Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Winegard satellite antenna question

Hello,
I'm looking at a newer coach, and one of the options on the build sheet is the Winegard sk300. So how do I know if this works for dish or direct tv? I prefer dish, since we are subscribers already.
If it is setup for direct tv, can the antenna be re-programmed?
Thanks
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
Hello,
I'm looking at a newer coach, and one of the options on the build sheet is the Winegard sk300. So how do I know if this works for dish or direct tv? I prefer dish, since we are subscribers already.
Thanks
Save your money and find a dealer for RF Mogul in your area. You don't want to get involved with Winegard Customer service (or should I say lack thereof )
Old 12-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

The SK300 is for DirecTV, the SK1000 is for dish. Winegard Trav'lers are fine units, built better and great Winegard support, and lower cost than RF Mogul.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The SK300 is for DirecTV, the SK1000 is for dish. Winegard Trav'lers are fine units, built better and great Winegard support, and lower cost than RF Mogul.
Either you work for Winegard or you've not had problems with your traveler and have to send it back to them for repairs. Do a search on this forum.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

I don't work for Winegard. But I have one Trav'ler on the trailer for over 7 years with no problems and a second Trav'ler on the Bounder for two years. Neither had had a problem.

I don't know how someone can break two Trav'lers in less years, I do read the threads.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks
RickyR, check this out before you commit to Winegard.

https://rfmogul.com/index.html
Old 12-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Winegard Traveler with Directv programing, Love it! Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Ok, so that is the answer then..So will consider my options. I'd rather see if the 300 can be modified then to swap units. I will still also look at the mogul units as well. I may have to hold off on both, since I may be riding off more than I can chew with the new RV.... Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
Winegard Traveler with Directv programing, Love it! Jim E. OKC
I loved mine also until the day I went to upgrade the LNB.
During the software upload I had a power failure and disaster ensued. Granted the power failure had nothing to do with Winegard but from that moment on (6months ago) it has gotten to the point where the Traveler is still not working, Winegard does not return my calls.
First I was told I need a new controller. So I buy a new controller. No go.
Then,
They told me I had to send the whole Turret back for Factory Repair which amounted to installing new firmware. Like one of their fully qualified local dealers aren't capable of uploading new firmware.
Imagine boxing this thing up and sending it.

After about six weeks I get it back and it does lock on the satellites. Now I'm told I need a new GPS antenna. This is the 3rd new GPS antenna in two years. So I get the 3rd new GPS antenna and still no go.

Since winter has arrived (no satellite TV all summer) and the coach is in storage, it will wait until spring when I will try replacing the coax cables. If that don't work, it will become a boat anchor.

So, yes, mine was great for nearly five years. But when it fails, and the best product will eventually fail, you will get a true test of the Winegard Customer Service.

Former Winegard dealers I've talked to say they will not handle the product any longer because of the policy that everything has to go back to the factory for repair. Even for the simple things like a firmware upload which in the end takes 6-8 weeks. These dealers are going over to RF Mogul.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #10

Travelr has been great .
Road tested at 70mph by accident.
No issues.
One call to service resulted in procedures email in 5 minutes.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #11

Have had two travler failures on the same trailer. Last one came back today, over 500 dollars worth plus shipping. Winegard has zero customer replacement parts. You must ship to them $$$ pay more $$ to troubleshoot, and more $$$ for the repairs and return shipping. RFMogul might be a bit more expensive up front, but at least it can be repaired right on your RV.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Have had two travler failures on the same trailer. Last one came back today, over 500 dollars worth plus shipping. Winegard has zero customer replacement parts. You must ship to them $$$ pay more $$ to troubleshoot, and more $$$ for the repairs and return shipping. RFMogul might be a bit more expensive up front, but at least it can be repaired right on your RV.
I hear you, rest assured they will Never see another dime of my money.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Coastal Campers
Thanks again for the info..
Can o' worms just got opened...
Looks like I may just use my king tailgater until I figure things out..
Oh, but first..... I got to make the deal on the coach.....
Old 12-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks again for the info..
Can o' worms just got opened...
Looks like I may just use my king tailgater until I figure things out..
Oh, but first..... I got to make the deal on the coach.....
First things first, good luck.

Tags
antenna, satellite