done....my question..Has anyone done this?

I think if I can remove that panel, then I'll have full access to the windshield wiper mechanism and have a better chance of understanding what's going on and why it's beating up the fiberglass panel.

It could be as simple as removing the wipers and cleaning out the spines (in other post I've read) and reattaching them...but without removing that panel it's going to be almost impossible....and I don't really want to take it to someone for this kind of an issue...I 'should' be able to figure this out!

Thanks folks!
Old 08-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #8

Hey folks...just checking in again to get this back on top in the hopes of someone seeing this....Has anyone with a like rig removed that panel in front? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

Question for you: are the windshield wipers mounted on the genny slide out or are they mounted to a portion of the non-moving cap? If they are mounted to a non-moving portion of the cap I would think that sliding out the genny would give you plenty of access to the back of the wiper stuff. Pics would help, since you're not attracting many '05 owners.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

Well, Iím glad you asked for pictures as I just went out and took more and I think I now see itís very easy to remove that Essex panel. Hereís some photos, but yes, there is Ďsomeí room but itís very tight. Now that Iím almost 100% sure I can remove the panel it will expose the wiper mechanism completely. Thanks for your help!!

View from the front:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	498.0 KB
ID:	338080
View from the side, you can see the damage caused by the wipers.

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	569.7 KB
ID:	338081
View from the side, the panel doesnít move.

Name:	IMG_4111.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	590.8 KB
ID:	338082
View looking up into the panel and the generator.

Name:	IMG_4112.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	338083
Looking upwards into the space between the panel and where the wipers are located.

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	338084
The panel is mounted on six rubber mounts that can be removed easily! I didnít see that before. But thanks to you asking for pictures I now know I can remove the panel and have full access to the washer mechanism... I think.

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	338085

Okay, Iím going to take it apart tomorrow and post more pictures.

Woohoo! Headway!!
Old 08-14-2021, 10:39 PM   #11

Windshield Wipers Beating up the RIG!

Welp...an update on the on going project.

I removed the front panel by removing all the screws from the back of the panel....but guess what? You Don't Have TO! AAAAH!!

There are two screws on the side that you remove and then you can YANK off the panel.

But..I didn't know that until I removed all the nuts and washers from the back.

So, anyone that's looking to adjust or even just clean out the holes where the rain water is supposed to drain from, it's an easy job removing that front panel (Pics below).

Now I just need to figure out how to adjust things...hopefully I'll have more info tomorrow.

Some of the pictures below show how filthy things were behind the panel, as well as the shape of the wipers arms. The last two are the stand off's that I should have left on the rig, but as you can see they are very damaged so I am looking into getting new ones.

I found this place (here) but I'm not sure which ones to get. I'm going to call them on Monday to see if they can help me figure it out.

Do you think it makes sense to just purchase new wipers arms? I am planning on installing 28" wiper blades in the hopes that it stops beating up the fiberglass cowling.

Oh, and hoping to take the panel into an auto-body shop and see if they can repair the damage and repaint it. Hopefully it shouldn't be too expensive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front view with essex panel off-dirty.jpg
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	339626   Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield-wipers1.jpg
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	339627  

Name:	connection-joint.jpg
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	339628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield-washer-adjustment-screws.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	339630  

Name:	Windshield-drain-holes.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	339631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4262.JPG
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	339632  

Name:	Specs-door-holder.png
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	339635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand-offs-Door-Holder1.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	339636  

Name:	Stand-offs-Door-Holder2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	339637  
Old 08-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
TriMoot....I can't believe how much those wipers tore up that cowl. Those wipers are called pantograph wipers. This may be a good link to a company that sells what you need. I think I would rebuild from the ground up, as many parts as they can provide. I responded to your other post about changing them to horizontal. I think I would just rebuild them and leave them alone, other than adjust them. I had the verticals, on a split windshield on my Diplomat....I got use to them pretty quickly.

https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...arm-pantograph
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
TriMoot....I can't believe how much those wipers tore up that cowl. Those wipers are called pantograph wipers. This may be a good link to a company that sells what you need. I think I would rebuild from the ground up, as many parts as they can provide. I responded to your other post about changing them to horizontal. I think I would just rebuild them and leave them alone, other than adjust them. I had the verticals, on a split windshield on my Diplomat....I got use to them pretty quickly.

https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...arm-pantograph

Thanks Don, yes I agree, just going to rebuild. I checked out that website, shows those wipers are sold out. Iíll call in the morning.

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #14

Well I found some that said they'd be here in a week:

https://www.millsupply.com/pantograp...-arm-49426.php

Thanks everyone. As soon as I get them I'll post my experience.

I read here, that I have to be careful when putting these on as it's a one time shot.

If anyone has done this before, any installation/alignment tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tags
wind, windshield, wipers