Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #141

Well cool, I now own a classic car, classic boat and a classic motorhome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #142

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Within one model year after Thor buying them, I noticed that Entegra started changing sound systems and other components on their Cornerstone and top end units. Buyers revolted and sales dropped forcing them to change back. I also heard complaints over poorer build quality as well. Lets hope Winnebago doesn't follow that trend.
I’m guessing you heard that from other Newmar owner’s, not Entegra owners; didn’t happen. This morning I made positive posts about the Newmar/Winnebago deal because no one knows what the eventual outcome will be. Please don’t try to make yourself feel better (or others feel worse) or prove it’s the end of the world by passing on hearsay anecdotes that have no basis in reality.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #143

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxstevedore View Post
Glad this happened now. Have been researching for next purchase. Having second thoughts now.
Dave
god help the guy who is buying the coach they are working on today after they hear the news.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I’m guessing you heard that from other Newmar owner’s, not Entegra owners; didn’t happen. This morning I made positive posts about the Newmar/Winnebago deal because no one knows what the eventual outcome will be. Please don’t try to make yourself feel better (or others feel worse) or prove it’s the end of the world by passing on hearsay anecdotes that have no basis in reality.
Can’t speak for Entegra but Winnebago builds garbage!
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #145

Send a message via Yahoo to literod Send a message via Skype™ to literod
It makes sense

From what I understand, Newmar has cut its quality for the past two model years (18 & 19). They no longer boast of "hung" walls (they have joined with the cheaper to build and cheaper quality, bonded walls) and have lower R factors than they had prior to 2018. Perhaps it took these actions to improve the bottom line in an effort to get more money when the company was sold. Makes sense and perhaps that is why we have already seen the quality suffer.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #146

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree, what Bill said above is correct.
The first thing Winni will do is try and people peoples mind to rest by saying no changes here but behind the scenes the bean counters will be trying to wring out efficiencies everywhere they can by quality, overhead, and warranty.

Say nothing about the lack of competition now and how it will effect retsail prices.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
DOOM - GLOOM! Take a deep breath!

OK...Just like most Newmar owners I felt a little sick to my stomach when I heard this news. Those of us attending the HOOTS gathering are expecting to see some Newmar executives this Thursday morning perhaps we will be the first user group to get a piece of...err...a chance to chat about this.

Things change so it doesn't help to get get our panties all wrapped around the axle yet. We have some things to consider.

Thor industries owns a couple, well respected brands being Enetegra and Airstream. It seems that these brands are holding their own. Neither of those brands seem to refer to themselves as Winnebagos or other hybrid monickers.

Let's face it. Most of us think we are owners of the best, production-line built MHs that are less than $1M. Too many of us tend to even be a bit snobbish about it.

IMHO, what makes Newmar stand out among other coaches is two fold. The first is the ability to make modifications to the basic production model. The second is a highly skilled workforce that is second to none.

I've seen many other coaches and feel I have one that is better built to some degree than others. I've seen some "top of the line" coaches with shoddy designs and cheap appointments that don't come close to my "middle of the line" Dutchstar.

All that being said, Newmar is not immune to issues. Let's face it, 2016 was not a banner year for the Dutchstar line. Front axle and full wall slide issues created a coach who's weight ballooned over previous years. Who amongst us hasn't had some concerns about the increased number of units built and the impact on quality control?

All that being said, if Winnebago Industries (WGO) approaches this with a similar model in mind like Thor Industries applied to Entegra, then I suggest the Newmar name will continue to be looked at as a top notch coach manufacturer. Of course, this remains to be seen. A pragmatic wait-and-see attitude is not unfair at all and probably better for your heart.

Let's wait a little bit before we pronounce Newmar, as we know it, dead.

EXACTLY!! As I said before I went through this with Entegra and at some point had every emotion mentioned by everyone in this thread. Bottom line, Entegra, as is Airstream are thriving as subsidiaries of Thor and I expect Newmar will do the same as part of Winnebago. There will absolutely be some changes, some we will see as good and some not so much but I am going to sit back and watch before I make a big decision that I might regret. All JMHO
Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #148

Well, maybe I’ll get that order in for a new coach sooner rather than later...
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #149

Coastal Campers
Winnebago bought Newmar, so they could learn how to build a windshield frame that won't fall apart from rust. A very expensive investment to learn a trade secret. I'll bet once they learn how to properly build a coach, they sell Newmar back to the Millers at a discount..............
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #150

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Winnebago acquires Newmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by literod View Post
From what I understand, Newmar has cut its quality for the past two model years (18 & 19). They no longer boast of "hung" walls (they have joined with the cheaper to build and cheaper quality, bonded walls) and have lower R factors than they had prior to 2018. Perhaps it took these actions to improve the bottom line in an effort to get more money when the company was sold. Makes sense and perhaps that is why we have already seen the quality suffer.

When did Newmar switch to bonded pressure laminated walls ? I don’t believe this is correct ... did I miss something?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #151

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
The first thing Winni will do is try and people peoples mind to rest by saying no changes here but behind the scenes the bean counters will be trying to wring out efficiencies everywhere they can by quality, overhead, and warranty.

Say nothing about the lack of competition now and how it will effect retsail prices.
What lack of competition? The same models are being offered today at the same prices today as were offered last week. Winnebago and Newmar models are still competing with each other.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #152

I'm not sure it's doom and gloom as much as it's apprehension and uncertainty. Until we get more information, we can't be certain of anything.

Newmar was/is a different company. There service was top notch. Their customers often felt part of a family and held fierce loyalty. Is that a thing of the past? Are we Newmar owners or are we Winnebago owners. Not knowing, especially considering the invests we've made in our motorhomes, is a bit scary.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #153

Typically these things happen to create value, not to destroy it. Sometimes it does not happen but most times it does.

My prediction is that Winnebago will retain the Newmar brand for the high end coaches and drastically cut the number of models at the bottom of the Newmar line. This could be a good thing. And maybe we will begin to see proper documentation for the product and better electrical system fit and finish.

Newmar has been pumping way too many SKU's through the factory. Made no sense to built 9 coaches a day all different models.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
When did Newmar switch to bonded pressure laminated walls ? I don’t believe this is correct ... did I miss something?
No, they are still hung walls, same R value as previous years, have in process build pictures to prove it on our 2020 Dutch Star build that is going into paint tomorrow. Why do people speak (or type and post) without research?
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, sale, winnebago